paint over anti-slip molded gelcoat ?

MattCat

Cadet
Is there method or product to apply paint that can preserve the molded anti-slip pattern in gelcoat?
Would love to keep the floor as original as possible, but I've had to strip three layers of paint and primer and now new paint is needed to cover all the tiny remnants of primer.
My inclination is that one or two coats will fill the original pattern, but just hoping my intuition is wrong and I won't need to go with an anti-slip additive in the paint.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Are you going back with paint or Gel Coat? If paint, depending how deep the anti-skid pattern is, you won't cover over it. But you could cover it up with Gel Coat. Without seeing the pattern, that is only a pure wild ask guess (family friendly saying). JMHO

MattCat

Cadet
Or...You could re-coat with gelcoat and use this...http://gibcoflexmold.com/

Thanks Wood, I've looked into those and there appears to be too many hurdles to jump to make them practical - - Can't find the original authentic pattern, extensive prep, cost of large enough material, difficulty in correctly doing the large surface with hull contours, etc etc.

gm280 said:
Are you going back with paint or Gel Coat? If paint, depending how deep the anti-skid pattern is, you won't cover over it. But you could cover it up with Gel Coat. Without seeing the pattern, that is only a pure wild ask guess (family friendly saying). JMHO

When I bought the boat last July, it had been painted. Where it looked like one coat of finish (maybe two) the pattern was still present. Where there was a primer, a gray coat (or two) and the finish beige coat(s), there was no pattern. VERY slick and shiny.

I'm trying to figure out how best to coat it with paint so that the orig pattern won't be lost. I wouldn't know how to measure the pattern to relate how deep it is.

I don' know, would a pic help?
FloorPattern.jpg

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If that is the pattern you are talking about with the dine, You could cover over it pretty well with paint also. It really depends on how many coats and the application techniques used. You would still be able to see the pattern, but the pattern effect (non-skid) would not be working anymore. JMHO

MattCat

Cadet
If that is the pattern you are talking about with the dine, You could cover over it pretty well with paint also. It really depends on how many coats and the application techniques used. You would still be able to see the pattern, but the pattern effect (non-skid) would not be working anymore. JMHO

That's what I am guessing, it will show, but not very effective. But it may be moot.Today I performed some initial "digging" at some spider cracks and what looked like fiberglass cracks. One area was what appeared to be a crack in the fiberglass where the floor meets the seat riser. I chiseled and Dremeled, and sure enough, that intersection needs some fiberglass reinforcement. The other spider cracks are just gel coat cracks. But after repairs, unless I use the pattern mold mats and gelcoat, there will be lots of little areas without pattern. Think I'll go with paint and the anti-slip additive.

Had a nice chat with tech help at Jamestown Distrib about appropriate coatings and procedures. Now I just gotta find a warm garage for the winter :eek: :blue: :lol: