Kansas City PM38 Build [Splashed 2017]

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, drain plug question ............... Do I need one? I read a little bit about Invasive Species Inspections and some states requiring a boat inspection at the state lines before entering that state. Currently my boat doesn't have a drain plug, do I need to add one or am I good as long as the boat is dry?

Pek, I just did some light sanding on the motor. If it all checks out good, I may repaint and decal it over the winter. Being this is a used motor that I have never had in the water, I want to make sure its good before putting more effort into it.

Scott

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is your plan for getting rid of rain water and any spray that winds up in the boat? I'm on about my tenth watercraft and have never had anything larger than a canoe without a drain plug. And, I've only dropped one in the water once without the plug installed, my 1974 jonboat that I still have on it's second transom and almost ready for the third. I recommend installing the drain plug in question.
Cheers

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have any in mine but I have pondered it. The problem I have is where I would place it. With all the battens and the keelson on the bottom, it seems water would get trapped no matter where I'd place it. I'd also like to have a bilge pump but I have the same problem there... I keep the boat in the garage for now so it is protected when I don't use it. I'm not planning on being on the lake in rain but that doesn't mean I couldn't get caught in a surprise rain shower at some point. :lol: For now I am using a sponge or towel to soak up any water but I'd like a better long-term solution as well. Although given the design I guess some water will need to be removed manually.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I think I would have both the drain and a bilge pump, even if they don't get all the water out. Water will get in one way or another!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Do you trailer you boat to the water? If so, you will one day be caught in a rain storm going one way or the other. And without any method of removing the water, the hull will get heavier as you drive along. Water gets heavy really quickly. JMHO

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the replies, I was kind of thinking the same thing, I probably should add one.

Pek, I am trying to figure out the same thing, where to put it ........... There is a lot going on at the transom and no one place water would collect. I did think of adding a bilge pump and left a gap in the aft floor section to place one, but it would still only get one of the sections back there.

I did a little looking at other PM-38's on the web and didn't find a a single one with a drain plug I could see, a few did mention bilge pumps. I'll have to look at different style drains and see if I can find one that would work.

Scott

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at different drain plugs that might work and not coming up with a real good option. If I went with the plastic Moeller type, it would be easy to install, has a thru tube the goes all the way through the transom but would end up 1" or higher from the bottom of the boat so it wouldn't drain it all out. The other option I am seeing is the brass drain tube with rubber plug. If was to put this at the bottom of the transom, the angle of the transom and hull bottom wouldn't allow me to get in there very well with a flaring tool ..... Can the brass tube be sealed in the transom without flaring? ................ Any other option I am missing?

Scott

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would try to put one on each side of the keelson as low as you can manage. I'm planning a build of a Spira Galveston that also has a keelson and my intention is to put one on each side.
Cheers

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I'm going to have to ponder this as well. I'd prefer to have something back by the transom and the idea of having one on either side of the keelson seems like a good one. Might have to swing for two bilge pumps like that too. I was looking at the plastic ones like you did Scott and I came to the same conclusion you did. I guess it could be possible to cut off a bit of the flanges so they can be placed closer to the bottom both on the inside and the outside. But those brass tubes would probably work better. I have to add this to the list of add-on projects for the boat...

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would try to put one on each side of the keelson as low as you can manage. I'm planning a build of a Spira Galveston that also has a keelson and my intention is to put one on each side.
Cheers

I like that idea! Just ordered 2 drain tubes and 3 plugs (spare one just incase). I also have the bilge pump on the way. Currently, I am still in Virginia Beach, but should be heading back home in the next few days and hoping to get some more work done on the boat next week. There is a bunch of little stuff to take care of before taking the boat in for inspection, still hoping to hit the water late August or early September.

Scott

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alright, got the drain tubes and bilge pump installed, everything came out good. I couldn't get the drain tubes directly on the bottom due to the transom design, but they are as low as I could get, should still work pretty good.

That wraps up the last few items I was going to address, the boat itself is ready to hit the water! Hoping to get a boat inspection sometime next week so I can get the registration going.

So when will it hit the water ............. Looks like it might be a little while still. I got the boat out of the shop to run the outboard and make sure everything was good ............. Well, it's not :blue: At first the motor wouldn't start at all, I tore the carb apart again and reassembled, then it would want to start, but not stay running. Currently, the only way I can get it to start is with the enrichment valve open. Guessing it could still be a carb issue, but could also be a case leak or reed valves. Going to have to tear it apart and see what I can find.

Scott

Willyclay

Captain
Going to have to tear it apart and see what I can find. Scott

Oh no, say it isn't so! I was all set to hear about the splash. Before you tear into that beauty, let the members on the Mercury forum help you. In my experience, it is usually something simple that does NOT require a complete teardown. Troubleshooting is a challenge even for the pros with computers because all they do is replace parts these days. Hang in there, I know you can whip it!

