Kansas City PM38 Build [Splashed 2017]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
SGoergen, oh yea, that domino effect. You have to do this, so you can then do that. And to do this, you have to do this other thing first. I do know that feeling. I call it the "Domino Effect". However, you have everything under control it seems. Three projects at once is pushing the spare time, but if you can keep up the various work, go for it. Just don't burn out!

I hear you about seeing things once you applied the primer coat. And because you can see these things is the exact reason to make certain you finish the prep work like you want. Because by now I think you know that anything you can see in the primer, will absolutely show up in the paint finish! So don't think for even a second that paint covers up imperfections...if doesn't. If fact it seem to amplify them. So work accordingly with the prep work.

I didn't build my trailer from scratch. But It did come pretty close with disassembling the old parts and rebuilding with new metals and fenders. So I know what you are going through with the trailer as well. But having the ability to build your own things, is nice. You can build your trailer to however you like. It is yours.

Keep up the great work, but you need to take a break and breath for a while also. JMHO :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Have you thought about steps on the side of the trailer? I always seem to add them to mine, it does make it nice for getting in and out of the boat. Especially for maintenance.

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all the comments!

Been following along on the build.
I like the Garage. Been thinking of building one myself. What height is the ceiling and doors?
Are you thinking of a concrete floor in the future?

The main door is 10x11 and the side door is 7x8. Hoping to get the doors on this weekend. The ceiling in the center bay is 13', sides start at 9' and go up to 12. Gravel floor for now, with hopes of putting in a concrete floor sometime in the future.

SGoergen, oh yea, that domino effect. You have to do this, so you can then do that. And to do this, you have to do this other thing first. I do know that feeling. I call it the "Domino Effect". However, you have everything under control it seems. Three projects at once is pushing the spare time, but if you can keep up the various work, go for it. Just don't burn out!

I hear you about seeing things once you applied the primer coat. And because you can see these things is the exact reason to make certain you finish the prep work like you want. Because by now I think you know that anything you can see in the primer, will absolutely show up in the paint finish! So don't think for even a second that paint covers up imperfections...if doesn't. If fact it seem to amplify them. So work accordingly with the prep work.

I didn't build my trailer from scratch. But It did come pretty close with disassembling the old parts and rebuilding with new metals and fenders. So I know what you are going through with the trailer as well. But having the ability to build your own things, is nice. You can build your trailer to however you like. It is yours.

Keep up the great work, but you need to take a break and breath for a while also. JMHO :thumb:

Nature is giving me breaks! Its been raining pretty good here over the past weekend, everything is a muddy mess, so I get to work in the garage on the outboard for a while :D So far I have the water pump impeller replaced, electric parts added (started, relay and regulator) and re-wired the engine. I have also cleaned all the decals off the cowl and started prepping for new paint.

Have you thought about steps on the side of the trailer? I always seem to add them to mine, it does make it nice for getting in and out of the boat. Especially for maintenance.

Steps would be a good idea, I really didn't think of how I was going to get in the boat when its on the trailer.

Scott

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

The new shop is all done for now! I still have some minor things to do but it is now a usable building.

Since the shop is completed, I can switch back to boat stuff :joyous: I need to get the boat out of the basement and moved over to the shop for painting ..... that would require the trailer being able to transport the boat. The frame looked a little off to me, I decided to shorten it a little bit to keep weight on the tongue when the boat was on it. 12" was chopped off the back and a new rear cross member was welded in place. Fender mounting tabs were also installed, it really looked better after the adjustment to the frame length. Then, I welded tabs on the frame to hold the bunks and built some 6' bunks to support the boat. I didn't get a picture of the bunks, but they are covered in gray out door carpet from Home Depot.

Scott

Attachments

• photo266151.jpg
    photo266151.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266152.jpg
    photo266152.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266153.jpg
    photo266153.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 0

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Now that the trailer is ready to move the boat to the shop, its time for the boat to come out of the basement :D Luckily its a walk-out basement, that leads to the garage. The process was pretty simple, lift the boat, rotate it on it's side and carry it out the door, through the garage and put it on the trailer in the driveway. Of course, I called some friends for assistance! It went really smooth and now the boat has been moved to the barn!

Now the plan is to work on the trailer a little, I need to get the winch post built, install some guide bunks and center roller. Basically make the trailer fit the boat. Once that is done, I can lift the boat off the trailer, paint the boat and paint the trailer.

Scott

Attachments

• photo266154.jpg
    photo266154.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266155.jpg
    photo266155.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266156.jpg
    photo266156.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266157.jpg
    photo266157.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266158.jpg
    photo266158.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266159.jpg
    photo266159.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266160.jpg
    photo266160.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 0

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am starting to plan (in my head) for the guide bunks near the back of the trailer. How should I set the width of these bunks? The boat is wider in the center then it is at the transom, so if I set the width to the widest point of the boat, it would be very wide at the transom and not really help to center the boat on the trailer.. My initial thought is keep the guide bunks low and have about 1 1/2" clearance from the hull on each side. When launching, the hope would be the boat floating out of the guides and when loading the boat would fall into the guides as it is pulled out of the water .............. Maybe? Or should I make the mounts from strap steel so they will flex a little when loading?

