1973 Burns Craft 32' houseboat w/ flybridge... transom question...

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This may be in the wrong area, so I apologize in advance. We are looking to trade our cruiser for a 1973 Burns Craft houseboat that has been remodeled and re-powered. The houseboat was removed from the water 4 years ago and it was given an okay. The question of the hour goes like this. I was standing on the dock at the portside of the houseboat by the transom and with my left foot I put some weight on the swim platform (maybe 20 pounds) while I was holding on to the dock support and my right foot remaining on the dock. I noticed some "flex" outward of the transom from where the top mounting bracket of the swim platform was attached to it while I had weight on it. I removed my left foot and the transom "flex" went back to its normal place. There is no physical damage or stress markings on the entire transom area. The first thing that comes to mind is transom rot, because I have not seen this type of visual "flex" before.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Obviously be very leery of a boat that old. If it was remodeled, was it gutted and remodeled, or just interior stuff? Do they have pictures? When you say "given an ok", who gave it an ok? Was it surveyed? Sounds like that was the top of the transom that was flexing. I can't imagine that's a good thing! Of course these are just my opinions, I'm sure others will chime in that are far more experienced than I. Until then, do you have any pictures you can share?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
What powerplants are in that boat? It makes a diffrence. My 69 Nautiline has some flex when steping on the swim platform but not a lot. My boat was completely rebuilt in 2004. With a glass houseboat look close in the middle of the boat. Is it bowed? If it is suspected stringer issues. Is the boat still floating? Will you have it surveyed? If yes choose one with a mostiure meter. They can read the transom and tell you condition. My bet is the owner will not let anyone near it with a drill if it is docked.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
By the way Burnscraft was some of the best built boats of their type in that era.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Since the transom has an outward curve to it, I'm thinking it should be stable enuf, (If it's 100% structurally sound) to NOT flex with only 20 lbs of pressure applied. Especially if the swim platform is located in the approximate same position a this one. It's not as critical on a boat configured like this one but... you want it to be stable and have as little flex as possible. If My Big Behind go on the swim platform, I'd hate to think how much it would flex in its current state.

3160069_0_070220111219_1.jpg

This is something you should understand as well...

FIBERGLASS HOUSEBOATS

* Fiberglass boats are the costliest and most time consuming to repair.

* Fiberglass boats are glass on the outside but most have significant amounts of wood on the inside in the form of roofs, decks, framing, transom reinforcement, hatch covers, etc. This is the Achilles heel of fiberglass houseboats. The rotting of the wood eventually will weaken the boat enough to make it worthless, unless repaired properly. Many of these boats will still look good but investigation will reveal damage beyond economical repair.

* Where to look - Soft roofs and decks indicate the supporting plywood is rotted and in need of replacement. This is within the capabilities of the average handyman with wood working and fiber glassing skills. Yard price $500 for a spot, $4000 up for extensive work. Stringer and transom rot requires removal of the machinery and advanced wood working and fiber glassing skills. This work is best left to a yard experienced in this kind of work. Vee drive boats $6,000 up. Out drive boats $7000 up.

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
The transom on my Nautiline is flat as a board. It was replaced in 2004. My son in laws Gibson flexed some when weight was applied. The Carlscraft accross the dock from me flexes as well. Remember we are talking about 12 to 16 foot span not 6 to 10. On the down side my boat was the first one we looked at. Didnt take her then, looked at many rotten boats before we went back and made the deal. It cost 7 grand just to move her to the current spot so transport isnt cheap either.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
we make dinghy and swim platform lifts at work that are bolted to the transom of large cruisers, sport fishers, and small yachts and rated to lift up to 2500# in our standard products. if the transom is flexing, something is wrong. PERIOD

on that 45 year old houseboat. make sure you get a survey done. guaranteed there are structural issues.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
That is the precise reason I recommend to have a survey done and ask if the use a mostiure meter. Not all do. Not all surveyors are equal. Especially in big boats brokers know they can call Joe who for a few hundred bucks and a six pack can get a great score with few issues and high value. If you call Tom it might cost you a grand but he will nit pick the thing apart and the value will be lower. No matter who you are and how well you think your boat is keep up a good survey will hurt your fealings. Houseboating isnt cheap.There is a lot more than slip fees. Is it a covered slip? Boat will be in much better condition. But you will not see window leaks if you move it to an open slip. Fiberglass houseboats are not like regular trailer boats.The older ones will not blister as fast as a newer one. The hulls can be 2 inches thick. Upkeep is a yearly thing. Resealing doors,windows, checking outdrive boots, hull cleaning. But if you can afford it they are awesome. Many houseboats of every style are less than steller in upkeep. But they are used for many years. A Carlscraft that I thought was a rotten piece is still in use 6 years latter. The roof and decks were soft, the rear stringers were rotten hulls with no wood left. 3/4 inch bow the middle of the gallery floor. They take it out most every weekend and enjoy the heck out of it. Boats have always been Break Out Another Thousand. Some people dont but they still boat and enjoy them tremendously.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
My boat 1969 Nautiline. A surveyor would have a feild day. But it is still one of the best upkeep boats in our marina. Maintenance log keep on every detail that happens on boat from water pump impellers in engine pumps to Joker valves in the head.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If maybe 20# on the swim platform is flexing the transom, why ask if something is wrong? Try standing on it with all your weight and see how much it flexes. Hold on tight!