How to repair a cigarette burn on vinyl seat

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Is it even possible? NO SMOKING! Too late!
So, I've been looking around here and not finding much on the subject.
It's a small burn. Not burned through, but ugly enough to p*** me off. Our boat is a 2003 but it (was) immaculate.
So, has anyone used those vinyl repair kits? And if so, which ones give good results? It has always seemed that the biggest drawback was the color match. I don't want to make it look worse, so maybe I should just leave it alone.
Any thoughts?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah so I was thinking the same thing. Similar issue here as I was enjoying a stogie and bumped the coal on the bimini brace pole causing some embers to fly off and land on my sun deck which made a few little speckled burns. In searching I found the 3M product and I like pretty much everything they make so I got some but haven't used it yet, waiting on spring cleaning and such.

http://3mauto.com/products/miscellan...RpXTY2quDOD.97

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The 3M kit is the best I've come across. I've used others but wasn't impressed with the results. You have to be really careful with the heat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Best thing is to take off the skin and take it to an upholsterer and have them sew in a new piece.

Or...live with it and allow it to stay to show people why you don't allow smoking in your boat.

Smoking in a boat isn't the brightest thing to do.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Ive tried the 3m vinyl repair,...not good,.. especially on a seat because after sitting on it it turn black and gooey and will actually stick to your pants. I had better luck with a tube of exterior silicone (must be real silicone, dont use latex) then go to the hobby store and get various colors of testers enamel paints,.. mix till your happy with the color match. I did this two yrs to a seat and it hold up great and is barely noticeable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You smack the smoker over the head with an oar, and make them pay for repairing the burn at a vinyl shop

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Perfect solution... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
There may be a professional vinyl repair person in your local area. Check your yellow pages or with local upholstery shops or used car lots for leads. I do vinyl repair on the side and could make that burn disappear. If done right, (not with a parts house kit) not only is it a cosmetic repair but it will be structurally sound as well.