Just picked up a 1969 Starcraft Holiday 18' (Image Heavy)

JaxMadine

Cadet
So I get the weirdest tips at work. one time it was a toilet, your usual baked goods, and the other day I got a boat.
This ones been sitting for two years with no cover, so I have my work cut out for me, but it is mostly complete. Albeit a little modified from what I have read about these things. Its my first I/O, so I have a steep learning curve there, but I was a mechanic for 13 years, so getting the motor running shouldn't be too hard. IF I can get it to turn over that is.
I have no idea where to get parts for something this old, but I do know how to at least fix this thing. Wish me luck! I'll post pictures as I work on it(which is limited to once a week)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to iboats and the Tin-sanity

Looks like a good start for a project, and NO white leg of death sticking out the back.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Nice hull. The windshield mod is weird. You should be able to adapt pretty much any 3 piece windshield from a junk boat to work. I did the same with my Starcraft Jupiter restore. You should be able to still get most parts for the Mercruiser although that block looks rough. Hopefully it isn't seized or cracked. Welcome to the Starmada!

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: to the tinsanity! Looks like you're well on your way. Tagging along if that's okay.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard Jax :wave:

Yeah the MC IO config does present a challenge, especially that version from the 60's. That's why I dumped mine in the scrap yard and updated to Alpha One.

Your hull looks to be in good shape but you'll really need to inspect the rib end for signs of cracking and do the hull repairs the right way with this vintage era SC to make her safe for the waves.

Good on ya for rescuing the old gal from her abandon. :thumb:

JaxMadine

Cadet
got sick, so its been awhile before I could work on the boat. Inspected the rib ends, and its good! So that makes the hull in good shape. Also inspected the carb, and it looks like the gas was drained before storage, so its in good shape.
The engine however will not move. This time I filled the cylinders to the top with penetration oil. If I cant get it to turn next week I am either going to have to look for a new motor, or sell the boat. I don't exactly have the facilities to pull the motor out of the hull. Even though I could pull the head and try harder.
Drained the oil as well, got about 2 quarts of water before getting the oil and of course sludge. Gotta love the humidity in florida.
Any ideas on how much and where to get a motor from? or should I just rebuild?

JaxMadine

Cadet
and I almost forgot! It has a new cap and rotor, and everything in the dizzy looks new. So, a little bit of good news.

Watermann

Yeah water in the motor is not a good thing and that much would have to come from either a cracked block, head or manifold issue not humidity. Any of which would pretty much leave you with a ruined the motor.

JaxMadine

Cadet
Well, I say humidity because it sat for so long uncovered. But it could be a bad motor.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Did it turn over by hand? Dont use the starter to begin , you can feel stiff spots. If its locked pull the plugs and use thin oil or diesel fuel to see if it will loosen it up. Good looking boat man.

JaxMadine

Cadet
Motor is still locked. I tried to put it in gear and use the prop bolt to help work it free, shift cable is stuck. Tried to free that up, it broke. Now im trying to take the outdrive off so I can replace the cable and try to get it to go into gear, and the damn thing will not come off to save my life. Doesn't hurt that I cant put it into forward to get it out proper. Any ideas to getting it off? Im about ready to just sell the damn thing.
I cut the shift fork off because it was hung up on that, but its still stuck. Is there something on the bottom holding it up maybe?

Watermann

Has the LU come off part way? The driveshaft might be rusted up in the gimbal bearing and coupler. Does the power tilt work?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Remove the starter and see if you can pry the old girl loose by the fly wheel. If not then decide if you want to pull the head to have a deeper look.