Playbouy Yachtsman 24 Restoration

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I may be wrong, but it looks to me that you have the ability to sew heavier fabrics? With our Bimini up trying to shade the kids, it was really only effective at high noon, so I was constantly adjusting the position of the boat, in relation to the shadow, until I thought ahead and brought some bed sheets to clip between our canopy and playpen. Still working on a more permanent solution, but I think that it will involves heavier screen, so that a breeze can still come through, but will provide a bit of shade, as well as not impair vision so I can be underway with them up. As I don't have that sweet hardtop, but mealrely a flimsy soft top, my side panels will likely wait until I get a less flimsy soft top. I'm thinking about a vinyl bordered setup, with zippers to connect the top and snaps at the bottom for me, but I imagine you could use snaps for the top and bottom.

Older 2 strokes are loud, even my mid-nineties model. A "Sun deck" of sorts going from port to starboard rail behind the back bench gives a nice finished look, a place for momma to lay out and will stiffle much of the engine noise, allowing you to have conversations at a normal level.

I'm not sure what kind of transom pod you have, but I will be searching for a fuel tank that fits inside of that pod. Trackers came with these from what I've read. Just a thought to clear up some deck space. My tank is over the aft most log, forcing my batteries to be underneath the rear bench. I plan to put a tank in the transom pod and batteries where the current tank resides, then cover with a sun deck.

Hope this made sense. I can poorly sketch some ideas if you want (I'm just being honest with myself, I'm no artist lol)

We do have the ability to do some pretty heavy stuff. The Admiral has a vintage "industrial grade" sewing machine, and it has been able to handle anything we can throw at it. For this season, we were planning on going cheap, and rigging some shower curtains along the hard top to add extra shade. Next winters project will probably be our most ambitious yet. We plan on making a full camper enclosure, than can be rigged off the hard top, with support poles running to the bow fence rail. Something like this.

100_1511.jpg

I don't have too many good pictures of the stern of the boat, and the transom pod, but there's really not enough room to make some kind of sun deck. The back of the fence ends at the edge of the deck, then there are 2 sides of deck that extend 1.5' feet beyond the center deck, over the toons. These had boxes built on it that were designed to hide your standard 6 gallon metal gas tanks. I was planning on at some point getting a 12 gallon to go on one side, than perhaps a generator on the other, but that will be a while down the road.

Here's my transom pod.

j7Lsqix.jpg

And here you can kinda see the 2 pieces of deck that extend beyond the rest. Those are were the fuel tanks sat. Fence ran even with that inner most piece of aluminum trim.

3K6thDB.jpg

'

Last edited:

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Awesome on the "industrial grade" machine and her ability to use it, I need to aquire, then learn! Those camper type setups are awesome! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

That is the same design as mine, and what the tracker tanks were installed in. It will likely take some searching and measuring if you decide to go that route. I also liked that it takes 70+ pounds (depending upon the size of your tank and drops it down low and center

Regarding the Sundeck, bummer that you wouldn't be able to lay on it, but the real reason I'm doing one is for the sound dampening :)

It looks like your steering cable is bent?

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Awesome on the "industrial grade" machine and her ability to use it, I need to aquire, then learn! Those camper type setups are awesome! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

That is the same design as mine, and what the tracker tanks were installed in. It will likely take some searching and measuring if you decide to go that route. I also liked that it takes 70+ pounds (depending upon the size of your tank and drops it down low and center

Regarding the Sundeck, bummer that you wouldn't be able to lay on it, but the real reason I'm doing one is for the sound dampening :)

Yeah, switching the weight around would be nice. I will have to take some measurements and see what I can do.

It is a bummer about the sun deck, because we loved having that on our last boat, but since we're building these seats pretty big, an adult will be able to lay on all of them, and for the front, the spacing between the two will be set so that you can stack 2 twin size air mattresses, and basically have any oversized king using the front couches.

That steering cable is in the trash. Currently trying to figure out what I'm going to do for that. See my other thread in the sterring subforum.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, switching the weight around would be nice. I will have to take some measurements and see what I can do.

It is a bummer about the sun deck, because we loved having that on our last boat, but since we're building these seats pretty big, an adult will be able to lay on all of them, and for the front, the spacing between the two will be set so that you can stack 2 twin size air mattresses, and basically have any oversized king using the front couches.

That steering cable is in the trash. Currently trying to figure out what I'm going to do for that. See my other thread in the sterring subforum.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
They have vinyl mesh that provides some shade and will still allow airflow. That might be an option sews same as any material. I also have an industrial Singer that is old as the hills but will sew through a 4x4 if I could find the right needle. Cant wait for more updates

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Spent most of the weekend boating, since it was in the high 60s/low 70s, which is insane for February in Kansas. Went out on my 1975 Glastron, which you can see in my other thread in this section if you would like.

Did get some work done on the bench today. Got the back of the backrest cut and attached. We used 1/4" ply for this to save on weight, since it is not structural. We just needed something to hold staples for the vinyl. We also got the butt rest made. Tomorrow, we'll get the rest of it sealed, start mounting foam, and cutting vinyl!!!!!

Backrest

ND6rabR.jpg

Rear bench together.

PeV5KCg.jpg

We're building these to handle 6'3 240 lb me! My 20 hp Johnson for my aluminum semi v making a surprise cameo in the corner.

YrfWmA2.jpg

Last edited:

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Based upon background evidence in post#18 and the results of big Monday, can I say #rockchalkjayhawk?!!

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, we had a lot of fun, but also got a bunch of work done this weekend. Got all the remaining leaves out of my yard, and replaced my sump pump, but I didn't take picture of any of that boring stuff.

I did take pictures of the progress on the toon. My buddy Josh came over Sunday morning and helped me get the new vinyl flooring down, as well as rig the motor! We bought this piece of sheet vinyl at Menard's as scrap remnant, for about half the price it normally is, and about a quarter of the cost of traditional "marine" vinyl flooring. My biggest concern is UV durability, but they make coatings for that, and our boats are always covered when they are not in use, so exposure will be limited. We shall see how it holds up. The piece we bought was 12'x17'. The deck of our pontoon is 8'x21.5', or 8x20 if you don't count the two pieces that stick out at the stern where the fuel tanks go.

We had planned on running it from the front, going 17', then using the 4' leftover scrap and a transition piece under the rear bench to cover the rest. Saturday evening, we rolled the vinyl out on the deck to allow it to "relax" and lay flat. When we rolled it out.........it was 12'x22'. Fit perfectly with no need for a transition piece. We were beyond ecstatic. Sunday morning, we secured a few loose spots on the deck with self tapping screws, got it rolled out, and secured with the edge trim.

Yy4LlUR.jpg

Can see the excess hanging over on both the boat and my gut in this one.

3l44EQw.jpg

Qig276k.jpg

fgTfKkm.jpg

And motor is on! Need to order a fuel pump for it, but hopefully I can get it bolted and running this coming weekend. Then it's time to figure out the steering situation.

lqLFupB.jpg

pm481hZ.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That sheet vinyl certainly looks awesome. Like you, my concern is UV damage but if you keep it covered it should be fine.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
That sheet vinyl certainly looks awesome. Like you, my concern is UV damage but if you keep it covered it should be fine.

Yup, we're good about keeping the tarp on it when it's not in use. I'm also exploring some options like 303 spray that could help too.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry I've been bad about posting pictures. It's just been too damn nice, so I spend all my time boating instead of working! We took our Glastron out Saturday. We did manage to get the fence all powerwashed and bolted back down though. She's starting to look like a boat again! Next weekend, I will have the admiral sand the remaining decals, and start painting the fence, and I will start rigging the controls.

7ylzesW.jpg

ulDZcqV.jpg

sEkTLkV.jpg

Last edited:

sprintst

Commander
That will be a slick ride. Your little guy is going to catch a ton of fish off that rig.

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That looks really good, how are you going to do the fence?

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
That looks really good, how are you going to do the fence?

I haven't totally decided on that yet. I'm not even sure if it's going to be a priority for right now. Biggest thing for me is to get everything mechanically functioning, then focus on cosmetics. That said, Lady is good at the cosmetic stuff, so she can work on it while I'm rigging. Plan for right now is sand the decals, prime (not sure if we'll need etching since there is paint on there already and it's in good shape), then paint with something that can hopefully be rolled on.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, I've been stupid busy at work, and haven't had much time to put in the work I want to do, but we took the pontoon out this weekend! It was my son's 2nd birthday, and since I had family in town, we decided to test how she floats and goes. Hooked up my 5.5 hp tiller steer johnson, set up the camp chairs, and went to the lake.

She did great! No leaks that I can tell, super stable, and hit 6 mph with 7 adults!!

The more and more I dig into the 65 HP Johnson I had bought for it, I'm finding more and more issues. Right now, I'll need a prop, fuel line, fuel pump, and starter, and that's without tearing in any farther.

Talking with the admiral, we're thinking about seeing if we can trade our Glastron for a newer outboard, the necessary steering parts, and hopefully someone to rig it all. We will see! We've decided already this boat is our favorite, so we want it to be as nice and reliable as possible.

Last edited:

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tough loss for our Jayhawks... But now more time to focus on boats. Looking forward to your progress. #rcjh