My First Restoration: 1987 Sears Vee Hull

Dingy Dude

Cadet
What's up guys,
I purchased a beat up 12' long and 52" wide Sears Vee Hull off a Craigslist deal for $80. The previous owner took the seats and rotten transom out, so it's a bare boat and coated everything with marine epoxy. I filled it with water and found 6 leaks within the rivets so far..

My plan with the boat is to completely restore it, which will take some time due to the excessive epoxy and spray paint job. I will upload pictures in the near future and keep you guys updated, being this is my first boat restoration I will probably need some help..

64osby

Admiral
Welcome to iboats.

Having had several small tinners, I would state making a useable boat should be the path. Unless you like dumping money for little to no reason.

First try and re-buck the leaking rivets. If that doesn't work then replace them.

Most 12' boats have a capacity of 500 pounds including the motor. This makes it a one person boat unless it is teenagers or smaller then average adults.

Getting a dry boat will get you on the water, if you want a two person boat fix the leaks replace the wood and sell or trade up to a 14'er. A 2 person boat is worth fixing up.

You will never get the money out of a 12' hull if you restore it. It may be a nice boat but it is limited in function and it will be a money pit if fully restored.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to pass on some sage advice. Have seen many here that started with a 12'er and quickly realize they need a bigger boat.

Your results may be different.

Dingy Dude

Cadet
Thank you for the advice,

I'm really looking to sell or trade this boat for a 1448 to a 1650 jon boat. This boat was more of a cheap option that I wanted to keep me busy when I have a month of free time. I have accessibility to welders with welding experience so this was more of a fun project than anything.

I also should clarify that when I meant "restoration" I meant to make it function-able again. I'm going to change the title so it's not as misleading.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Edit is only available for 1hour after a post is made.

After the 1hr expires, just ask a Mod to make corrections/changes and we will. Just post what you want the new title to be.

I wouldnt suggest welding any needed repairs unless the boat was originally a welded hull, for riveted hulls, IMO, riveted repairs are a better choice.

Post some pix, Sears didnt make the boats they sold. They were made and badged Sears by someone else. And by more then 1 company during the time period Sears sold boats. Not sure they still sold self-branded boats in 1987, but maybe they did.

Is there a HIN (boats have HINs not VINs) stamped on the boat?
Title?
Registration?

If its an 87, it'll have a stamped HIN that IDs it. Depending on the HIN, or if it doesnt have one, it might be older then you think. Regardless of what the title/reg says.

Dingy Dude

Cadet
I got a title, the owner did not know the year it was but put 87' on the bill of sale...
The HN was removed from the boat by a previous owner, I saw the old rivet holes where it was once stamped onto the boat.
Why rivet repairs vs welded?

I am planning on welding an angled piece of 1/8" aluminum and another 1/8" aluminum beam across the transom for support, because there is play towards the top. I am also going to weld two beams across the middle which will double as seats, there needs to be support across the middle and something to keep it from bowing out.

64osby

Admiral
Sounds like the transom needs replacing. If after replacement it still has flex then bolting on supports would be easy and better IMO. Welding riveted hulls can cause the skin to become brittle and may cause the skin to crack.

There are a ton of stories on the web about hulls that were welded and then they chased the cracks with more welds until the hull landed in the scrap yard.

The plate may have been removed but some hulls have the HIN stamped in the transom.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welding can work harden aluminum and make it more likely to crack at or very near the welds.

Welding near a riveted seam can damage the seam sealer used by however made the boat.

The title doesnt list a year?

No factory HIN is often bad enough to deal w depending on your state regulations/requirements, but evidence of the HINs removal would make me nervous. As would a seller who admitted not knowing what year boat he 'owned' and they simply made up a year to put on a BoS, esp for a boat w evidence of the removal of the HIN. IMO, would have been much better unspecified or listed as unknown.

Here in WV there are steps.to follow for a boat that doesnt have a state issued title, no HIN and/or no previous registration, but it can be done. In other states its nearly impossible. But having evidence of removal or tampering w a boat or trailer ID# would cause major problems and delays. Possibly to the point of making the boat better suited to being used as yard art or additional fill at the local dump.

Best of luck getting it sorted out. Hope it goes well.

I definitely wouldnt spend any time or money on it until you get it reg/titled in your name. Again, depending on your state. It has taken some, in similar circumstances, months to get it resolved. Some more then 6months.

Pix would be helpful, but it sounds like the interior has been gutted. A 12ftr should have a bench seat at the transom, a small seat up in or very near the bow and another in between the other 2. They should be foam filled, or at least the rear 2 should be, and they keep the boat rigid.

Is this an extremely lightwieght, thin aluminum hulled 12ftr?

Dingy Dude

Cadet
There was no Title either, I just got a bill of sale....
I was told that for GA you can get it registered with just a bill of sale, but I'm going to need to contact the DNR and have one of them come out and inspect the boat and give it a new serial number. It's a hassle but from what I'm told, it's possible.

As far as the welding I may go ahead and do it anyways... The boat needs support in the center since a previous owner ripped the seats, and old rivets out.

I'll add pictures tomorrow, the boat needs work but it's water worthy still.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Then I suspect you've got a tough road ahead. The seller put 1987 on the BoS, which means the boat should have a HIN, it doesnt and shows evidence of having the HIN removed. If so, then theres nothing to prove the BoS is for the boat you bought. And GAs website says you need documentation to prove the BoS is for the boat you want to register.

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/2969

Again, best of luck. And I strongly suggest reconsidering the decision to weld.

Dingy Dude

Cadet
Here are a couple pictures after I burned through an entire wire brush wheel on the transom

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg