My New Project

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recently I swapped my old CJ6 Willys Jeep for a boat, unbeknownst to me it came with a second boat and two extra motors and a ton of stray bits and pieces, so the red and white boat is a Pride Starfire locally made Australian run about not quiet 16 foot long, the white hull is a crap heap but the old Chrysler 75 is a ripper and this motor goes on the red and white hull, the boat is in fair condition, the floor has been lifted and surprisingly it is foam filled under the floor, looks like the invader foam you buy for filling cavitys at home, so all that has to be removed, while the floor is up ill check the stringers and keel beam out if there dodgey ill make up new ones, epoxy these in and glass tape everything up, ill cut out a new floor from marine ply, ill put a layer of dynel cloth and resin on the underside, when the floor is dropped in it will go down on a bed of silicone, the top will then be screwed down with stainless screws and dynel cloth layed over the top, that really does most of the hard work on the hull, ill repaint the inside and the floor, lay marine carpet down i havent decided on seats yet wether back to backs or swivel seats, the Chrysler will be stripped bed blast all the corrosion of every last piece, paint all the components, replace any rusty bolts on the outer and the powerhead, new seals, gaskets, full service shes ready to roll, she will get new control cables, new battery leads, water filter,, some silly jobs like filing the prop blades so there smooth, new plastic fuel tanks. The hull will cop a thorough polish new screen perspex lightly tinted, my brother will scan upmnew decals for hull and outboard on his plotter, add a name when I think of one, must name a boat.

The trailer needs love the axel is fitted straight to the frame with them little wheel barrow wheels that dont like being towed at 100 kph, so that will need to be leaf sprung, new 14 inch wheels and decent tyres, new wheel guards, several coats of epoxy enamel white paint, new winch with strap not galv wire, new hitch, new LED lights.

Last minute jobs will see new instruments including temp gauge, tacho, speedo, 27 meg radio, bimini canopy.

She will be used for fun in the sun, cruising, hooning, towing the tube and skiing, progress pics will follow.

Attachments

• photo256377.jpg
    photo256377.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256378.jpg
    photo256378.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Another pic of the hull and the spare 75, must have a few spare donks when one runs Chrysler, dead ones tend to follow me home lol

Attachments

• photo256382.jpg
    photo256382.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256383.jpg
    photo256383.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 0

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This come with the boats, its not a 150 as the cover says its a 67 90 hp Merc, rumored to go i have a project in mind for this later

Attachments

• photo256225.jpg
    photo256225.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 0

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Awesome looking projects, those old Chryseler motors seem to run forever. Are you fixing both boats?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm scratching my head ... What is hooning ? :noidea: Or should I ask ? :rolleyes:
Welcome aboard !!!

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm scratching my head ... What is hooning ? :noidea: Or should I ask ? :rolleyes:
Welcome aboard !!!
Typically "Hooning" refers to driving something around like a madman. This is usually done in front of lots of video cameras (GoPro's most of the time) so the event can be shared with everybody on YouTube, or a similar online format. I'm not sure if this is that case here, but that's usually what comes to mind whenever I see that word used. Google "Ken Block Gymkana" and you'll get tons of video samples of Hooning.

Looks like a fun project(s), Definitely want to rebuilt them as solid as possible if there's any chance of "hooning" around with that hull.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hooning is what us bogans do in anything with an engine - typically mopeds use only the rear wheel, cars have 1 or both rear wheels constantly smoking, and boats rarely track in a straight line - u know, using them as theyre supposed to be used!

1 of my recent boats was a '76 pride premier with a '77 chrysler 75hp! - terrific package, and that motor ran hard without ever a fault, just luverly. And pride's are built well, some ppl complain that theyre too heavy, but i think thats cause theyre actually build to last. Good luck with the resto!

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes hooning is just hooning, you know ripping around like a mad thing full throttle, thats what boats are for, bet you are thinking whats a bogan lol

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hooning is what us bogans do in anything with an engine - typically mopeds use only the rear wheel, cars have 1 or both rear wheels constantly smoking, and boats rarely track in a straight line - u know, using them as theyre supposed to be
1 of my recent boats was a '76 pride premier with a '77 chrysler 75hp! - terrific package, and that motor ran hard without ever a fault, just luverly. And pride's are built well, some ppl complain that theyre too heavy, but i think thats cause theyre actually build to last. Good luck with the resto!
Yep Pride built a good boat

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok , that answers my question ... Thanks !
Down here in the south we call that just showing off or the terms "Watch This " !!!! is used just before something really bad happens preceded by at least
one Ohhh S_ _ t !!! :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well now I have to tag along with this project thread, if that is Okay?

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll bite. So what's "bogan" mean? :D
Ok so in australia we have bogans, spise you could compare to a yank red neck, bogans are rat bags, generally missing most of there teeth, drink beer like theres no end to it or if they cant afford beer they drink goon " cheap wine", they think manual labor was a spaniard, infact most wouldnt work in an iron lung, they live in the govt hoysing areas in derro houses with heaps of stripped cars and dead washing machines in the front yard, shower once a year, have a house cleaner that comes well never lol every second word starts with F or C, get my drift lol