More Time Than Money

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Never tackled a boat project before. This site seems to have a lot of helpful people who are willing to share info. I'm restoring and remodeling at the same time here. I would like this to look original at a passing glance, but I want to incorporate some more modern features. Got the boat on a trailer for free . Its a 1965 Starcraft Runabout, I'm guessing it's a Jet because of the original seating.

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm probably going to take a couple of posts to get used to getting around this site, so bare with me. The floor was completely rotten and as I'm finding out, wasn't original anyway so I decided to follow others and went with 1" pink Styrofoam between this floor ribs then cover with 1/4" marine plywood and rivot it down with 3/16" x1/2" aluminum rivots. Copied the example of "Permanent Vacation". Been following his journey and have learned a lot from his trials and errors. My transom which I was confident was in excellent condition, was very easy to stick a screwdriver into. After finally removing "all" the screws, I used the old method of prying with a long pole placed under the transom. By switching from1 side to the other I had a relatively easy removal compared to using a tree or an engine hoist.(if it wasn't for those 2 post I read, I'm sure I probably would have at least tried that method.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
This sounds like an interesting project. I'd like to follow along if that is okay with you. :noidea:

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Even thou I used marine plywood, should I give consideration to treating the top surface with a waterproof sealer? I'll be carpeting the floor and am concerned with to much water and it's effect on untreated wood. Just thinking out loud.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yes, you should seal it.

Old timers formula
Spar varnish
Epoxy

ALL sides and all 4 edges of every piece, the more the better, ESP under carpet.

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As I wasn't to sure, I did smear clear silicone caulk or PL construction adhesive on all the plywood edges I wasn't going to be able to get to later. Thanks for the input. I'm going to be installing the new transom soon and I also sealed that perimeter with a good layer of silicone caulk. I put a spot over each of the laminating screws just to be sure.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Post up some pics of your project Jet when you get a chance so we can properly allow your admittance into the Starnada. :D

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess I have to post a few times to be eligible to post pics. As soon as I can I'll drop a few to show my journey so far. Actually looking forward to some experienced input as I chug along. My goal is to put it in the lake completed this spring.

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, most pics are
in my phone and I'm using a tablet for this post. I gotta get them sent to the tablet. Soon I hope.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Tagging along as well. Looking forwrd to pics of your project. You've come to the best place on the web for everything boats. Lots of great people on here to help you with any questions you may have.

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It's a great place, I agree. Found the right color seats here so got them and a bunch of other stuff on my list. Looking forward to spring.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Aluminum boat means NO silly-vone unless its specifically labeled for aluminum.

And I wouldnt seal the plywood transom to the aluminum anywhere.

Seal thru holes in the transom, but dont caulk it into place.

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess there's some value to asking first. Kinda hard to remove silicone from perrimeter of transom now but will make sure not to caulk wood to aluminum. None so far so timing is right. Only silicone so far is as wood to wood glue and end sealing. Thanks for the input.

Jeff-n-Gail

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I've started to get to the exterior sanding while my mind tries to formulate a schedule. When I removed the old transom, I noticed a thin gasket between the transom and the aluminum tray. If I seal the transom plywood with a good coat of spar marine varnish, I am assuming I will be ok without the gasket but I feel the need to fish for a second opinion. Also I covered the exposed wood from the "new" transom height on the outside with thin aluminum flat stock and it looks quite nice if I must say so myself. I have been considering also covering the transom on the inside with the same him flat stock. Thinking that when the tray is screwed to the transom, it will hold the aluminum in place without any other fastening needed. I'm not familiar with the amount of abuse the transom area will be going thru so not sure also on If I should just paint it. Any idea's?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Well sealed transom, doesnt need an aluminum skin on the inside.

Get some 3M 5200 and use it along the screw flange for the splashwell. You want all the watwr that gets in thw splashwell to go out the splashwell deains, not between the splashwell and transom..

Following 1 of these 3 methods for pix wpuld be helpful for those helping you
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum...pload-tutorial

Pix keep the mob at bay.....
Angrymob_zps2c5b1c57.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I like to use this to seal all wood components on a boat
Sealer.jpg
You can then Paint it or leave it Au Natural' Up to you!!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with Woods method and also kinda like the idea of the thin aluminium sheet. Mine (Crestliner) came this way and I think it looks more finished. Just my opinion. It also adds a layer of protection to the wood. Aluminium won't get weathered and rot with exposure to the elements...at least not as quickly. My inner piece ran the length of the transom and was riveted to the bottom track that the transom sits in. Then the splash well was riveted through it and the transom. I used 5200 on all screws and rivets that went through the transom wood and also used it to seal the splash well to the inner aluminium skin. Hope this helps.