1984 SEA RAY MONACO 187 I/O Center Console Conversion

Pingpong

Seaman
I just starting glassing the Center Console. I got a ways to go yet and I'm not as young as I use to be. So for me slow and steady wins the race. I will post more when I have more progress.

Thanks for looking.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Work looks pretty darn good. Still using EEEEEEpoxy for everything I hope?

Pingpong

Seaman
Thank you. I was just sitting here thinking about that. I did use ploy to put the first coat if glass on the center console but I was debating if I should just finish it all with Epoxy. I was a little concern about Gel-coating over it. After I did a little more research it sounds like it it doable with proper prepping.

Planning on Finishing up my tabbing in the area tomorrow and maybe get the first glass on this section.

Pingpong

Seaman
Starting epoxying the front today. Got the sections all tabbed in and placed the first piece of glass on the deck. Epoxy was setting up pretty today so may have some light sanding ahead of me.

http://

Pingpong

Seaman
CHANGE OF PLANS - LOOKS LIKE THE EPOXY AND ME DON"T AGREE!

Guess it will be Poly from here on out. Eyes are almost closed, arm itchy as hell and a little swollen...Will have to put up with one more good sanding and cleaning then all poly. This is the second time for me. The first time I wasn't sure what it was but now there's no doubt for me. This time was worst and I hear it was continue to progress.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That's a bad reaction. Proper PPE would have prohibited that. It's all about the PPE. Even with poly you can still have the same mug shot reaction. Also everyhting you just did, which looks great will have to get ripped out. Poly/EEEEEEpoxy don't like each utter.
Hope you feel better soon!!! OOfa!

Pingpong

Seaman
I"ll be all good in a few days. As far the better, or proper PPE, I'm sure I could have done a better job. Did use a Tyvek suit, face goggles and a breathing mask. I'm open to other ideas. Also, did do quite a bit of reading on it and sounds like about 10% may have this reaction to epoxy. I'll entertain all better ways to PPE as I'm all ears, and puffy eyes right now. As a far the ripping things out, I'm good there also as my originally plan was to do the deck in Poly and below deck (Structural) with Epoxy. Having said this, I like to finish with epoxy but the worst case I'll have sand down the bow 2' section maybe a couple of other small sections. Never to old to learn a thing or two, so I'll finish it one way or the other. Also thank you for the kind words and concern.

Last edited:

Pingpong

Seaman
Commander, Going to give it a try again this weekend. Will be will be wearing full body armor this time. My cheeks cleared up too. :)

Mod EDIT

Will be much more careful now that I know what it does to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Pingpong

Seaman
Commander, Went in full armor...As one of the guys at work prefers " Like the Michelin Tire Man". Honestly, was much better and should have done it from the start. Was able to stay in and get a lot more done... Thanks

Last edited:

Pingpong

Seaman
Lastly, coated and tabbed in the plywood in prep for the gas tank. Will peanut butter it and finish it up maybe next week. Also some trimming and sanding I'm sure.

Proper PPE did make a different and I would recommend this for anyone planning this work. The Full face mask 3m 7163 (Little pricey but well worth it paid $142) was a Hugh plus for me. I did think that the mask would be fogging up all the time but I'm happy to say it did fog once and my vision remained clear.

Commander..I am also enjoying reviewing your build. Great work...Thanks again

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Great for you Ping Pong. Looks real good. What kind of wood is that and why do I see white and clear glass? Just asking.
Glad you are not getting fried by the glassing process anymore.
KC