1959 Luger Fleetwood Restoration: Getting my feet wet.

Roadside Design

Seaman Apprentice
Happy timing! I search on ebay for Luger often with the usual result of a small ads showing up for sale, nothing else. Then last week a repoped a Luger nameplate! Never seen one so bought it, sent a message and he had a second one too. I was almost done with the art for side decals so the timing couldn't have been better! Package arrived last night and already polished and painted, very happy. IMG_8586.jpg IMG_8598.jpg

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Just found your post. What an awesome job you have done!!!!. I envy your creativity with combining the old with just the right portion of new. Awesome Spartan Manor, by the way. My next project is a 1964 Shasta saved from the scrapper.
​Seriously, head East about 3 hours to Hermann, Mo. (wine capitol of Missouri) for our September car show. I am trying to get more car/boat guys to show up. Better yet, just put her into the Missouri River and come on down! We are right on the river. I'll bring a trailer and parade her behind our t-bird. Check out rivercitycruisers.com and video and you'll see this ain't no rinky dink car show.

​Glad to see your family is up for your projects-really makes it worth it.!
Dale

Roadside Design

Seaman Apprentice
Very nice boat!
I love to make it out as were always up for a car show and a fun drive, if I was better coordinated we'd bring the Spartan to stay in and pulll the boat with the old wagon. I feel it will take at least till Sept for all the MO paperwork and inspections will be approved so might be my first show! Get that Shasta done so you can make the big vintage show in Branson in August.

Roadside Design

Seaman Apprentice
Wow! Both seat bases arrived from Nauti-Upholstery in Florida! So glad I went with the seat pads instead of doing a full traditional seat, this is closer to what this kind of boat should have had and dig the look. The quality fit and finish of these exceeds my expectations, perfect fit IMG_8784.jpg . Hope box 2 arrives tonight!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So what did you use to make the white strips? and did you poly over them to keep them on? Just wondering.

Roadside Design

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the complements. Still a lot of small things to finish and engine repair.

Stripes are a thin auto pinstripe tape, and layers of Envy Total Boat Varnish (Poly) I did carefully scuff the tape for better adhesion and let set for some time before applying

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Seats turned out awesome !!! You have some seriously cool stuff !! :cool:

Roadside Design

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys, So next week will be the small stuff, fuel tank mounting, light wiring and seat installation.

Then to the engine. Unfortunately previous owner did a number on the lower unit housing, he wanted to replace a leaky seal and broke off the lower casting. JB Weld can do a lot of things but not here, he also placed it on the housing above the impeller. I'm not sure what he did. the prop is straight and clean and no big scuffs, maybe it hit the ground towing? Sad when you think this boat sat stored for decades and a low hour engine with perfect paint had this damage. But I called laingsoutboards and he has a nice lower case coming. IMG_8828.jpg

Roadside Design

Seaman Apprentice
It was a crazy week with work, kids and the swapping of lower unit internals. In the end...
We made it!

The old Starflight coughed and choked at first, but roared to life, after the first 5 mins that thing accelerated hard and left me with a huge smile! By the end of the weekend I made 3 short trips out and experienced the world of 6 gal per hour fuel consumption, but what a sweet sound and performance!

More to come... 18698435_10212737469782341_7105791788932045026_n.jpg 18739968_10212761532583896_4469559517660129493_n.jpg 18767685_10212737470342355_7575796857669891706_n.jpg

Tnstratofam

Commander
Awesome! Looks like you all had fun, and were probably on the water in the most stylish craft around.:thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congratulations on the splash !!! Job well done and something to be very proud of !!
What was your top speed ? Your restoration has really got me wanting to get going on mine .... My Wolverine is not the cool speedster that your Luger is but hopefully it turns out as nice !
Now we need a video of her cutting through the water !! :joyous:

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Congrats on getting her out on the water!! Awesome looking setup! I have some serious Starflight envy!