1965 Starcraft Jupiter Restore/Repurpose

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hull looks to be in great shape -- no dents or patches, just some minor paint scratches.

Starcraft Jupiter by Eric Schauber, on Flickr

Came with a 1973 Evinrude 65 -- middle piston is seized and I think the crank is damaged, lower unit is OK. Will probably tear it up and sell off parts, and repower with the 70 hp I currently have on the Mark Twain (seriously underpowered for that fg hull, should run like mad on the Jupiter)

Windshield gone -- not sure if I want to put one on or not. I like the access to the bow.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Windshield gone -- not sure if I want to put one on or not. I like the access to the bow.

If you do decide to put a windshield on it, I was able to adapt a more modern 3 piece shield from a newer boat to my Jupiter by just bowing it out a bit

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's a nice looking project, and you certainly got it for a good price.:encouragement:

I'll be tagging along. We have a 64 that is waiting in the wings to be restored. Good luck and keep those pictures coming.

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you do decide to put a windshield on it, I was able to adapt a more modern 3 piece shield from a newer boat to my Jupiter by just bowing it out a bit

ezmobee If I do put a windshield on it I'd want one like that that can open up for access.

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Which brings up my big dilemma:

My 1975 Mark Twain (see link in my sig) is an awesome boat, and I put a fair bit of work in redoing the interior back in 2010, but it's developed the dreaded "spongy deck, deteriorating transom" syndrome. And, no, I'm not going to restore it, which is part of why I've gone tin. It's got a '79 Johnson 70 hp that runs fantastic and would like to put on this Jupiter. So, my options are:

1) try to sell the MT & trailer without motor
2) leave the motor on the MT and sell it, then use proceeds to get a new motor for Jupiter
3) scrap the MT, scavenge goodies (including windshield?) for sale or use on the Jupiter, and sell the MT's trailer.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward option 3, unless someone can make a good argument otherwise. It does seem a shame to throw out what looks like a perfectly good boat (but I know it isn't....) FWIW, I got the MT for 900 with a non-working Evinrude 85 hp. I got back almost $600 parting out the 85, so I really don't have a lot invested in the MT money-wise.

As an aside, looking back at the MT thread, I can't believe how little my kids were back then.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I think the running motor off the MT is more valuable to you (and not to mention the ideal size/weight for a 16' SC) than how much it would increase the worth of the MT. I'd vote for option 3.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Awesome, you saved another tin SC from being a side yard dumpster!

Your Starmada ring and instructions for the secret handshake are in the mail. :lol:

Dump the Twain and transplant that 70 onto your sweet little Jup.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Awesome! Do we get to wear funny hats, too?

Yep
tinfoilhat.gif

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
My jupiter had the same mulch transom. And like yours some previous owner had reinforced it with a piece of angle. Except my angle was friggin 1/4" STEEL!

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Deck and side panels taken out

Foam actually wasn't very waterlogged -- just the stern starboard corner. However, it's been home to several rodents, and I'm going to replace with closed cell foam.

Center of transom not too bad, but port side is complete mush. Unfortunately did not come out intact but the starboard corner came out OK so I can use that as a template.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah that'e some punky rotten plywood right there alright. I'm a big fan of removing the splashwell so you can get in there and clean things up. Also make any repairs needed and it's easier to apply gluvit to the seams.

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
My plan is for this boat to be used for fishing, family fun, and also for duck hunting. So, I'm going for a muted color scheme, but not straight-up camo, and I'd like it to retain a little style. Here's something like what I'm thinking about:

I'm working on plans for separate interior setups for family fun (back-to-back seats, rear bench seat, similar to http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=67689) and for hunting (swivel chairs, long-wise bench, decoy & gun storage, blind material).