1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
im building next one from scratch i have seen my final days of broken bolts and bad glass work :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I know I'm not quite done with the ODK but I snuck in some wagemaker related work today .. I took the 85 hp motor off the donor boat I had that I ended up not using for the MFG ..
That boat will be given away or sawzalled into little pieces .. The motor I am giving to my nephew that wanted to repower a skiff he has .. Trading some mechanical work for it ..
The trailer I plan on using for the Wagemaker .. I will need to do some modification to make it work though .. I think I may slide it on the trailer for good visual of what I need to do and while it's on there I just may haul it to the creek for a pre-splash splash .. :joyous:
I want to see if or where there are any leaks ... When I get back to boat stuff full time I plan on working on the Manatee at the same time ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No pre-splash yet but I did slide old trailer out and slide different old trailer in .. This will work much better I think with some modification .. I think the bow stop may be a tad low ...:rolleyes:
Threw together a gantry out of some stuff laying around and picked up a h/f 20 dollar come-along .. Worked just fine ...

I plan on having 4 bunks and 2 or 3 keel rollers .. I need to source some 3"x3" tube steel and a winch post ...
Prolly work on tile the rest of the week and maybe plop her in the creek this weekend ... idk I may do a week day pre-splash so the ramp won't be so busy ..
Cheers !!

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Makes you wonder why they made the old trailers the way they did? I guess they were light to pull with working man cars. Waiting for lots of pics of the pre-splash!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep not much to those old trailers but I guess they served their purpose ...
With the bow eye so far up on the bow I will prolly have to make a custom wench post .. Normally you would want the bow stop to be above the bow eye But that would put the wench really high up . At least higher than I would like it .. My thought is to make like a slanted T with some sort of pulley up even with the eye and the wench in front and below so your pulling the boat level instead of pulling it down in the front ... I will need to find a pulley and a design to make that happen ...

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am anxiously awaiting this project. It looks like we have the same trailer. I would love to do something similar. I need to put the stop above the bow ring and if I could move the boat several inches forward it will be fully on the boards. I just didn't know what I could do with those three rails right there. Was thinking of tilting the current piece toward the tongue and Redrilling the holes. Please put this on top of the to do list. Lol

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Pat you could post up some picks over on the trailer section and I'm sure they guys over there can give some good suggestions ..
I may do the same when the time comes .. I know for sure that I will be replacing the short tube tongue section with a longer one for more tongue length and welding a cross piece further under the boat to tie it all together ... That will also give me a place to install a front roller ..
I have priced a 3x3x3/16 " galv tube locally ... 20 ft piece for 170 bucks . That should be plenty for what I have in mind ...I have looked at a few parts stores online and have not seen what I'm looking for yet ... I need a metal roller that will sit above the wench that I can roll the cable or strap over and then a bow stop above that .. If that makes any sense ...

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Or I could just steal your ideas when you get to it. Lol. Good idea on the trailer section. For some reason, I didn't even think to do that. I was thinking or trying to find galvinized sheets like what the post is made of and making a new one that will be recessed a bit and taller to get over the bow eye. Maybe a trip to the trailer section is in order.

jbcurt00

Staff member
LS Malibu.... nice

But not as nice as your Wagemaker will be. But thats a tad inaccurate: Wages Devour-er, Wages Consumer would be more accurate.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yes John all these projects seem to consume a good part of our wages unfortunately ...... But we can't take it with us so may as well spend it on what we enjoy doing ..
Finally got away from the odk long enough to do the pre-resto splash ...It was leaking a good bit at the transom and we have some storms headed our way so didn't leave it in long ...Sorry about the 3 stooges vid but here it is ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A little breezy this afternoon ... Hope we get some rain .

Didn't come gushing in but enough to puddle up pretty good .

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Looking Good! No big surprises are always a good place to start a project. Bring her back to life. Wonder how long it had been since she had been on the water?? Awesome.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
SS , my guess from talking with the po
Probably around 20 years give or take since being in the water .
I'll probably start thinking about building some sort of cradle soon and get it flipped .
Not really sure where to start . I assume the outside of the hull should be first .
Gunna need some input from our wood boat pro's here on how to best fix the leaks .
What are the options and what products to use ..