Avenger Bass Boat Restoration

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Started some layout design. Im going to build a center rod box, used a 7'2" rod i built for measuring and if I bring the deck back to even with the back of the console it will prob hold an 8' rod. Will be glassing it all in to the gunnels and Ive decided since im going this far to definately repaint the boat when im done. Im real pleased at how everything is fitting so far. The recessed trolling motor pedal will start about where those 2 different plywoods meet, and the seat pedestal will be 12" behind that so its all going to be moved up closer to the bow than it was before which is what I wanted. I leveled the boat where it is right now using the original deck and using that to guide me the current picture those pieces of ply are level with the old original deck. And the gunnel height is exactly what I wanted. Almost non existant at the bow and around 1-2 inches at the seat towards to stern. Going to be tons of storage in here!

Super excited, I know this boat is going to look great and fish even better when i get it done !

20170321_182119_resized.jpg

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh, if your a bass fisherman you already know this, but, if not one of the main reasons for me wanting a short gunnel height is pitchin jigs etc which is my main technique. Once you pitch from a high deck it just fishes better and feels better. You dont hit your bait nearly as much on the boat and scaRE off the fish =)

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes it will fit, i already placed the actual trolling motor pedal behind that first piece of pine ply to check the depth of the boat to see if it was deep enough and it works fine. There is enough depth for the top of the pedal to be almost flush with the deck I will be glassing in a custom trolling motor tray for it. A typical store bought one is 4" deep i have 5".

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Interesting setup. I have to continue watching to see this to the finish. Seem there is reasons for different boat setups. I love fishing for Crappie. At least I used to, haven't been in years because of my boat project not being completed yet :facepalm: , and Crappie love to lay under docks and such. So A high platform makes that type fishing harder to do because of the downward angle. So different boat setups for different type fishing. I also like Bass Fishing as well. But I can make that work equally well with the lower approach I'll have in my boat.

Have you decided to go back with metal flake? It can be done, but takes a lot more work. Just wondering. :thumb:

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No decision on paint yet. I did look quite a bit at roll and tip with careful sanding, some claim it can result in great results if care is taken. That is prob the technique I will use on the top. Will just patch and touch up the bottom. Got a few deep gouges to fix. I may even just prime the top for now, I am hoping to get some fishing in this season so i may end up fishing it with as-is paint / primer and then go back and finish the paint when the cold fronts start later this year. Time will tell. Depends on how much trouble im going to get out of the deck I have in mind too =)

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im thinking of making my center rod locker lid kind of like this so when its raised its easier to get the rods out.... comments?
images.jpg

Like this one too...

hhhh.jpg

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice rod locker. The rod tubes makes it near impossible to get the rods hooked up to each other. :facepalm:

If you own a router, you could round over the lip between the cap and the new floor to give you a nice transition from the deck to the lip. Could make it easier to glass and filllet. :noidea:

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Some work done today. Just some mock ups getting all the pieces cut and figured out before any glassing.

20170326_175808_resized.jpg

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also, the center rod locker made me evaluate the factory seating. Originally there was a bench seat offset towards the console with a funky storage box on the end adjacent to the port side.I am going to cut that storage box out and rebuild the seat bench so that there will be a bucket seat aligned behind the console and a bucket seat in the same opposite orientation on the port side. This will leave a good sized space in between the 2 bucket seats and I will build a small flat maybe carpeted seat. This will allow more clearance when removing rods out of the center rod locker which will slightly "jut" into the seating area down the middle.

Also left same amount of room on port as sb side in case i wanna get fancy later on and add another passenger / rebuild the cockpits.

Heh..i was thinking... the title def needs to be changed to something else huh. Its not a restoration but a what? Remodel? Rebuild? I used the shell and made my own? Renovate? LoL

seats.jpg

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
SPHelps this ones for you :

Roughed in. Like everything else lol. Will get sanded n glassed. PB'd atm.

Anyone point me to an easy way to install a hose connection in a box like this so i can attach a drain hose ? Im sure there is a bulkhead type connector i can just glass in to the bottom?

O, seats are on order.

20170401_140956_resized.jpg

20170401_135045_resized_1.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If the underside is open, then just a simple hole would do. IDK.

When I was designing my changed hull setup, I tried to get all those type issues planned in the design so I didn't have to rip anything back up. And for the most part, it worked very well doing that. However that also slows down the process too. JMHO

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I am designing the boat where when its finished, all water that is incoming will hit closed storage lids and be diverted to the drain channels / system i have created (will post that soon, working on now) which is why i want a hose bringing the water as far as possible to at least the mouth of the main drain pipe, i want it all running to the bilge from the top when all hatches are closed. This will help to reduce moisture in the bottom of the boat. In a perfect world, where Murphy doesnt live. For example, directly under that recessed pedal are fishing rods. If it was a hole that water would hit the rods and the area the rods are in. With the drain hose, it makes its way to the drain pipe therefore reducing moisture where i dont want it.

If I dont go mad and set fire to the boat before its done. That is.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I am designing the boat where when its finished, all water that is incoming will hit closed storage lids and be diverted to the drain channels / system i have created (will post that soon, working on now) which is why i want a hose bringing the water as far as possible to at least the mouth of the main drain pipe, i want it all running to the bilge from the top when all hatches are closed. This will help to reduce moisture in the bottom of the boat. In a perfect world, where Murphy doesnt live. For example, directly under that recessed pedal are fishing rods. If it was a hole that water would hit the rods and the area the rods are in. With the drain hose, it makes its way to the drain pipe therefore reducing moisture where i dont want it.

If I dont go mad and set fire to the boat before its done. That is.

If you do get mad and set fire, take a video. Because we like pictures, but love videos.

Just kidding, don't set fire to your boat project! I want to see it finished. I like bass boat projects. :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
We did have a member almost set his boat on fire ... Trooper had a slight mishap with a pail of acetone and a hand held blender that he snuck from the Admirals kitchen ... :eek:
I may have to steal the recessed foot petal idea for the Manatee if I can ever get back on it ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
SICK OF THE RAIN DAMNIT

We are supposed to get the rain starting tomorrow. So we rushed out to Lowe's and bought some Scott's Bonus S fertilizer and put it out. So that means it probably won't rain now.

guess to get rain I should have washed the car and waxed it. :facepalm:

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think i am ditching the bench seat and going with seat pedestals to kind of open up the floor around the end of the rod box.

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One day. Opened up around the rod box access when i cut the bench out, looks like gonna work good.

20170407_134721_resized.jpg

20170407_134747_resized.jpg

20170407_184222_resized.jpg