Jb weld

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone know where to buy jb weld in a larger container , or anything else that would work on aluminum as well as jb weld

fishrdan

Admiral
I've bought the boxed set from Lowes or Homedepot, each tube is 5oz. About half the size of a tube of tooth paste.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are better epoxies for aluminum. look into enecon

However prior to gluing something, I would have it welded.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Going to have to be more specific Dave.

How big is (are the) hole(s).
Where are the holes?
Hull below the water line, abive, interior panels?
On what boat(s)?

JB Weld and MarineTex are both widely used on aluminum boats.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
I so love JB Weld when its used right. Had it in an old Ford radiator for 30 years now. When its used badly man is it a mess.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Lowes (some stores) carry the 10 oz pack (5+5). Amazon carry it as well. Are you using it as putty or you are welding a through hole or a crack?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Only other epoxies that I ever used that were equivalent or better were expensive epoxies that the government contracted for special usages.

alldodge

Staff member
put "JB Weld 10 oz" in google and all kinds show up

Do agree, aluminum welding is better, but then you need a lathe to shave it back down. As others said, what ya working on?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
To answer question specifically...Other kinds of epoxy for filling holes...PC-11 Sold at ALL Ace Hardware stores and Home Depot's 1lb kit about $30 bucks. Shelf life over 3yrs. I know cuz mine is that old and still cures great!!!!

PC-11.jpg

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Meir or is going to use it like a putty his tracker was used in salt water and has some pin holes in the transom.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Good catchJB!! Yeah for PIN Holes a more viscous Epoxy is needed. the Gluv-It would work fairly well with a cover plate as previously recommended.;)

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya his boat is the weirdest I have ever seen. He has pinholes. All through the transom some the size of the head of a finishing nail. And some tiny, but he has pinholes nowhere else on the boat, He is in the process of removing all the paint off of the transom and inside the splsshwell. I was thinking unless we are suppressed by it being a lot worse, I was thinking of filling the larger holes and the skimming the entires surface With jb weld or something better. Maybe something with aluminum. In the formula

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I bet one of two things is occuring:
the boat had sunk in the salt water and the transom wood is wet with wood.
or the boat owner has something grounded to the transom and not properly bonded back to the battery

if either is the case, you can skin coat it all you want, it wont help

seriously look at Enecon (its what the Navy uses for on-board ship repair while out at sea)

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bout some of that before. It comes I'm like a large tube with a plunger right. If so it great stuff

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I haven't used that line of products before, but they look good.