Lifting boat off trailer for hull painting

Benj269

Recruit
I have a 1993 Bayliner Jazz that I would like to paint the hull. I currently have the engine and jet removed for repair. What is the best way to get at the bottom where the trailer bunks are? Lift it up and remove the trailer? Set it on jack stands? What is the best picking point for lifting? Can I lift by the bow "bat" and the tie-down eyes in the rear? Are they strong enough to support the weight of the hull?

alldodge

Staff member
The eyes "should" be strong enough to lift the boat. I say should because I don't know how well the boat is made. Would think the bow eye should be no issue, just check the stern eyes on the inside to see what is used to reinforce.

If you have something tall enough, you could hook the bow eye and pick the boat up on end. Then set it back down when done and do the stern

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Check your owners manual. Mine says my boat can be lifted by the bow and stern tie downs but shouldn't be left that way long term. If you have a way to lift the boat, I'd recommend lifting by the tie downs and then blocking the hull. You can move the blocks as you get to each with the paint.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Somebody here took the boat off the trailer, rested the hull on some old tires and rolled the hull to one side for painting.

A 14' Jazz isn't large or very heavy, only 1000# dry. With the engine, jet, battery, etc. removed to lighten up the hull as much as possible and you should be able to do a roll, paint and roll again for the other side. Some buddies and beer will do the the trick.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1993 Bayliner Jazz that I would like to paint the hull. I currently have the engine and jet removed for repair. What is the best way to get at the bottom where the trailer bunks are? Lift it up and remove the trailer? Set it on jack stands? What is the best picking point for lifting? Can I lift by the bow "bat" and the tie-down eyes in the rear? Are they strong enough to support the weight of the hull?

I didn't realize how small it is. Which now makes me wonder why you want to paint the hull. You should be aware that hull paint can adversely affect speed through the water and will definitely increase friction between the boat hull and trailer bunks. If you are wanting to paint for cosmetic reasons, you'd be better off wet sanding and polishing the hull.
Also, if by "bow bat" you mean the cleat on the bow, don't use any cleat as a lift point. They are not designed to support the weight of the boat.