Amphibious Houseboat - "Beast of Burden" - Build Project

Showboating

Cadet
Finally back to working on the amphibious houseboat. For a few months the project got sidelined while he worked on other projects that actually paid money.
Just uploaded another video recapping the progress made so far, which I hope addresses some of the technical questions/concerns.

Still a lot of work to do, but plan is to have it in the water within a month or two.
As it slowly progresses, I'll continue to upload videos. No matter what happens, it should be fun to watch. Thanks everyone!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Im in!! Tagging a long for the ride!! Good luck Sir!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW a extremely ambitious project. But if you have the tools, the know how and capability, why not. :thumb:

Kelsonj

Cadet
Sounds like fun. Looks like it will displace a far amonut of water with the hull framed out and with it the interior stripped down I do t think bouyancy is an issue.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Forge ahead! I still say it will float just fine if you get her balanced fore to aft. (Uh-maybe have one of those inflatable life rafts on board too:)

Showboating

Cadet
After many delays and interruptions, this baby is finally done. The big launch will be Wednesday. That's when we find out if it's the greatest thing ever, or a total waste of time. Will post a video Wednesday night of the result. Fingers crossed. Been a wild journey, but glad for it to be over.

Here is the latest video of us attempting to start it for the first time...

alldodge

Staff member
That is so cool, congrats on the test road run. :thumb: Sure hope she runs as well when on the water

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Nothing but total admiration for having the ambition and guts to even try such a COLOSSAL feat!! I will definitely bet betting on your eventual success no matter what you encounter with your initial splash on Wednesday! Definitely will be watching.

Showboating

Cadet
Thrilled to update you all.... The "Beast Of Burden" has exceeded all our expectations. Such an amazing launch! The news of the launch somehow spread throughout the community. An unexpectedly large and random crowd turned up to watch as Captain Theon launched what is the byproduct of years of labor. The amazing support from everyone and being able to see the fruits of hard labor flourish, made for one beautiful experience.

Here is a brief recap we quickly put together amidst the celebrations...

Thanks again for checking it out. It's been a pleasure to share the project here and get feedback from knowledgeable boat owners/builders. I look forward to contributing to the forum in the future. Also, we've got a few other crazy projects lined up for the future including some more amphibious creations, subscribe to the youtube for those.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
very cool. didnt expect it to sit that level.

how does it handle in the water? looks like it plows a bit.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm alittle late for the party, but my hat's off to Theon,.... Brilliant repurposin' mind,.... ;)

20 years ago, I had a big hand(my idea, somebody else's money) in a barge build for use on the St. Lawrence,... equipment, 'n buildin' material transport,...

14'x 45' built outa ole propane tanks,... a stable 15 ton freighter,...