Ebbtide Opinions

smiles16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good Morning fellas!

Some of you have been responding to my posts concerning my rotten Sea Sprite. However, due to my lack of time and proper work area, I have decided to set this boat aside. I may part out the good, or just leave it until time allows.

Anyway, I am looking at a 1986 Ebbtide Catalina on Saturday. Its a 19.5ft bowrider with a 305 Merc and Alpha one.

I know what to look for as far as the engine and general structure, but as y'all know, without drilling or xray vision there's no way to see the wood core condition. I do not have a moisture meter, nor do I trust them.

Does anyone here have experience with this brand and vintage? Quality of Construction? Any miscellaneous known issues?

Any advice is appreciated.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its a 32+ yr old boat. Its actual condition (as w your Sea Sprite) is much more important then how it left the factory, no matter how well built.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I think Ebbtide has a pretty good fan base but like JB said at that age it doesn't much matter what is was like new it's how it was taken care of since. I'd rather a well maintained Bayliner than a neglected Cobalt.

smiles16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree with that 100%, unfortunately learned it the hard way. I just wanted to get a feel for the original quality.

To use your words ezmobee, my mindset was that A poorly maintained cobalt may be able to take the abuse better than a poorly maintained bayliner.

Just to refresh my memory and checklist for the structural check, please let me know if I am forgetting something or if there an alternative I don't know about.

- Tap test stringers and inner transom glass
- look for de-laminated glass
- look for transom flex
- pull drain plug housing
- inspect total hull outside
- Sniff the ski locker and bilge area

byson2

Seaman
I bought a "nice" older (96 model) boat last fall and put a lot of faith in the fact that the original interior, carpet, engine and outdrive looked awesome....only to find out later when I had a change to actually dig into it, that the stringers were rotten. I'm in the process of replacing them right now. With that being said, unless one can drill a few core samples in key places, you're taking a gamble. It's something I'll never do again if I ever buy another used older boat with wood construction-unless it's very cheap or free. On a boat that old (IMHO) you're taking another gamble unless you can verify through core samples, there is no rot. I realize one really can't expect a seller to allow that but on the other hand, a seller really can't expect an educated buyer to believe a 32+ boat doesn't have issues. Good luck with whatever you do.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In my experience an Ebbtide should have been a nice boat when it left the factory. The local marina used to be a dealer for them and I came close to buying a new one back in about 2004. I looked them over pretty good and was impressed. They use very little wood. The fit and finish was really good and their reputation in general seems to be very good.

smiles16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know it's a gamble, but for his price, I'll take the risk if all checks out. I can make 60% of my investment back by selling the powertrain alone.

Unfortunately my Sea Sprite taught me how to properly use the "tap test." After drilling bore holes and discovering the rot, I banged on it for a good while and then immediately drove to bass pro and repeated that test on a freshly built Tahoe (while no one was looking haha). The difference in sound was night and day.

smiles16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well fellas, I bought it.

While I did use the tap test, I backed it up by pulling through fitting on the transom to check for rot and all was well. The stringers and floor were great too. I honestly could not believe how nicely the glasswork was done. I am actually wondering if someone had a full restoration on it in the past.

I have a couple minor things to iron out in the engine bay, but I'd rather turn a wrench than mix resin personally.

Just thought I'd follow up with you guys, thanks a million for the help/advice!

smiles16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Your absolutely right ez... forgot all about it

Attachments

• photo259568.JPG
    photo259568.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259569.JPG
    photo259569.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259570.JPG
    photo259570.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo259571.JPG
    photo259571.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Muscle boats, way better than their automotive counterparts.

so no that you own it do some drilling to see how well the tap test worked

smiles16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

My 4200 finally came in the mail plus had to mount a transducer. So redneck joe, here's a pic of the borehole in the transom. Tap test works if you know the sound difference ahead of time.

Anyways, borehole produced nice dry wood. Saw the same thing in the garbord plug.

Attachments

• photo260918.JPG
    photo260918.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1