1977 Invader Aquarius Restoration - Mechanical Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_allen_morris

Recruit
I have a 1977 Invader Aquarius that I'm thinking of restoring. Still trying to decide if I should fix all the issues on it or sell it, or fix then sell.

Here is the list of things I know need to be fixed on it and I would really appreciate advice on whether it's likely worth fixing. My best friend and I would be supplying all the labor.

Shift Cable Replacement and bellows.
Generally, all the bellows at the rear need to be replaced
The steering is sloppy so I'm not 100% sure what it will take to fix, but know it's sloppy when I had it on the water last year (I've had this boat 12 months now).
Exhaust manifold leaks lake water. Bilge pump is sufficient to clear all the water, but it needs to be fixed.
There are some electrical issues and I know that's general, but I've been able to patch the electrical together to make it work. Not ideal, but I would run and allow me sufficient time later to fix all the electrical issues.
Needs a new trailer tire as well. Not difficult, but part of the expense of fixing it all to road/lake worth.

What I've already replaced so far:

New plywood under the front seat cushions.
Alternator
Gear shift handle
Adjusted the gear shift cable to make it function when at the lake

The interior is in good shape. Could use new carpet but the seats are good. It's been a good boat on the water in the last 12 months. Sure it has issues, but it's 40 years old.

I don't have a ton of time, but I don't like the idea of selling the boat for way cheap considering the list of things it needs. Last year it seemed like every time I took it to the lake, something else on it broke. not uncommon for a 40 year old boat, but frustrating.

Thoughts? And, please don't tell me BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand. Seriously, does that joke ever get old to people who don't own a boat?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
If the floor was rotted under the seats it was rotted elsewhere. A 40 year old boat is never going to get cheaper or more reliable unless it is gutted and completely rebuilt.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Sounds to me like mostly wear or service items on your I/O. Some of those things would be needed on any other used I/O boat you would replace this one with. If the hull is solid and you like the boat I'd fix it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.