Amphibious Houseboat - "Beast of Burden" - Build Project

Showboating

Cadet
Hello,
I wanted to share with you all a project that we're working on, an amphibious houseboat. It is basically a salvaged 60s houseboat merged with a large tractor chassis. Might work, might sink, but either way it should be pretty epic and worth watching. I figured most of you would at the least appreciate the engineering obstacles. The project will be documented on YouTube, where we'll try to make it as exciting and crazy as possible.

Here is the first part that gives some basic info...

Here is how it currently sits...
beast%20tease.00_00_28_09.Still002_zpsb7xrwsbo.png

The plan is to have it launched on Cayuga Lake in New York at the start of the summer. There is still a ton of work to be done, but hopefully with help and emotional support from the boating community, it will be a success.

I'll keep this updated as the project continues, but you can also subscribe to the YouTube channel. Of course any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Any idea how much it will weigh? PFD's all around, please.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I will follow along out of morbid curiosity.

a few things that come to mind:
  • how much does it weigh, and has anyone done a buoyancy calculation?
  • if this thing is going to sit in the water for more than an hour or two, the axles you have were not intended to be submerged for long duration have you taken precautions with the differential, planetaries and the SAHR brakes? less concerned about whether the equipment ceases to function. more concerned about the environment when you start leaking gear lube and hydraulic oil
  • Are the tires foam filled? if so, make sure to consider that in your buoyancy calculations. the foam doesnt float (If they are foam filled, the only way to remove the foam is nitrogen and a sledge hammer - not worth the effort, simply find non-filled tires)

alldodge

Staff member
I'll follow for the same reason, and the hold my beer and watch this. There is a heck of a lot of weight with the running gear, but the tires may be enough to keep the items up. Just looking I think its going to be stern heavy and it will become a true submersible. Hope your environmental insurance is paid up.

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Now, this is something ya don't see everyday...tagging along to see what happens. I'm thinking...drive down to the launch ramp, (only a few miles), drive into the lake...catch fish...drive home...park in driveway...cook fish...eat fish...repeat every few days. No trailer, no slip fee, hmmm...

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Something like this
Gibbs-Humdinga-Amphibious-Truck.jpg

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I might have to get one of those...uh, almost afraid to ask...how much?

Last edited:

Showboating

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. Fantastic questions/concerns.

The one doing all the engineering (Theon) has crunched the numbers and is fairly confident as far as weight and stability is concerned. I believe the original boat weight was 5-6 tons. From the tractor, Theon is only planning on using the wheels and drive-train. The wheels will be attached via a custom frame. We believe the tires will provide some level of buoyancy, but how much is debatable.

There are still a ton of questions that we don't even have the answers to, but I guess not knowing for certain the outcome is what keeps it interesting to watch. Not trying to do anything ground breaking or even empress anyone, just trying to be creative and have some fun. However, rest assured that safety, legal, and environmental concerns will be a major focus, especially as it gets closer to completion.

Hopefully in the next week or two, I'll have another video answering some more questions. The interest is extremely motivating, thank you guys!

jbcurt00

Staff member
I doubt those tires will offer any buoyancy. I'd bet they weight significantly more then the water they displace, as a rimmed tire only. Add the hub and etc and the weight goes up significantly.

Foam filled? If so, its even worse. Adds weight w no gain. Air alone is lighter then any foam, esp a foam used for foam filling a heavy equipment tire.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Is that a fiberglass hull? If it is check stringers carefully. How will you seal up the holes? What brand of boat was that?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not sure how this will turn out but gunna have to tag along !
Good luck and stay safe !

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Super Cool! I have used the tricycle machine that your wheels and tires are from to spread fertilizer. They are called "FLOATERS". If you get her sealed up properly and more importantly if you get her balanced correctly bow to stern, I predict she will float just fine. Did I forget any if's??:attention:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Super Cool! I have used the tricycle machine that your wheels and tires are from to spread fertilizer. They are called "FLOATERS". If you get her sealed up properly and more importantly if you get her balanced correctly bow to stern, I predict she will float just fine. Did I forget any if's??:attention:

Is this a ringing endorsement? LOL

I think weight is going to be a problem, but I will withhold judgement.

gordo9742000

Cadet
This is going to be interesting. The tires have quite a bit of buoyancy. They are not foam filled. You can see in the pictures of the machine that they are flat which to me means no foam. Just going on my gut instinct i say the whole unit will float level. Just real low. Not a scientist or anything. Just a guess.