Avenger Bass Boat Restoration

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Can anyone point me to a link for these? They are so bad gone that i cant tell how they are suppose to be originally...

Search iboats for "bunk brackets" and you should find what you're looking for. You'll probably end up U-bolting new brackets on as your original ones are welded unless you can weld.

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Transom glued in, PB'd, tabbed, and overlayed with 1708. Opened up the second 5 gallon bucket of resin this morning. Will clean / grind up all the runoff and "skin" the entire back end over everything, need to install the kickers (transom to stringer) first. Transom already sounds like a steel plate when u rap on it. This work is SLOW. Took me 7 hours to do this! Dont think u gonna steam roll a project like this!
20170225_153650_resized.jpg

20170225_153706_resized.jpg

20170225_153722_resized.jpg

20170225_153638_resized.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm pretty sure that transom will NOT be coming loose for a while!!! Nice job!!! Just make sure IF and When you drill any mounting holes in the future that you either drill oversized holes and fill with PB and then redrill actual sized holes or predrill and then coat the holes and hardware with 3M 4200. This should ensure no water penetration to the plywood layers.

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Worked on kickers today. The factory ones were a joke compared to how i put them back in. I dont think i needed them but o well in they go =)

Might make my goal of having all major structure work done by end of day tomorrow, but im usually wrong. I like lying to myself, keeps me motivated. Need to wrap everything on the back with couple layers. Would be nice to stop workin on stringers for a bit, move on to the drain pipe, wiring stuff like that. 20170227_172228_resized.jpg

20170227_172736_resized.jpg

20170227_172507_resized.jpg

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say, that is a lot of stringers. The floor should be rock solid once it gets reinstalled. Remember, the stringers get a lot more support once they get tied into the floor. So everything gets even more solid when all the parts are put together. JMHO

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
​All kickers and stringers in place finally. preglassed up bulkhead and cut the drain pipe to length.

I almost left those "outside" kickers out, but its back just like the manufacture had it. I can stand on top of the transom and jump on it and there is no noticable flex. Anywhere. And im 260lbs. Call NASA in case they need a marine launch pad, for their fake rockets.

20170228_160420_resized.jpg

Last edited:

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Been raining some and I also ran out of resin, have to drive an hour to get it, picked up another 5g bucket today. Used 10 gallons so far. Chance of rain tomorrow as well, might get some work done idk yet.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I do know how fast that resin goes. I used 4 five gallons buckets on my little tri-hull project and then had to buy another gallon. So you just never know.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
How much did you pay for yours? I got mine for $110 a 5g bucket.

That sounds about right. I ordered three five gallon buckets at the same time with the other fiberglass materials, for my first order, and with the $26.00 dollar "Hazardous Fees" added on per bucket, plus the usual shipping cost. That added up the cost really quick. But I did save about $110 dollars by having it shipped to a local trucking firm rather then to the house.

After looking over you project thread, seems you are using a straight or plain woven fiberglass and not the typical biaxial 45 degree woven material. Not a problem, but was trying to figure out why it looked different then other builds. Most use the 1708 biaxial 45 degree woven materail sewed together with stranded mat. But whatever works it the correct stuff. JMHO

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Look on page 3 about half way down, theres a picture of the fiberglass in the package im using.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Look on page 3 about half way down, theres a picture of the fiberglass in the package im using.

Yea, I see it and there isn't a problem. I just was wondering. You are find. Keep up the great work and posting. We love pictures. :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The 1808 is woven square 1708 is diagonal ...That's what your using isn't it reek ? I actually like the way 1808 bends around corners better and it's a bit stronger ...

edit : Nope looks like 1708 is marked on the package ...

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My goodness your fast. I started mine in the fall of last year, and I am still in the dimolision stage. You must be a young rippersnapper in good health, I am old and falling apart. Your doing a good job on it.

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I appreciate your kind words sir! Im in my 40s, which is young for some old for others I guess. Looks like a ham call sign KB5FJX, I was a general class operator back in the 90s, I let it go when the internet came around.

Rained all day Sunday and today much to my dismay. Really pushing hard to get the top back on the boat.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wish I was sill in my 40's, Yeah I been a ham since the 80's, I don't get on the air as much now days but I keep the call current for emergency operation. Keep up the the good work on your boat, it's looking good.

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wish I could move forward from the foam or not to foam decision, since Im almost to that point.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Foam, if it was me. it's more then just the flotation issue, it also ads structure for strength, insulates noise and helps dampen vibration.