Playbouy Yachtsman 24 Restoration

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, after having a season of being a boat owner under my belt, the admiral and I decided that the ski boat project we had undertaken was a bit more than we wanted to deal with, and really too small of a boat for us to be comfortable. We decided it was time for the toon life. So, we put an ad on craigslist, hoping to trade our project (but pretty solid) ski boat for a toon. We found one right before the end of the year.

I'm excited to not mess with stern drives and fiberglass!

So here we go.

RIP Manta Ray aka "The Natui Pickle" (our last name is pickle)

nt06Vzr.jpg

And here's "The Nauti Pickle II"!! My father and son make excellent models. She's a 24' Playbuoy Yachtsman.

fZbeF41.jpg

We knew going in we would need a motor, and brand new interior. As long as the deck was solid (it is), we can work with the rest.

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So I cannot have a bigger boat at my house unless we cut down a tree in the side yard! Tight squeeze!

ZUwrO5I.jpg

27RZCvk.jpg

We started the tear down Friday morning. Here she is with the hard top up. Having a hard top was a major plus for us. No canvas to rip or tear, and you can mount speakers and lights from it. Plus, having a toddler, it gives him a solid place to get out of the sun.

lSmzN8w.jpg

And on Friday, Kasey gave me my final Christmas present. A vinyl decal of the very nauti pickle, to go on the back, along with letters for the name!!

VT7Ua4E.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Little man and mommy tearing her up.

oJTsVaG.jpg

xL7mzEn.jpg

On Friday night, I picked up a great running 1972 65 horsepower Johnson 2 stroke. Here it is next to my 20 HP 1967 tiller steer Johnson I use on my fishing boat. I'm hoping for 20 mph with this set up and a light load.

P0TNG3j.jpg

aRK8RuW.jpg

Prop has seen better days, but it was geared for the PO's bass boat, so I would need something better suited for the toon anyway.

Maitlin having fun in the junk original seats.

2LDy2qo.jpg

rrcE4Jp.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Deck mostly cleared. The console and captain's seat are salvagable, and will be recovered to match our new color scheme. All other seats will be brand new.

zlPL2qy.jpg

GpiLkMw.jpg

gOjHxgh.jpg

Our plan is to install new vinyl flooring rather than carpet. I think carpet is gross on boats, and I love the look of the faux wood decks. We will build 3 new bench seats, as well as a live well/center cushion. Then we will paint the fence, and polish all aluminum trim and the pontoon logs themselves.

Picked up the vinyl Saturday evening.

MuSIa58.jpg

AObxAPB.jpg

Started staining the tables in the new accent color.
g3CHRBp.jpg

And how she sits right now. It's hidden in this picture, but there is actually a boat sitting there. And a Kasey.

2qDx1RS.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Did a mockup to show kind how it's going to look, and where everything is going to be. Back bench is 84", front two are 70". All are 30" deep. In front of the fence will be fishing seats, than can be swapped for tables and a grill. Bench port side will not have a back on it, so it can be used either way.

6z5HTPT.png

So there hasn't been too much exciting work, but we've been amassing materials. Our color scheme for the seats is going to be white and gray, with different shades of gray for accent. Perhaps as many as 50? HA. Dad jokes. I'll show myself out.

We will be building the seats out of ply, 5/8" and 15/32" thickness, depending on where it is on the seats. The bases and buttrests will all be 5/8, the backrest assembly will be 15/32" , cause it will not see the stress of the buttrest and bases.

For the bases, we will be staining them with sherwin williams exterior deck stain and sealant. It should protect the wood, (which will never get that wet, because any time the boat is not being used, it will be covered), but still allow you to see the grain, and give it more of a vintage nautical feel. The buttrest will be white vinyl, and the backrest will be white, with regular gray and metallic gray accent stripes. Should look rad af, kinda flashy, but not over the top.

Since foam is expensive as hell, and we're trying to come up with the most baller boat possible on a budget, we've been pilfering foam from free furniture we find. The backrest of our benches will be 3" thick foam, and the bases will be 6". Stock foam was 2", and 3" respectively. This will make them similar to what you find on brand new pontoons, with masasive, cushy, overstuffed seats. We will also be making them 10" wider then they were stock, and a little longer, so there will be plenty of room to lay out, lounge, or sit.

Here's the garage pile.
GfG0ZjO.jpg

These bases are going to look amazing with the stain on them. The grain pattern is similar to that on the vinyl flooring.

lcPKv2r.jpg

Started work on the back bench rest last night! Kasey also made a mock up of how the completed seats will look.

