Interlux VC V.S. Pettit Ultima ECO for hull coating/ repair?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi,
My '99 Wellcraft Excalibur has numerous dings and gouges along the hull from a previous owner having it fork lift stored + a bad roller trailer and general neglect. I've repaired much of it but I also have slight blisters too so I'm at a crossroad where I want to coat the hull to prevent water absorption, protect it, and make it look new again. We boat in Fresh water and the boat is left in for 6 months of the year (although pulled and washed a few times inbetween).

I have 1/2 a gallon on Pettit Ultima Eco White from 4 years ago when I painted over the black bottom paint on a old boat. It was easy to use and although I don't need an ablative, it prevented the lake slime. Cons are I'm questioning if it will provide the gelcoat protection I'm seeking to prevent water absorption?

The other product I saw on the market that looks like the better product for the job is Interlux VC performance Epoxy. It appears this will provide more of a coating to protect the hull from absorption, more like another gelcoat layer if I have it right? Cons are the review say it's a messy job (is it any different?) Also- is this OK to leave in a Lake for 6 months a year?

Please let me know if their is another product I should be considering or if I should also be looking at a primer.
Thanks,
-Chris

alldodge

Staff member
I plan to have all bottom paint removed and going to coat with VC epoxy this spring. While VC is an epoxy, it is not a put in the water and forget. The epoxy also cannot be left in the water for long periods, and six months is pushing it over the edge. Trying to find the spec but believe the last time I read it, that there was a 4 month max time frame.

I bought a lift, hence the reason to remove the bottom paint

gtochris

I plan to have all bottom paint removed and going to coat with VC epoxy this spring. While VC is an epoxy, it is not a put in the water and forget. The epoxy also cannot be left in the water for long periods, and six months is pushing it over the edge. Trying to find the spec but believe the last time I read it, that there was a 4 month max time frame.

What would happen to the hull after a long period of time with the VC in the water? Would it flake off?
I'm tempted to use a quality primer that will protect from absorption and use the Pettit. I hated how it would rub off when loading on the trailer and such however I never needed to clean the hull which I appreciated as it always looked good.

alldodge

Staff member
What would happen to the hull after a long period of time with the VC in the water? Would it flake off?
I'm tempted to use a quality primer that will protect from absorption and use the Pettit. I hated how it would rub off when loading on the trailer and such however I never needed to clean the hull which I appreciated as it always looked good.

Same thing happens to epoxy as with gelcoat, water. It will take time but water can penetrate through but takes some time to do it. Quality paint is made by Pettit and Interlux, and they both have the same issues. If you dig further into Pettit you will find the same issues.

As to what will happen if and when water does penetrate thru, I would ask the manufacture, but believe it would do the same as gelcoat and blister. Barrier coat is an epoxy, its just epoxy which is then painted over with bottom paint. Water has penetrated barrier coat and like epoxy it takes time. I found a used boat lift

gtochris

Thanks- About 20 years ago, my father had a Regal with blisters and the dealer took it back and did some type of barrier coat (white) that appeared a bit ruff but was completely hard and durable and the VC was the closest product I've seen on the market to whatever it was that was put on my fathers boat back in the day. It lasted for the 10+ years he kept it in the water no problem.

Do you think a primer and the Pettit Ultra Eco is the way to go?

alldodge

Staff member
Do you think a primer and the Pettit Ultra Eco is the way to go?

Cannot say, as before I'm using VC. Suggest contacting both companies and ask your questions, they will be more then happy to discuss it. Could also email

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Bottom paint is going to hurt your MPH on a boat like that. Any way to get the gel fixed?

gtochris

Bottom paint is going to hurt your MPH on a boat like that. Any way to get the gel fixed?

It's on my mind- I can hit about 54/55 mph right now. Maybe I'll loose 1/2?

It's beat up, bad fork lift operator damaged the end of the chimes and crappy trailer damaged the keel. Time spent on blocks and in a rack didn't help. I've sanded and applied gel coat to the damaged small spots but I'm thinking a full paint is the best option. I also internally wonder based on one of the stress cracks if I have a loose stringer/ damaged motor mount :( I don't think it's critical and given the age but it's something I'm accepting. I'm not cut out to do this type of repair (over my head).

I really like this boat and would like to keep it another 2 years. We get compliments everywhere we go with it.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The short answer is, it's not going to make any difference in what you do if all you want is another 2 years out of it.

Blisters are not easy to permanently fix, It's a major project involving time and money, attempts at using spot repairs or short cuts tend to fail rather soon, making the effort a waste of time and money.

​Just any kind of paint won't help, what will help is an epoxy barrier coat designed for that purpose, but it also requires removing (peeling) the blistered laminate, then letting it dry completely and reapplying the same amount of glass as what was removed if needed, followed by the epoxy barrier coat, fairing the surface and final painting. This process adds up to a great deal of effort and the boat value needs to be high enough to justify it.

alldodge

Staff member
I really like this boat and would like to keep it another 2 years.

If you bottom paint is smooth, your not going to loose any speed. If the paint starts flaking off, then you will

If your only going to keep it two more years I would roll the dice and hope you don't get blisters. The resale on with out paint is normally more. If you do get some blisters, it will cost a bit more "maybe" then a good bottom paint job.

Edit: depends on how many blisters, and I yield to Ondarvr

gtochris

Edit: depends on how many blisters, and I yield to Ondarvr

Really not many or big ones compared to many other boats. I just think the irony is that it had zero when we bought it at 15yo and somehow they came out in 3 years and it's always been kept in the water..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Really not many or big ones compared to many other boats. I just think the irony is that it had zero when we bought it at 15yo and somehow they came out in 3 years and it's always been kept in the water..

​There are many things that factor into if and when a hull blisters, so the time frame can vary a great deal, from right away, to decades, to never.