Replacing Old hull patch work inside and out

bellsinaboat

Cadet
Well we finally got the boat apart. Got the cap off, removed the flooring, stringers and wet foam. We found old patch work under a stringer on the port-side in bad condition. The glass is delaminated on the edges and brown (clay-looking) caulking? is crumbling. That area is so weak that you can punch through it with a finger. My questions for the repair are:

Do you recommend using vinyl-ester resin instead of epoxy resin for the inside reglassing since we will have to repair gel coat underneath?

What do you recommend for the repair of that area in general?

Attachments

• leftsidelookingdown.png
    leftsidelookingdown.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • LEFTSIDEVIEWFROMSTERN.png
    LEFTSIDEVIEWFROMSTERN.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • leftsidestringerarea.png
    leftsidestringerarea.png
  • leftsidehull.png
    leftsidehull.png

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Any resin will make a good repair, so stick with something that's easy, and if your'e going to use gel coat go with VE or regular polyester.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup ^^^ Layup should be a couple of layers of 1708 on the inside and a couple layers of CSM on the outside. Sand and Fair the outside and then gelcoat.

bellsinaboat

Cadet
leftsidehull.png

Do you guys think that is old paint or old gel coat peeling on hull below the patched area? We found that puzzling since it peels off like rubber.

Attachments

• leftsidehull.png
    leftsidehull.png
  • leftsidehull.png
    leftsidehull.png

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Gel coat is nothing like rubber, it looks like something they put on to help stop it from leaking, it all need to be removed for any repairs to be done.

bellsinaboat

Cadet
Thanks so much for the great advice.

But, out of curiosity if we did use epoxy to patch those areas, would our only option be painting the hull of the boat to coat the gel coat and epoxy patched areas?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It wouldn't be the only option, but getting gel coat to bond to epoxy is more difficult and involved.

bellsinaboat

Cadet
Understood. We were thinking of painting the hull with a large blue section on the lower middle side of the hull instead of the little stripes that currently exist. We've put so much effort into this we want to make it all our own style. But, I don't want to make a mistake now that will mess up any future painting.

I wonder if painting is possible over the combination of the existing gel coat and epoxy patched areas? Will gelcoat be needed over any patchwork before painting? sorry if I am not getting something.

trimmedoriginal.jpg

It wouldn't be the only option, but getting gel coat to bond to epoxy is more difficult and involved.

Attachments

• trimmedoriginal.jpg
    trimmedoriginal.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Repairs over glass (resin type doesn't matter) typically need some type primer to fill the tiny pin holes and defects in the surface, gel coat works very well as the primer and finish product over polyester or VE resin. If you go over epoxy you typically use an epoxy compatible product (most other primers and paints are).

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Any specific reason to use epoxy? Well preped area and poly would be all you really need.

bellsinaboat

Cadet
Since we are doing the rebuild in our garage, we wanted to avoid the odor of polyester/vinylester resin. The problems with patchwork didn't become apparant until we were grinding and seeing the real condition of the inside and how it is effecting the existing gelcoat.

I have several gallons of epoxy in waiting for the transom, stringers and flooring work and expected to end up ordering more resin anyway.

Guess my best option at this point is to use vinylester resin with 1708 for the patchwork. Then put the transom, stringers, flooring down with epoxy as planned.

I haven't smelled the vinylester resin before, but i anticipate needing a really powerful fan that I can point at the neighbor's barking dog.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
VE stinks, if you wnat to keep the odor down I'd go with epoxy all the way.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree again. A good quality paint will yield a very durable finish for your hull.

bellsinaboat

Cadet
Thanks for your time and assistance gentlemen. Ill be done grinding (hopefully) in the next few weeks, I'll let you know how it goes.

Woodonglass, my boat will not be sitting in a marina do you think that tractor paint is a good option?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
As long as it's not In the Water for more than 3-5 days...Yup, IMHO it's a very good and easy application.