1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
used to use bleach to remove stains from wood , it worked on most occasions but might wanna test first , you are making serious progress! i will have to come by one weekend and check it out:)

Ned L

Commander
That foam sounds real good.

As mentioned, you may be able to bleach some of the rust staining out. I don?t believe you could have any luck sanding it out. (You would end up sanding all the way through.)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the tips guys .. I will get one of those little squeeze droppers to just drop some bleach just on the spots and see how that works ...
Micky your welcome any time just let me know .. My hours are kinda hectic ... Late Saturdays or Sundays have been my only free time lately .. I'm pushing 70 employee's now at the job site with no let up any time soon it looks like ....:whip:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would go with oxalic acid since it removes rust, etc.... make a paste and smear it in the holes blot with a damp towel hours later.

zool

Captain
i used OA on my teak platform, and it did wonders to uniform the color, there was some minor rust by the fasteners also. I used a scrub brush along the grains.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok this new web sight is strange ...
I'll have to locate some of the oxalic acid ..

zool

Captain
I ordered [h=1]Savogran 10501 Wood Bleach, 12 oz[/h] from amazon, it was like 9 bux +-

Not crazy about the "new look" here either :(

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lets not clutter up rebuild topics w site complaints. There are a few currently active forum problem topics, post there.....

I ordered OA on ebay several years ago, but got about a pound of powder delivered for about $6....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm ok with the new look .. Just a little gettin used to it .. Stopped at the HD to see if they carried it ... Nope ...So I guess I will order some online .. Pondering the flip in my head .. Got 4 whole days off this weekend .. Gunna try and flip Saturday hopefully ... I think I will just jack the bow up and 2 of us should be able to use the grab and growl method at the transom and flip it ... It doesn't really weigh a lot ...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm ok with the new look .. Just a little gettin used to it .. Stopped at the HD to see if they carried it ... Nope ...So I guess I will order some online .. ...

Ace hardware usually has it.....for about 5X what you can get it for on-line

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I ordered [h=1]Savogran 10501 Wood Bleach, 12 oz[/h] from amazon, it was like 9 bux :(

Picked up the same tub at our local mom and pop hardware store for 8.25 plus tax ... I called them to see if they had some and the nice lady ran to the back and found what I needed .. They were closing up for the day but she stayed open long enough for me to swing by ... About 15 mins away ... That place has been in business for probably 50 plus years ... Good folks !
Boats flipped with the help of my son and sil ...:)

zool

Captain
Picked up the same tub at our local mom and pop hardware store for 8.25 plus tax ... I called them to see if they had some and the nice lady ran to the back and found what I needed .. They were closing up for the day but she stayed open long enough for me to swing by ... About 15 mins away ... That place has been in business for probably 50 plus years ... Good folks !
Boats flipped with the help of my son and sil ...:)

Im usually ok with spending a bit more to get something locally right away, I hate waiting for shipping.....and good score on getting the SIL to help, If I asked the admiral to help me flip the boat, she would start posting it on CL :rolleyes:

zool

Captain
Nice Job!.....I realize now SIL was son in law, not sister in law...lol....the beard was a dead giveaway :D

Merry Christmas Sam

:very_drunk:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice job on the flip and the video. It's nice to have some big ole bucks on hand when ya need em.