UQCFHjF.jpg

ClBNSoS.jpg

twidjPu.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So all day Saturday, I did some re-organizing on the garage and basement. Here is our pile of foam for the pontoon seats. My amp is off at the tech's for a retube and some mods, so my 1960 can be a table for a minute.

f7VMXvs.jpg

My first mate inspecting the seat base. Also picked up what will be new Captain's chair for the toon. It's there on the left. The one we had is the exact same, but burgundy and cream. This new one matches our new colors, and for $25, a lot less of a headache than reupholstering the one we have. Also, our new vinyl made it in! The turquoise is left over from last year. It's all behind Maitlin's head.

rPHopNz.jpg

W53vOGl.jpg

So, my family and I went to the Overland Park Boat show this weekend. It's put on by the Lake of the Ozarks dealers association, so all the big badass boats come out. We mostly went to drool over things we can never have, and check out the styling cues on higher end pontoons.

My son and I on a toon that cost more than our house lol.

KQTnVHP.jpg

My two favorites at the boat show. The first is a 2017 Cigarette 41 GTR with Quad Verado 400s. It was listed at 699k if I remember right. The cat on the trailer is a 2015 Skarter 426, with Merc 1350s. It was listed at $799k. Come on Powerball!!

IkGS9nh.jpg

Maitlin was as excited about the Cigarette as I was.

rndDNdq.jpg

My son, father in law, and I in front of that BAD.***. Skater

5TwDcbl.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Now back to our regurarly scheduled programming. Had some nice weather so we used it to work on the toon. Got the hard top pulled off. That thing is a chunk! Bet one could pick up a couple MPH without it on there, but I love having the fixed shade.

GdkTYLh.jpg

Ready to be powerwashed. Gross.

7rC2BVn.jpg

Powerwashed and magic erasered.

CO3RtqP.jpg

Still going to need a bit of sanding to get the old decals off, but it looks 10000x better.

B6ua8JV.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Took the monday following the boat show off to take full advantage of the 60 degree weather. Started getting the deck torn down. Fencing was the first to go.

Ya2dx65.jpg

Bow fencing is off.

GCYChYe.jpg

And the rest of it.

UvzJGlh.jpg

Pile of pontoon parts by my shed, and on the trailer for my fishing boat.

aZqWnKr.jpg

Getting closer. Ready to start pulling trim.

3K6thDB.jpg

Trim all removed.

AKEXRZT.jpg

Bare deck! The wood is solid all the way through. No soft spots. The dark areas are where I got some water yesterday while cleaning.

SvUq4mo.jpg

She's going to be ready for her new vinyl floor! Hopefully we can have that done this coming weekend. Then it will be time to mount the motor, and start rigging/rewiring.

TEjPxop.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Kept the train rolling last night. Got the backrest made for our back bench.

bC76bBb.jpg

CbGnDdJ.jpg

X79qYv8.jpg

Got the rest of the crap off the deck, and the deck sealed with mold and mildew preventative. It's now ready for the new vinyl flooring to go down, hopefully next weekend, weather permitting.

mNajHR1.jpg

u4Ls3Hu.jpg

That takes us up to this last weekend! I'll keep posting as I have updates. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Nice work so far. I'll be following along. That's great that the original deck is still that solid.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Nice work so far. I'll be following along. That's great that the original deck is still that solid.

I suspect it might have been replaced at some point by some owner. I haven't checked the hull ID yet, but from my best guess, the boat is mid to late 80s. Based on the condition the factory seats were in (mostly worm food), I imagine if the deck had been original, it would be in the same shape. Since the boat was last registered in 2014, and had Johnson controls but no motor, this is my guess as what happened.

2nd owner buys boat. Puts some screws and braces in factory seats to help prolong their pending demise. At the same time, I think they put down a new deck and carpet. I think they ran it that way til the motor shot craps, then decided it wasn't worth it to them anymore, and sold it to the guy I got it from. Just a guess, because I would be SHOCKED if that was the original 30 year old plywood floor.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I'm not a toon guy but love the pics you've posted so far. Looks like you and your family having are having fun and that's what boating to me is all about. Good luck with your build, and I'll be following along because your managed to peak my interest with this great thread. ROCK ON!!:rockon:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not a toon guy but love the pics you've posted so far. Looks like you and your family having are having fun and that's what boating to me is all about. Good luck with your build, and I'll be following along because your managed to peak my interest with this great thread. ROCK ON!!:rockon:

Thank you sir! I never thought I would own a "minivan of the water", but here we are! I also picked up a Glastron V162 recently, so that will scratch my "sporty" boat itch until it sells. And we've really made this a family thing. Coming home from work to work on the boat together is my favorite part of the day. Someday, when I'm gone, I really hope my son can look back on these pictures and cherish these memories as much as I do.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
From one young (I like to think I am) dad to the next, this is AWESOME! Went in a a 'toon with a close friend last year following 1 afternoon cruise with him, my wife and 1 and half year old on my little 16' runabout. I never thought I'd own a 'toon unless I had a place on the water, but it is a great family vessel... also a great party vessel for those times you get a 'sitter for the littles.

