23' 1970 Uniflite Express Hardtop Cruiser - Resto

Rustedbrit

Seaman
Thanks for the kind words !

Its crazy this thing is only a 23 but basically has an engine room below deck.

Next project will be fixing the sliding glass cabin windows. Found replacement track and i'm going to try tinting them before re-installing. I've only tried tinting windows once before on a car years ago and told myself "never again"...should be fun.

G

I wish you all the best with her Rusty,

I wished I had found a Uniflite Salty Dog or Salty Pup when I was looking for a classic, but I only saw pictures of them in Boating magazines in the 70's, never saw one up close.

There weren't any around where I grew up on the Mass. coast, at least not where I was.

Rustedbrit

Seaman
So the penta is in but not without fitment issues - its about 2-3 inches too high - i can get lower risers and relocate the alternator&overflowtank but how am i going to get the TBI to sit lower? Maybe a different intake? hood scoop?

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A step up hatch lid maybe ? I could see a good place to stub a toe doing that though ..:lol:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow, that is a bit of an issue....yeh guessing an obstruction there is probably not a great idea.

Rustedbrit

Seaman
Yeah there were some choice words, but i knew going into this the measurements were close... I'm not hopeful there will be a magic intake - been trawling the webs for intake height measurements and the only thing that might come close is a 2bbl vortec intake. I can't seem to find the height on, but it is allegedly low-pro.

As far as the doghouse goes, i might be able to make it work as a ramp, but anything stepped will murder toes.

I also need to get some trunion engine mount brackets as the angle on this is somewhat steep - too much for the normal brackets

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Would lowering the engine mounts be an option,.. or does that create an angle issue with output shaft. ?

Rustedbrit

Seaman
B/c she is so short (23') the prop shaft angle is pretty steep - i can't lower the mounts - i looked into cv joints to help level the engine out but they're prohibitively expensive and i don't think it would help enough. I'm going to try to lower the top mechanically as much as possible (new intake, risers, tbi body, then based on what's left over decide how to move forward - should have more info to go with after this wknd.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Looking good ! ,... got room for the flame arrestor ? The risers look to be touching, but I thought I remember you saying you had plans for them .

G

It looks like tou just might have enough space to fit a stock flame arrestor on top, with a common retaining nut. If that's insulation in the overhead, you might have to whittle some out to clear the forward edge of the arrestor.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
squashin it in for sure , however changing that manifold probably just tossed your torque curve out quite a bit if i recall the taller manifold put curve higher in rpm compared to a short mainfold but look it up. also where your hp and torque crossed might be lower in rpm as well