Cracked and soaked fiberglass motor mounts on Sea Ray 200cc

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

The first garbage patch was 550lbs. Not much left in the garage though. Some parts I left to get the measurements for the rebuild.

Gsxrdan indeed! I bought 150lbs of epoxy, lets see how far it lasts. I think i dont have enough now because I demolished the cabin too. We'll see!

Attachments

• photo256143.jpg
    photo256143.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256144.jpg
    photo256144.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Today I had some progress in the cabin. All the foam is gone now. Well at least 90% of it. Biggest plywood parts are gone too. Nice. I also removed the alu side strips from the rear and removed crappy silicone repairs made by the PO. Left side was leaking a bit water so I can water proof it (not with silicone!) at the same time.

Attachments

• photo256146.jpeg
    photo256146.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256147.jpeg
    photo256147.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256148.jpg
    photo256148.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256150.jpg
    photo256150.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I found one of these from online shop. Its for the angle grinder. Going to give it a try. It may be great for the dust control.

Attachments

• photo256190.jpeg
    photo256190.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Not sure what it costs, but I don't see it doing a lot of good. I don't think theres a shop vac on the planet can keep up with slicer discs, or grinding discs in fiberglass at 11,000 rpm. Besides I would think that attachment would really just be a nuisance. When I get ready to grind, I'll be pulling mine outside.....

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure what it costs, but I don't see it doing a lot of good. I don't think theres a shop vac on the planet can keep up with slicer discs, or grinding discs in fiberglass at 11,000 rpm. Besides I would think that attachment would really just be a nuisance. When I get ready to grind, I'll be pulling mine outside.....

I got to try that vac system. Pulling my boat is just not possible here in the winter.

Ill take a video to show how it works (or does not work). That attachment is designed for angle grinder when cutting concrete. Lets see how it works. I keep my hopes up.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd be interested to hear how it works, not just in the sense of sucking up the dust, but also in terms of what it does to your ability to grind. I found that after about 20-30 minutes of grinding, it was very fatiguing to hold the grinder in one orientation, so I changed my grip, etc., frequently. I don't think having an extra hose and gear hooked up to the grinder will make your task much easier. If it were me, I'd be creating a tent with some plastic to confine the dust.

In any case, grinding is a drag, so I hope it goes quickly for you! Just be sure to use the PPE!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Might also want to put a drywall bag in the shop vac. Standard shop vac filters just let to much dust escape. It is also hard on the motor . A shop vac will not keep up with most grinders but they will keep up with a 6 to 8 inch da sander. 40 grit will do wonders. Also you can find some of them alreay fitted for a vacuum attachment.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Grinding sucks.....not like a vacuum.....like sucky. LOL. I know when I'm grinding, most of the grindings are directed out of the path of the guard since the guard only covers less than 180 degrees of the wheel. It will be interesting to see how it works. Looking forward to your updates. I'm lucky that we have weather I can pull the boat outside the garage. Right now its in the upper 30's to low 40's. I definitely want to wash the whole interior out when I'm done, before I pull it back in. Draging fiberglass dust into the house does not make the Admiral happy...AT ALL!!! :rant:

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not using regular household vacs. These are for construction work. They should be fine. It's always a compromise because if the filter is very thich, it will get plugged quickly. Im making a tent over the boat, not sure how it will work out. I guess I just place it on the boat and then put some kind of "mast" on the middle to get the correct height. Ill show you later :laugh:

I bought 10pcs of grit 40 discs to start with. I hope I can do the whole grinding work in one weekend. Lets see how it works out because I work inside, I might be too optimistic.

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Looks like you and I are at the same exact stage in our projects. Who can get their grinding done first??? LOL. :first:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Filter will not stop up with a drywall bag. It is the filter. It slipps over the hose in the vacume tank. Made to keep drywall dust in and it's amazing on fiberglass dust as well. They are avalible at most hardware stores. Sanded my 43 ft houseboat deck on the water with one bag and could have done two more without filling it up.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Filter will not stop up with a drywall bag. It is the filter. It slipps over the hose in the vacume tank. Made to keep drywall dust in and it's amazing on fiberglass dust as well. They are avalible at most hardware stores. Sanded my 43 ft houseboat deck on the water with one bag and could have done two more without filling it up.

Agree. My shopvac has a bag in it now and a hepa filter cartridge. The cartridge filter barely gets dirty. Works well on glass dust.

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Nearly ready for grinding. Woohoo!

Attachments

• photo256334.jpg
    photo256334.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

The boaty is now ready for grinding. Its also 100% rot free. Im waiting the vac attachment to my angle grinder (via mail). After that and some shopping Im going to start grinding.

My wife said my skin smells bad, even after shower. Hah!

Ps. This is hard work with all the gear on! I cant wait that the boat is ready, sun is shining and Im sitting on that boat cold beer on my hand!!!

Attachments

• photo256362.jpg
    photo256362.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256363.jpg
    photo256363.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
you know whats funny, don't ever eat a ton of garlic and get in one of them suits rofl I found out the hard way that anything you eat seems to gass off from your pores lol same with drinking I guess.:)

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
you know whats funny, don't ever eat a ton of garlic and get in one of them suits rofl I found out the hard way that anything you eat seems to gass off from your pores lol same with drinking I guess.:)

Hahaha. Noted! I try to remember that :-D