Another thought would be to place the guide bunks at the widest point of the hull.

Scott

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, if your doorway was even a little bit narrower, you would have had a permanent fixture in the basement.

Trailer looks nice as well. You could add on some nice steps on the setup so easily at this time. Take a look at how I did that on my trailer rebuilt. And you could even get some ideas about bunk placement as well.

My boat project is a tri-hull and therefore I used four bunks to hold the hull on the trailer. I also added side bunks to help center the boat when loading. So take a look and see if you can come up with new ideas to fit your hull on the trailer. No two trailers are exactly alike. But you can taller yours just for your boat.

And your new shop looks very nice as well. You will love having a place you can close the door and walk away when you are tired working on things. :thumb:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The barn looks nice. I have added steps to both boat trailers I have have restored. It sure makes loading and unloading the boat easy. Looks like you just took one big step closer to getting it splashed!

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Ok, Ok, I give up :lol: Here you go, I framed up the left side steps today! :joyous:

Attachments

• photo266512.jpg
    photo266512.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 0

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Got something really cool in the mail today, a copy of Popular Mechanics August 1962 :) It has the original article on how to build the PM-38 and is much easier to read than the photo copy. I figured since I built the boat, I should have a copy to go with it.

Scott

Attachments

• photo266513.jpg
    photo266513.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266514.jpg
    photo266514.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Very cool, I remember getting popular mechanics and looking all the cool plans when I was a kid. That was always exciting too me. I think today's kids are missing out on a lot of fun and learning...things like that really shape who you are. I have really enjoyed your build by the way, what a fun project!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
That is a nice looking issue you got. I did the same thing but mine has a little bit of wear on it. Still a nice thing to have since we're building that boat. You are making great progress. Can't wait to see it finished. Your trailer is turning out nicely too!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ok, Ok, I give up :lol: Here you go, I framed up the left side steps today! :joyous:

Very nice. That is exactly how I did mine. You will thank yourself over and over as you use them. It also makes a simple trailer look more expensive. And, well, it should be as well, because it takes more metal and work. So you just upgrade your trailer to another level. :thumb: :thumb:

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Very cool, I remember getting popular mechanics and looking all the cool plans when I was a kid. That was always exciting too me. I think today's kids are missing out on a lot of fun and learning...things like that really shape who you are. I have really enjoyed your build by the way, what a fun project!

My dad used to have a subscription when I was a kid, I used to flip through them all the time and think of all the cool things I could build. My grandfather actually had one of the Struck bulldozer kits that used to be advertised in the back of the magazine! Thanks for the comments on the project, it's been a really fun build so far and I have learned alot from it.

That is a nice looking issue you got. I did the same thing but mine has a little bit of wear on it. Still a nice thing to have since we're building that boat. You are making great progress. Can't wait to see it finished. Your trailer is turning out nicely too!

I bought it off of ebay, it was one of the nicer ones I found, it's going to be a good talking piece. I am at the point right now, that I know I am getting close but there still seems to be so many little things that need done. Hoping to paint something in the next week or so ............. don't know if it will be the boat or the trailer, but something is going to get painted! :)

Very nice. That is exactly how I did mine. You will thank yourself over and over as you use them. It also makes a simple trailer look more expensive. And, well, it should be as well, because it takes more metal and work. So you just upgrade your trailer to another level. :thumb: :thumb

I read through your trailer thread and it looked like a pretty good way to add some steps. I am planning on light gauge tread plate steel for the tops of the steps, it should look pretty nice once it's painted. I still have some finish welding and a little grinding/shaping to do, but its getting close.

Scott

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

It's been a couple of weeks, but I am making some progress. The boat trailer welding and painting is complete. I still need to finish the lights and install the bunks, but that stuff will go fairly quick. I really like the way it came out and the steps should be really useful, thanks for the suggestion :)

Scott

Attachments

• photo268632.jpg
    photo268632.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268633.jpg
    photo268633.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268634.jpg
    photo268634.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 0

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

With the trailer nearing completion, it was time to start working on the boat. The first step was to give the whole thing a white base coat, I used Rustoleum with hardener added (Thanks for the link Woodonglass!). After the white base was dry, I masked it off to paint the bottom a smoke gray. I went back after the gray was dry and did a second coat of white on the sides. The bottom came out pretty good, good enough it's time to flip it over and start working on the top side.

Scott

Attachments

• photo268639.jpg
    photo268639.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268640.jpg
    photo268640.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268641.jpg
    photo268641.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268642.jpg
    photo268642.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
SGoergen, you have my total respect for both a great looking trailer and a very well painter hull. I do like how your project is coming out. Your attention to detail shows. :thumb:

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow, really nice! She looks fast even upside down! Keep up the good work! :D

Frey