1976 Grady White Transom Rebuild

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
kcassells

Its ok, i figured it would fall down anyway.
How is your boat coming along?
I want to ask the yellow stuff in picture 2 to the right of the right stringer, do i need to remove that also? Its solid like bullet proof plastic?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
if your're referring to this "yellow" that is just foam that needs to come out. It for flotation ;
fetch

My little project is coming along. Thanks for asking. Drop by anytime if you feel sleepy.
You'll need to pour in some new stuff when you get to that point.
Carry on! looking great!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Different ways to remove.
Some guys use a wire wheel with a vacum to catch the dust. pretty messy.
Some cut it with a sawzall blade into squares then can pull it out with a crowbar in chunks. or a claw hammer.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Are you talking about the fabric? If that's the case try to save it cause you will be able to make a new pattern out of it when you get there. Also try to save the wood behind it if there is any for the template. It's a pleated marine vinyl.
Now if you aren't going back with a fabric then it of no use. I would save it for later just for the hey of it.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@kcassells

Thanks it is foam. I went back today to take a better picture and since air has gotten down there I can see now. It had a layer csm over it and I could not tell.

Before I remove the stringer I will measure and make a model on my pc. I want to add a icebox and livewell under there. When removing the stringer do I just remove the wood between the woven or cut the woven out with the wood? Meaning leave the shell of woven to reuse?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'd cut as much as I could instead of back and forth. Forget reusing the woven. Going back new from here on sir!;)

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@kcassells

Thanks, what about the cabin? Do i need to do anything there?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well there's your dilema, right? So much rot dictates the cabins wood is also shot, right? I didn't pull my cap, Others have for ease and access. I ended up doing inhuman contortions, pre-glassing, learning pb tolerances and new curse words. In the end it worked for me and the rear of my boat is like cotton candy work.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@kcassells

Lol. I know what you mean. I removed everything from the cabin. My stringers inside looks good. I say that because it looks impossible to remove its so solid. I will do everything but the cabin. I didn't plan on doing stringers but you, and the thought of having a much needed live well and ice box is the reason I did pull the floor up. Plus I may even decide to put the gas tank under the floor. I was looking at tanks the other day.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Drill a pc. out of thebunk and put yuor head in there for a looksie. Use a hole saw cause you can put the piece right back in. Also definitely take a look into the tank. Pressure test if you want to 3# to see if it holds. pics pics pics

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@kcassells

Man that csm cut the heck out of my leg. I got the floor off. Wood doesn't look bad to me. This middle stringer is rotten but the rest seems ok. I'm not an expert and not trying to avoid the work but I don't need to replace much. I have not cut the back where the transom is yet, I suspect there will be rot there. I may buy more foam to fill out sides port and starboard. Here some pictures

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
I'm going to get a moller gas tank from the Amazon. I don't think my aluminum tank that was above deck can fit in there. It may...

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
kcassells

I wanted to ask you. My stringer that runs down the middle of the deck, is that stringer needed? I was thinking of placing a gas tank in the back and that stringer runs right down the middle. It stops at the cabin and at the rear where the deck drops off to the bilge. Thats the one that is rotten so it will need to be replaced. Was wondering if I could just remove?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
USA, Pa. Take a good pic of the area. You may be able to get duel aluminum tanks in the current opening. You can have the alumunum made to fir the space.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@kcassells

Ok.Congratulations on the new Grandchild!

Back to picking your brain. I went over yesterday and took pictures with my camera, not the phone. Here is what i found while taking measurements. I removed the bulkhead that closes off the cabin because the wood was rotten. That stringer that goes down the middle continues under the cabin for about 6ft to the center point of the front of the boat WTF. Then when I placed my had under the cabin to feel whats under the cabin, of course its wood, wet wood. So i think when i remove that middle stringer I will have to cut the cabin floor. It seems that the cabin is shell that sets on top of the hull.What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_3612 copy.jpg
    IMG_3612 copy.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3583 copy.jpg
    IMG_3583 copy.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I had to do the exact same thig. there are pics on my snooze along. Cutting there is about the only option unless you pop the top. That stringer ties to your boats keel. Like the backbone.
I saved the glass and was able to put it back in on a new pc. of wood. That being said since you are going that far time to annee up and just get rid of all the wood in the boat.
Hey thanks...