1976 Grady White Transom Rebuild

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@dingbat

You said your on 94, that's wasn't your house with that boat with the 2 yahmahas hanging off the back.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Here's a Great saying by someone here on the forum;
DE Nile ain't just a river! LOL! :lol:
Get a sawsall { short metal blades, varying lengts** or skill saw set for 3/4+'. Trial cuts and exposure when you pull the old off will let you get more comfortable with more cutting.
Cut out the center area and work your way over to the sides. Just a beginning. You'll figa out da rest.
When things begin to get exposed measure, document and measure again. Pics will save your life down the line for the new wood install.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
@Woodonglass

Hey can you give me an estimate about how much 1708, mat I need to do transom, stringers, and deck for 76 Grady White weekender 19ft. Thanks

My guesstimate is 30 yds of 1708 & 20 gallons of resin 4 lbs of cabosil and 5 gallons of acetone

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@woodonglass

Shouldn't the name be glassonwood? Thanks for the help we talked before. So I do not need to buy any 1.5 or 2 oz mat? Cabosil says it's for expoxy resin is that ok to use even though I see everyone using it with poly. The place in ordering from even say it not for poly, but the show them mixing with poly.

Last edited:

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@kcassells

Ok so do not start in the back in the bilge area? Start at the center of the boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Cabosil works with either . The 1708 has CSM already stitched to it so no extra needed You may need 5 yds or so for the bottom side of the deck but that's about it woodonglass cuz my bucket list boat is an old fiberglass hull with the top cut off and replaced with a wood cap make it look like an old Chris Craft woody but keep the glass hull Best of both worlds 😜

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
Woodonglass

How long does the resin last? Shelf-life i mean. I found some cabosil on amazon for $11 for 5 quarts i got 2. They want 55 for 3 where i am ordering form. ANy recommendation to get the POLY and 1708 at a discount?

Last edited:

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
kcassells

I need to make one of those covers with PVC like you have on your boat. I get tired of trying to get under my BS boat cover bending. I need to make something so I can stand and block some sun out. How did you get your cover not to blow away with the PVC?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
No Title

I used multiple tarps. Pulled them up by laying on tarp onside of boat. Tied a rope to a pc. of 2x4. threw it over the boat and began pulling. Did this in 3 areas so all pulled up evenly. Roped eyelets to trailer. It's a continuous battle. Things get loose and tear. So I just keep throwing over more tarps as needed. There are so many sizes and prices so shop them out.

So I used some 2x4's as a backbone to hold pvc in place. Gorilla tape to join a pia but works. Ran pvc into old holes of rod holders and also taped to chrome railings. Some pvc "tees" cut bottom off of to wrap onto chrome rails. A million ways to do it.

Attachments

• photo263367.JPG
    photo263367.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Where are you located. Poly resin shelf life is usually about a Year or a little more IF BIG IF you keep it stored in a Dark, Dry Cool Place. Keep it Sealed till you use it and then Put plastic over the opening and then screw the lid down to keep it air tight after opening. If you have some local body shops I'd recommend asking them where they get their resin and order from them or buy some from the body shop. If not depending on your location I can Help you find a distributor. Shipping costs is what makes the Poly Resin more expensive since it's rated as a Hazardous Material.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
Woodonglass

i found one in maryland fiberglass site they are bout 1.5 hour drive from me. That is where I was going to order the 1708 and resin. I will just order 10 gallons for now. I should know how long it will take to ship if i get close to running out. i just put up my tent over the boat because i got tired of ran delaying me from spending at least 3 hours a day working on this. I clean it out yesterday got the controls removed, only thing left is my power for my tools.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ah man that interior shot of your boat is way toooooo Cleannnn! Looking good De! Cover up the tail end when your not using it. Rain blows in all directions. I've even glassed in the winter w/snow on top and 3' on the ground. Used a propane heater. Looking good!
Will get hot in there too in the summer so on the same note make sure you can let air move alittle.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@kcassells
Well the cover fell. I bought a carport and put over it. I cut some of the floor up. It seems that the stringers are not bad, well to me. It has a solid yellow type material that look like it was poured in the right and left side.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sorry to hear about the old cover but looks like you recovered!:) See some bad spots and not so bad. Still though it's time to take her apart. Looking good!