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh no, say it isn't so! I was all set to hear about the splash. Before you tear into that beauty, let the members on the Mercury forum help you. In my experience, it is usually something simple that does NOT require a complete teardown. Troubleshooting is a challenge even for the pros with computers because all they do is replace parts these days. Hang in there, I know you can whip it!

Made some progress on the outboard, now just waiting for parts. I took the carb back off and dug a little deeper. The reed cage gaskets were shot and there was evidence of a decent size leak. Then I decided to go back to the basics and broke down the carb. Last time I looked at it, I didn't completely disassemble it, I cleaned it up and replaced the fuel pump gaskets. This time I completely disassembled it and the problem was clear as day, the main jet was missing :faint2: My best guess, the previous owner thought it was a fuel bowl drain and used a 3/8 bolt to plug it. It had a 1" long bolt stuck in it.

At that point I had 2 problems, first, I am of course without a jet and second, the jet passage is now threaded by the bolt that was screwed into it. I did some searching online and quickly found that the jet is obsolete :blue: and so is the fuel bowl. A little more looking and I found a complete carb on eBay :D It's on it's way and should be here next week. Even better, the replacement carb comes complete with electric choke! In the end I should be fixing my problem and upgrading the choke.

Once the carb gets here, the plan is to disassemble it and build a new carb using the best parts of each.

Scott

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I'm glad to hear you figured out the issue! I bought a dirt bike one time, ran great when wide open, and like crap when it wasn't. Took the carb apart, no metering rod......10$ later I had a great dirt bike! Funny how if people can screw up a carb!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Made some progress on the outboard, now just waiting for parts. I took the carb back off and dug a little deeper. The reed cage gaskets were shot and there was evidence of a decent size leak. Then I decided to go back to the basics and broke down the carb. Last time I looked at it, I didn't completely disassemble it, I cleaned it up and replaced the fuel pump gaskets. This time I completely disassembled it and the problem was clear as day, the main jet was missing :faint2: My best guess, the previous owner thought it was a fuel bowl drain and used a 3/8 bolt to plug it. It had a 1" long bolt stuck in it.

At that point I had 2 problems, first, I am of course without a jet and second, the jet passage is now threaded by the bolt that was screwed into it. I did some searching online and quickly found that the jet is obsolete :blue: and so is the fuel bowl. A little more looking and I found a complete carb on eBay :D It's on it's way and should be here next week. Even better, the replacement carb comes complete with electric choke! In the end I should be fixing my problem and upgrading the choke.

Once the carb gets here, the plan is to disassemble it and build a new carb using the best parts of each.

Scott

You just posted the absolute best reason to DISASSEMBLE every carb you are wanting to clean up to use. And that goes double sure for any engine that some one else owned. You have no idea that a PO did to anything.

Glad you located that problem and have a viable solution worked out. :thumb:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Most excellent investigating! Looks like you got your man!
images

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
More progress! I got the boat inspected and all my paperwork submitted, so now waiting on Missouri to issue me a hull ID number. Once I have the id plate installed, I can run to dmv and get it registered.

Received the carb I ordered and it's in better shape than the one I had on the motor. Going through it now, so far it looks really clean and even has a main jet installed :lol: This carb also came with the electric choke so I get an upgrade! Hoping to have it installed on the motor Saturday. If everything goes good, the boat will be ready for the water by the time I have the registration.

A few minor bumps in the road, but still getting closer to the splash.

Scott

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
More progress! I got the boat inspected and all my paperwork submitted, so now waiting on Missouri to issue me a hull ID number. Once I have the id plate installed, I can run to dmv and get it registered.

Received the carb I ordered and it's in better shape than the one I had on the motor. Going through it now, so far it looks really clean and even has a main jet installed :lol: This carb also came with the electric choke so I get an upgrade! Hoping to have it installed on the motor Saturday. If everything goes good, the boat will be ready for the water by the time I have the registration.

A few minor bumps in the road, but still getting closer to the splash.

Scott

That is awesome! Glad to hear you are getting close to your splash! So in Missouri the DMV registers boats? Here in Georgia the DNR handles that so I got my HIN and registration number at the same time. Interesting how the different states do things differently. Did an officer actually come and look at your boat? For mine he opted to just do it over the phone. Guess I sounded trustworthy or something. :lol:

I bet you got one of the carbs I was watching on eBay. :) I wasn't going to buy one, I was just curious to see what was out there. I'm glad to see they pop up there from time to time in case I'll need a new one at some point. Would you mind taking a couple of pictures of the electric choke setup on yours? I can't seem to get mine working right so I'm curious to see what yours looks like. Perhaps I can get some clues from looking at it. The enrichment valve on mine tends to stick in open position so for now I have removed the solenoid and arm that triggers it and just use the choke knob on the motor. I'm hoping a good cleaning when I decide to take the carb apart will help.