If you'd like, I have a couple suggestions to share for consideration with your rebuild.

Most important though, is how cool it is that the whole family is involved! Keep having fun!

Jimmy

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Cool it is a family project. I just inherited a toon from my son. He replaced the floor and lost intrest. I also have no seats so going to tag along to see where this goes.

tpenfield

Staff member
Tagging along and am enjoying your pictures. Looks like some nice work. :thumb:

Would something like Thompson's Water Seal be useful to add longevity to the deck and other wood components?

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
From one young (I like to think I am) dad to the next, this is AWESOME! Went in a a 'toon with a close friend last year following 1 afternoon cruise with him, my wife and 1 and half year old on my little 16' runabout. I never thought I'd own a 'toon unless I had a place on the water, but it is a great family vessel... also a great party vessel for those times you get a 'sitter for the littles.

If you'd like, I have a couple suggestions to share for consideration with your rebuild.

Most important though, is how cool it is that the whole family is involved! Keep having fun!

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy! Projects are fun, and even more fun when it's a family affair. I would appreciate all the feedback I can get on this! I'm still a noob when it comes to all things marine.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Cool it is a family project. I just inherited a toon from my son. He replaced the floor and lost intrest. I also have no seats so going to tag along to see where this goes.

We would have liked to buy some of the super nice Wise premium ones, but that's not going to be in the budget for a long time. We did an interior overhaul on our last boat, so we figured we would try it again. Here are some pics of what we did on it.

12743937_10103413225161379_1934976038446526737_n_zpsohdidefl.jpg

12987202_10103546112479129_7169050283251128247_n_zpsleocyssq.jpg
13007105_10103546112603879_3950563747914043213_n_zpslbywifvj.jpg
13012639_10103546112469149_1606281107549325887_n_zpsi7o5ksjt.jpg

We had to build all of it in the basement of our condo, as we were still saving to buy our house at this point. Having an extra 1k sq ft and a garage makes projects so much easier!

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Tagging along and am enjoying your pictures. Looks like some nice work. :thumb:

Would something like Thompson's Water Seal be useful to add longevity to the deck and other wood components?

That's a great question. All the wood pieces above the deck, like the seats, tables, etc will have tons of coating on them. I spilled my drink on the seat base we had build last night cleaning seats for the glastron, and the water instantly beaded and ran straight off. Was super pleased to see that. On the deck, I get differing opinions. Some people say yeah, seal the deck, keep the water out. Other people say sealing it will just hold moisture in, and cause it to rot faster. So I'm not really sure what direction we're going to take with that.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I may be wrong, but it looks to me that you have the ability to sew heavier fabrics? With our Bimini up trying to shade the kids, it was really only effective at high noon, so I was constantly adjusting the position of the boat, in relation to the shadow, until I thought ahead and brought some bed sheets to clip between our canopy and playpen. Still working on a more permanent solution, but I think that it will involves heavier screen, so that a breeze can still come through, but will provide a bit of shade, as well as not impair vision so I can be underway with them up. As I don't have that sweet hardtop, but mealrely a flimsy soft top, my side panels will likely wait until I get a less flimsy soft top. I'm thinking about a vinyl bordered setup, with zippers to connect the top and snaps at the bottom for me, but I imagine you could use snaps for the top and bottom.

Older 2 strokes are loud, even my mid-nineties model. A "Sun deck" of sorts going from port to starboard rail behind the back bench gives a nice finished look, a place for momma to lay out and will stiffle much of the engine noise, allowing you to have conversations at a normal level.

I'm not sure what kind of transom pod you have, but I will be searching for a fuel tank that fits inside of that pod. Trackers came with these from what I've read. Just a thought to clear up some deck space. My tank is over the aft most log, forcing my batteries to be underneath the rear bench. I plan to put a tank in the transom pod and batteries where the current tank resides, then cover with a sun deck.

Hope this made sense. I can poorly sketch some ideas if you want (I'm just being honest with myself, I'm no artist lol)