Do I have to paint the hull?

Megalotis

Cadet
I have a fiberglass Sea Pro boat that was given to me with substantial barnacle growth on the hull below the waterline. I've scraped all the barnacles off and used a 80 grit sandpaper to remove all signs of fouling. The hull is in very good shape and the sanding is only to the gelcoat on a fiberglass hull. The boat will not be stored in the water but trailered for launching. I am located in saltwater as well as brackish inlets. Do I have to paint the hull? Is it adviseable? Is there a coat I can use other than paint to restore the finish if the fouling likely wouldn't be too bad if the boat isn't stored in water? Thanks for the help in advance.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If there is still some life in the gell coat you could just compound and buff it out ...

tpenfield

Staff member
Put a barrier coat and then an anti-fouling paint on the hull for the areas that you had to do the scraping and sanding.

I recommend Interlux Interprotect 2000 for the barrier coat.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Personally, I wouldn't bother if you are trailering. If you are only leaving it in for hours at a time in my experience a quick washdown after is all that's needed.

Megalotis

Cadet
So the gel coat just provides a gloss finish to the hull, correct? There's no opportunity to ruin the fiberglass if the gel coat is sanded too much and no finish is reapplied?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If it's kept on the trailer the only reason to do anything is for cosmetic purposes. So if you don't care, it doesn't matter.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So the gel coat just provides a gloss finish to the hull, correct? There's no opportunity to ruin the fiberglass if the gel coat is sanded too much and no finish is reapplied?

If you sanded thru the gel, that is a different issue. I would patch the gel.

Post up pics

Megalotis

Cadet
No Title

Pictures represent 1. Barnacle growth after scraping prior to sanding. 2. Barnacle growth along side sanded portion of port side of hull. 3. Starboard cleaned portion of hull. And 4. Is a pic of the one spot I may have sanded too heavily. That spot is the size of a quarter.

Attachments

• photo256413.jpg
    photo256413.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256414.jpg
    photo256414.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256415.jpg
    photo256415.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256416.jpg
    photo256416.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So many opinions with equally good reasons. So I'll give you my 0.02 cents worth as well. Paint isn't only for show. It serves a purpose as well. Even if you have no plans for anything fancy, I'd still shoot a coat of quality paint and that will help keep a barrier between the gel coat and the water. And anything that offers even a little protection is well worth the effort. So if it were mine, I would prep the gel coat and shoot or roll on something on there for an added barrier. And the looks would be an added bonus. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Paint is a very poor barrier to moisture, gel coat is better, and epoxy is considerably better, but water permeates everything. A trailer boat doesn't spend enough time in the water for it to have an effect on even an uncoated laminate, so the value of the coating is cosmetic. You could argue that UV protection is more important than moisture protection on a trailer boat.
If the desire is to protect the hull (laminate) from water, epoxy is the best product to use, paint and gel coat allow too much moisture transfer.

If you were looking for rain gear to wear, paint would be the equivalent of a light wind breaker, for short term light rain it may be good enough, but it will soak though rather quickly. Gel coat would be a more durable water resistant fabric with a waterproof coating, for the most part it will keep you dry, but long term water will find its way through. Epoxy would be rubber rain gear, it will hold up for a very long time and keep you drier than anything else.

Megalotis

Cadet
Thanks for all the responses. Great help! I just wanted to make sure that what's under the gel coat wouldn't deteriorate without a proper gel coat over it under short hours of water time during daily use. I'm leaning towards leaving it as is but may get a wild hair and gel coat it.

drrnjnr

Seaman
I painted below the water line om my boat with Gelshield Pro, 6 coats. It's a 2 component paint and ROCK HARD, excellent stuff- just roll it on with a roller and Bob's yer uncle. Not cheap, but great stuff........