1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sam, +1 on what Ned L said about the plug cutter, will be way better looking than just dowels.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the tips guys ! I guess a set like this would do for the plugs ?https://www.homedepot.com/s/WOOD%252...0CUTTER?NCNI-5
What about all the screw holes ? To small for plugs I am guessing so I would need to use some filler . Is there a certain type that should be used ?
I got a ton of stuff going through my head on this restoration .. Gunna try my best not to screw things up ! LOL!!!
Btw Ned should I glue in a dowel first to fill the void then drill for the plugs ? Or does it matter ?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, The Old Timer I worked for as a teen used ToothPics and Resorcinol Glue for the small holes and used Mahogany splinters he'd whittle from an old piece of mahagony and then tap them in with a bit of glue on the bottom half. After it dried he say them off and sand smooth.

That seemed to work well cuz I don't recall any "Come Backs"

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Would have never thought tooth picks .. No reason that wouldn?t work though .. Can?t wait to really get started ! These 10 hr days are the pits for doing any work in the afternoon . Gunna be in the 50?s for a few days down here .. I hate cold weather !

chevymaher

Commander
Would have never thought tooth picks .. No reason that wouldn’t work though .. Can’t wait to really get started ! These 10 hr days are the pits for doing any work in the afternoon . Gunna be in the 50’s for a few days down here .. I hate cold weather !
50's we got 20's here now. Why that is practically summer time LOL. I hate cold to tho.

oldrem

Commander
yep, 20's and low 30's daytime here now - might be 3 months before we see 50's again

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
im getting ready to start on the bayliner and she was going out of town for weekend then i saw weather report gdi cold weather lol

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Liquid sunshine the last 2 days which makes the temps seem much colder .. Come on summer time !
Yeah I know your in Florida quit complaining!
Did some more sanding this evening .. Get past all the old varnish and man there is some pretty wood under it .. So what is the difference between teak and mahogany ? I?m assuming that what I have on the topside is mahogany ? And what are the effects of humidity on unsealed wood ?
Should I worry much about how long the sanded wood sits until it get sealed ? Probably stupid questions Iknow .
I plan on closing in the garage during the restoration process so thinking It will be fine idk ...

zool

Captain
Sam, IIRC, teak and mahogany are both evergreen hardwoods, but teak is harder, because of its tighter grain. Its also oilier so i believe mahogany is better suited for coated uses, like you have. Im betting its Mahogany.

Looking forward to this project!

Ned L

Commander
95% bet what you have is mahogany. As Zool mentioned teak is an oily wood so it doesn’t hold varnish as well. Teak also is full of crystaline like deposits so it is brutal on cutting and edge tools.

A concern I have with “toothpicks” or any other softwood splints to fill small screw holes and the like is that they can tend to act as straws and draw moisture deep into the wood they are filling. What I have done is to make my splints and put them in a jar with Minwax wood hardner for a couple of days then let them dry. I think that stops them from being able to absorb water.

As for putting a piece of dowel under the plugs to fill those bolt holes. You could, but I think I would be more inclined to just put one plug on top of another and stack them until the hole is solid with plugs.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i am sure kept inside your wooden boat will be fine , mine was fine covered till i had the heart attack and the cover got lost and it was subjected to weather for a few weeks.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ned does the plug cutter cut the plugs straight or tapered ?
A little progress .. I built a cradle025 (600x800).jpg to hold it once flipped .. May have over thought it a little idk ... LOL!

026 (600x800).jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Moved it over in the center of the garage to get ready for the flip .. Prolly do that this coming weekend .. Still gunna do a few odds and end before the flip though
See it does get cold down here ! Burrr !!
011 (600x800).jpg

Attachments

• 011 (600x800).jpg
    011 (600x800).jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander
Your cradle looks great! I might suggest just a big of padding so you don?t have wood on wood -which may create rubbed areas on the decks. Even just a layer of T shirt material should do it.

plug cutters cut straight sided (untapered) plugs. They are sized to be slight interference fits so they have to be taped in.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Zool ,Ned !
I thought I would pick up a roll of that foam that you install under exterior wall plates during construction ... Just glue it to the cradle .
Notice the black stains on the top where it looks like they places finish nails in the planks to hold straight before they installed the screws ?
Any way to get rid of the stains other than sanding real deep ? I have a ton of questions coming up once I start really digging into this project .. :lol:

zool

Captain
Moved it over in the center of the garage to get ready for the flip .. Prolly do that this coming weekend .. Still gunna do a few odds and end before the flip though
See it does get cold down here ! Burrr !!

Thats celsius right?....the needle is hiding the C :D