Transom repair and strengthening on 19' aluminum for 150hp Black Max

NatureBoy555

Recruit
Hello Everyone. I have a 19' 1987 Mirrocraft Northport centre console with a spongy transom. The transom currently has an aluminum reinforcement installed on the outside of the boat by the previous owner because he figured it would be cheaper then repairing back to original condition or better then original, I don't know. I ran a '79 40hp Merc on there for three seasons now with no apparent damage or stress cracks, etc. (Top speed was 21.4mph @ 5700 RPM)

I've acquired a '79 150hp Black Max and would like to build up the transom so it can handle the extra power and weight. My plan is to rebuild the transom to original and leave the aluminum reinforcement but I've also considered doubling the size of the wood transom so instead of covering half of the stern it will cover the entire stern. On top of that I double the current brackets in size and number.

I'm sure as it stands the 150 will twist the boat apart like a tin can. Penny for your thoughts...

pictures will be uploaded later.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
What's the boat rated for? 150 doesn't sound excessive to me for a 19', My 18' Starcraft is rated for 150. Assuming you're rated for it, replacing the wood in the transom with the factory thickness should be sufficient.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats!!!

I agree, a 1 1/2 - 2" thick plywood transom with the appropriate sealant and internal bracing should be fine. Post some pics of how the interior of the transom is configured and we'll be able to tell for sure!!!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard NatureBoy,

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your boat and following along with your project.