Help with gel coat color

Jameswnash

Cadet
I guess this is how you get customer support on this site? I have a 1996 savage 896 with the red glitter over plain white over black color scheme. I bought it a few months ago and have spent a ridiculous amount of time and money in it mainly because I like binging old things back to life. I've learned with boats it's finding the things you need that's a real challenge. The boat has a few small gouges in the white and the black and I would like to match it as close she as possible. I really don't think I need a gallon of each color. Can someone tell me which products will be bes suited for me?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had some good luck with the kits. Abit pricey, but worked pretty good

Mod EDIT. Competitor removed, please remember Iboats is an online retailer

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I guess this is how you get customer support on this site?

Ondrvr has you covered, but this is an active online forum, for help DOING the repair, not really customer service for the Iboats retail store.

If you need help w an order, customer service for the online store can be reached at the Contact page:

http://www.iboats.com/Contact/dm/func.contact

If you want help doing the repair, ask those questions here in the forum, including product suggestions.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Matching 20 year old GelCoat is nearly impossible. The Sun has done it's work!!! Even if you do manage to Mix and Match it today...Next season it won't look like it. The New and Old gelcoat will fade and discolor at different rates and different shades. Thats' whymost Paint their restored boats. Just an Old Dumb Okie giving his opinion.;)

Jameswnash

Cadet
Thanks for the direction, idk why, iguess maybe because i was mobile but i could not get to the customer service page you linked me to. thats why i said i guess this is how you get help on this site. yes sir i agree that you cant match 20 year old gel coat and have good long term results, thats why I was hoping to get factory color and even if it didnt look right going on maybe it would wear into the right color. I think before I try do do a total paint job I will live with the dings. mainly i just want to patch them to protect hull because a couple are to the fiber. I guess at worse you will maybe sorta notice the patch...lol

jbcurt00

Staff member
I surf almosr exclusively from my Android, and it was easily found on mine. Iphone or other cell?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There's nothing there that needs protecting, so that's not needed, you can make it look better though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah like ondarvr says nothing that NEEDS repair purely cosmetic. As I stated even if you get factory coded gel it won't match and won't fade at the same rate. But. you can try and as stated it will look better