16' canoe stringers resin fiberglass

norlan

Cadet
No Title

I'm gonna do as you said and use the resin mixed to fill it but first i need to make sure what to do with all of the covered areas of the keel.
Also, i had in mind composite in place of wood. What would be better to reduce weight and make it strong enough as it should be?

Attachments

• photo256197.jpg
    photo256197.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256198.jpg
    photo256198.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 0

norlan

Cadet
The structural strength of the stringers belong to the fiberglass shell right? I thought about hollow stringers or fill it with some foam but not quite sure which type of foam I should use for this

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
The structural strength is from the wood bonded to the shell not just the fiberglass shell. Hollow srtingers would have to be thick to support much weight. That would add more weight than just the wood.

norlan

Cadet
The structural strength is from the wood bonded to the shell not just the fiberglass shell. Hollow srtingers would have to be thick to support much weight. That would add more weight than just the wood.

Even in this case being a canoe? Think 2x1 pine wood from homedepot will be okay or there's other alternatives. I almost bought pool foam noodles to put inside

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Actually for this application you could use cardboard tubes cut in half length wise and then apply 2 layers of 1708 fabric over them. This would be more than adequate for your canoe. This member used this technique to form the crossmembers for the underside of his top bow deck and they were strong enuf to walk on and he is a pretty big guy.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...mplete-restore-splashed?p=3965348#post3965348

As for the covered portions of the keel I'd recommend removing the glass to gain full access to the keel. Grind out the channel and then fill ALL of it with the resin and glass. Then install the crossbracing.

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Two layers of 1708 is pretty thick. 3 layers are as thick as many boat hulls. They would also bond better more spread out in layup not directly on top of one another. 2x1 pine that is dry would be fine. Grind the area for repair back 3 to 5 inches on each side. Coat 2x1 with resin, no glass cloth then put it in on a bed of csm. Use a 8oz or better cloth to seal it to the floor. As Woodonglass said the best would be to open up keel and fill with glass then rebuild your crossbracing.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, actually 2 layers of 1708 and resin yields a laminate that's only about 5/32 of an inch. That's more than enough for your application of hollow cross bracing. For Real Boat Stringers I'd recommend 4 layers IF you wanted hollow stringers.

12534d1176835553-fiberglass-cloth-thickness-strength-glass-thickness-chart.jpg