Cracked and soaked fiberglass motor mounts on Sea Ray 200cc

harleyman1975

Ensign
Polyester Resin does not give of any fumes that I would consider toxic (I like the smell myself). Your biggest enemy is going to be the dust from grinding.

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ordered the items now. Grinding should be ready before January. I have to work long shifts for 3 weeks so I can only think about the project during that period... Enjoy your fumes Harley heh

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
Allright, done with the long shifts. I had 3 hours today and I removed the alpha one transom, power steering, placed all the bolts and nuts to boxes and then marked them. After that I continued the demolition. I still have to open the transom, small parts from the front and the I have to finish the edges. After that Im ready to grind. Tomorrow I will clean the hull and then continue to transom. Slowly but surely eh. So far I got 11x 200 lites (11x 50 gallons) plastic bags full of garbage...

I found out that there was more plywood underneath the right backseat. It was not attached to hull, glassed or anything. It was just left there. I couldnt see any fiberglass, resin, screws or anything. I was between two foam layers. Good thing was that it was very easy to remove.

The plywood of the transom is also amazing. Its just plain plywood underneath the contained space underneath both of the backseats. No glass on it or anything.

Oh yes and I received all the glassing supplies yesterday. Phew, that was a lot.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Each project you complete means you're one step closer to the Water!!!:thumb:

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
Indeed!

I had great progress today. Transom is ready for grinding and the whole rear section actually.

I still have some cutting to do on the sides and on the front. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the cabin. I have to do some test drilling and see if I can find water. If not, I will not go much further if I can open the floor without touching the cabin's structure. I posted one pic of the cabin as well. The foam on the sides is in great shape, no water or rot whatsoever. However, the cabin floor was completely rotten and wet, so I have to go further and see where it stops. Most likely I have to open the cabin completely as well. At least I'm prepping my self to that "project" as well :D

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didnt find rot or water from the cabin. I will cut it out anyway. Im happier on the lake as I know that everything is in 100% good condition. Its also easier to make the whole deck waterproof this way.

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks jbcurt00. Will do. The limit is just a bit annoying because Im uploading from my phone and I cant resize the pics with it. Ill try to shrink the pics with my pc later on.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I post all of the pictures from my project from my iphone. I use an image Resizer I downloaded from the App Store. I usually downsize the image to 1900 x 1400. I don't access a PC very often so I don't imbed the images in my thread. PC is so yesterday!!! Lol.

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
I post all of the pictures from my project from my iphone. I use an image Resizer I downloaded from the App Store. I usually downsize the image to 1900 x 1400. I don't access a PC very often so I don't imbed the images in my thread. PC is so yesterday!!! Lol.

Exactly! Thanks for the tip!

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

This is where I am at the moment. I need to make room to my garage tomorrow when the recycle site is open.

My grinding plan:

PPE's
Tyvek suit
Nylon gloves (long model)
Full facepiece respirator (I hope to get the motored model from work for loan for 2 days)
Ear pieces

Dust handling:
I build up a tent over the boat.
2 vacuum cleaners. 1 is sucking the dust straight from the grinder, another makes vacuum into the "tent" -> all the air is going through the filter in the vacuum cleaner -> less dust in the garage (thats the theory at least).

Im going to grind everything out straight ahead (Im not leaving lips or anything). Grinding inside the garage is not optimal. There is risk of dust explosion and another thing is the chemical hazard. I'm leaving the most nasty stuff to spring (2 component paint) so I can keep the garage door open.

The nice thing is that I can control the temperature in the garage (45 F to 75 F).

Attachments

• photo256104.jpg
    photo256104.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256106.jpg
    photo256106.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256107.jpg
    photo256107.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256108.jpg
    photo256108.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Nice man!!! Glad you put pics on here. You'll definitely get more viewership loving now.

Your progress is good and I like your ideas for dust remediation. I too am working in a garage so on the plus side it is climate controlled, minus side is the garage is attached to the house. Poly-resin is nasty smelling stuff and I will be doing layups in the winter. So I'll be doing trial and error on a ventilation system that can get rid of resin fumes while it is kicking off.

ripazka

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice man!!! Glad you put pics on here. You'll definitely get more viewership loving now.

Your progress is good and I like your ideas for dust remediation. I too am working in a garage so on the plus side it is climate controlled, minus side is the garage is attached to the house. Poly-resin is nasty smelling stuff and I will be doing layups in the winter. So I'll be doing trial and error on a ventilation system that can get rid of resin fumes while it is kicking off.

Im going to follow your thread, its very interesting. Im curious how your project proceeds inside the garage (my garage is attached to my house as well). Is it cold out there during the winter? I chose epoxy because I was too concerned about the vapors from poly and I've used to work with epoxy. I guess I try to make new dashboard with poly resin, just to get familiar with it. My old dash is made from fake leather (which is worn) and I would like to get nice smooth plastic dash. I think I dont have time for the dash at the moment, but I will do it later on.

I had a big surprise when I started to open the deck. In summer I thought that only the motor mounts were rotten but when I started to dig deeper and I found out completely rotten deck, stringers and transom. I guess you know the situation too hah.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Those pics remind me of when i did my Bayliner. Engine mounts are fine, no they aren't. Transome is good, nope its rotten. Had to replace every stick of wood in it. Still have it and enjoy it and the feeling of driving a boat I built. Will keep an eye on this build for sure.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My garage stays pretty decent. I'm going to use poly because I'm pretty familiar with it. I did a bayliner a few years ago that turned out great. The poly stinks but I'm hoping I can do some venting to mitigate the fumes. The poly is also way cheaper. I can get 5 gallons for lass than $170.

You mentioned a dashboard. I used a piece of lexan for my bayliner. I painted the bottom side of the lexan navy blue so the top surface is durable and the color is all the way through. My dash was a flat panel, so this worked well for me. 5 years later it still looked great when I sold the boat.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
nice start buddy, good luck with it!
looks like a lot of epoxy will be needed, jmho poly is easy peasy to learn... :joyous: