What model boat is this?

Ricky Dale

Recruit
Looking to make this a small bay boat that I can also take to lakes with a 9.9hp limit. Got it for next to nothing, has no rot, was used as a crab boat on the Elizabeth River. There is no evidence on any ID plates ever being on this hull, VGIF will have to send someone to the boat to determine the HP and capacity limits before they will give me a VIN so that I can register it. Any help on what make and model this is would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20170221_123336.jpg IMG_20170221_123355.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it may not have rot, however is the foam water filled?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a OLD Carolina skiff. a 9.9 should be no problem. I do see those holes at the bottom of the transom, that tells me the foam is water logged under the floor. Raise the bow as high as you can get it let it drain more and hopefully dry out. Plug those holes afterwards! More pictures of the inside and transom please!
Look at the Upper Right side of the transom near the edge...Hull ID's were normally put there engraved or embossed into the transom.

Last edited:
G

That Boat is an old 14' McKee Craft, its like the southern version of a Boston Whaler. They normally came new with mahogany seats and a steering console, much like the Whalers did at that time.

But the real party trick behind these boats, was that a 13' Whaler was rated for 40 hp. Your boat was rated for 70 hp (!). I remember the NC Wildlife Officers flying around in these boats with a 70 Johnson on them and a blue strobe light.

There's a guy in my neighborhood who has one with a 55 Evinrude.

That being said, I doubt your boat will ever know there is a 9.9 on the transom.

G

Make sure you're 9.9 has a long shaft( 20" shaft), that boat has a 20 inch transom.