Center console stringer and floor replacement project

Cparker41

Cadet
Just starting this project. I've got the floor cut out and the old stringers removed.
I purchased this boat knowing it was going to be a pretty good project for me and my son. I didn't however know what I was going to run into. I have never heard of this happening to a fiberglass boat before. After I cut the floor out, I realized what caused all the damage to the wood. Termites!!! They have eat most all of the floor out and a good bit of the stringers. I don't think they have got to the transom. Has anyone ever ran into this before? I'll post pics of my progress so far.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Make, Model and year of the boat would help us to help you. Pics are always welcome so we can see what you see. Termites, Ants etc are all fairly common on Old Rotting boats.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
That tells me it was probably left outside uncovered for a very long time. Make sure you spray some termite stuff to prevent them in the future.

Cparker41

Cadet
I've been trying to upload some pics. Not having any luck. What format do they need to be in? It keeps saying invalid file data jpeg

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Termites? Are you sure? Did you actually see them or just assume from the condition of the wood?
Subterranean termites like wet wood but also need a direct connection to earth not easy to accomplish in a fiberglass boat up on a trailer and drywood termites don't like wet wood.
Sheeesh, me and termites, don't get me started.

Cparker41

Cadet
I did see them. Lots and lots of them. From tiny little white ones to bigger ones. Almost as big as a roach. I started spraying the entire boat at the end of every day that I work on it with termite killer. This boat is setting in my shop. I have steel building but have a office in it made out of wood. So the whole time I'm tearing all this wood out and tossing it in the floor, I have my son spraying the wood I throw out again. Just to be sure I got them all. The first time I sprayed it, these things came out by the dozens looking for air and somewhere to go. I had the stuff mixed pretty strong. I was completely amazed when I actually saw with my on eyes the amount of damage these termites are capable of. I had no clue. My house is about 3 miles away from my shop and I still called the exterminator to come spray my house. I had all this fiberglass all over me and itching anyway and I was afraid that they may have hitched a ride home on my clothes.

Cparker41

Cadet
No Title

Alright, I got a few pics on here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo256052.jpg
    photo256052.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256053.JPG
    photo256053.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256054.jpg
    photo256054.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256055.jpg
    photo256055.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256056.jpg
    photo256056.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256057.jpg
    photo256057.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256058.jpg
    photo256058.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256059.jpg
    photo256059.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256060.jpg
    photo256060.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256061.jpg
    photo256061.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256062.jpg
    photo256062.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256063.jpg
    photo256063.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256064.jpg
    photo256064.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256065.jpg
    photo256065.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256066.jpg
    photo256066.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0

Cparker41

Cadet
I'm in the process of getting the hull cleaned up and everything ground down smooth so I can begin the process of building it back. I do have a few questions for those that have been down this road before.
1. What type of wood do I need to use to cut my stringers out of?
2. As you can see in the pics, I left a couple of inches of the floor around the outside. Do I need to take it all the way out once I have the stringers in place? I figured I would need something to measure by anyway.
3. I am thinking I need 3/4 treated plywood for the floor. Is that right?
4. My gas tank was under my center console. I would like to put it under the floor. Is this a good idea? If so, is there anything I need to know before I do that.

Any advice or suggestions you may have would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yes, plywood to build the stringers and transom. Use exterior grade plywood not the treated stuff. You will be encapsulating the plywood in resin and fiberglass. You need to have a good bond to the plywood.

Fuel tank can go under the floor. Make sure it is supported on all sides with rubber strips, and you have drainage to the bilge for moisture underneath. Leave access for the sending unit, fill and vent hoses as well as the pickup/ anti-siphon valve.

You can't go wrong if you use the same thickness materials the factory did. Although moderate overkill is always acceptable. Lol.

Don't forget to read the many threads in the restoration stickies. Lots of good information there.

Great job thus far. Looking forward to updates. Keep the pics coming. 👍🏼

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Check the wood you left of the original floor. Poke the ...out of it for any rot. If any shows up dig it out and fill with new. Also if all goes well seal it up now on the raw edges asap so it doesn't get...... messed up as being exposed to the elements.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Check the wood you left of the original floor. Poke the ...out of it for any rot. If any shows up dig it out and fill with new. Also if all goes well seal it up now on the raw edges asap so it doesn't get...... messed up as being exposed to the elements.

Definitely agree. Treating all exposed wood edges with resin is a must. Exposed, meaning those pieces that are not fully encapsulated in glass. In the stickies an author mentions using a slow kicking resin for this so the resin has plenty of time to soak into the fibers. Good advice in my opinion.

Cparker41

Cadet
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Just so I'm understanding you right, when you said dig out all the rotten wood and fill with new. Are you saying that I need to leave the few inches of the floor that I left all the way around the walls of the hull and if there is any rotten wood under the fiber glass, I need to dig it out and replace it? I thought that I would be able to take that all the way out to the outside wall.
I also have a question about the transom. Where is the best place to cut the fiberglass away to inspect the transom?