Stress (spider crack) by rub rail

sergiophil

Seaman
Okay folks, going over my boat while I'm rebuilding the floor, I noticed a spot on my run rail that has some stress or spider cracks. This an easy fix?

I've done research seems that you grind down a little then get a gel coat repair kit? Any certain kit or can I use the gel coat I'm getting to put on my floor? I have a spot on bottom of my hull that I have to repair to, which I assume be the same process? Sand the area down, fill in with gel coat, then sand, polish, wax?
I'll get some pictures next couple days.
Any info greatly appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The problem with spider cracks is they will return quickly if you just do a quick repair.

​You need to figure out why it cracked, fix the problem, route out the cracks, fill them with something stronger than just gel coat, then try to get the color to match. Many times it look more obvious after the repair than before, and the cracks come back the first time the area is stressed or flexed.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Just out of curiosity, what kind of boat? If we're talking about a workhorse fishing boat, nobody's gonna care about a few spider cracks in the gelcoat.

sergiophil

Seaman
I have a 99 bayliner capri 1954, it is not terrible now probably about a 2 inch wide spot. Just trying to figure it out since I am rebuilding the whole boat.