My first boat restoration

RCNelson

Cadet
Hi all. I'm new here and this is my first time posting.I have owned a few boats in my life, but have purchased the all new from a dealer. My 7 year old grandson has become interested in fishing and we have grown tired of fishing from the shore, so off I went to look for a cheap fishing boat. I found a 1986 17 foot Cavalier Sunray open bow with a 1973 50 HP Evinrude two stroke for $1500. The boat was made by Princefib in Quebec and the hull seems very sturdy. The boat is in reasonable shape but there was a soft spot in the deck between the consoles. Once I lifted the carpet I found that the deck from the consoles back had previously been replaced with 3/8" treated plywood. The bow benches were pretty much rotten, so I took them out and removed the front of the deck as far back as the treated plywood. You guessed it, the stringer are rotten. The fellow who replaced the rear deck had sandwiched the rotten dagger stringer with a couple of treated 2" X 6" boards. So far, I have removed the deck completely. I plan on replacing the stringers, but first, I must replace the transom. I'm sure there will be more post to come on this project. I have found a lot of very helpful information on this already and plan on picking a few brains as the project goes on. This is my first time boat restoring. $_27.JPG
$_27 (1).JPG

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Discuss it and your concerns about water logged foam here. No need to run a new topic about foam.

Its a 30yr old boat. A poor repair and deck over certainly didnt help....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The 3rd DIY sticky has links in it. Read links 14, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in that order. It will give you most of the information needed for your restoration

RCNelson

Cadet
The 3rd DIY sticky has links in it. Read links 14, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in that order. It will give you most of the information needed for your restoration

Thanks Scott. I will check it out. I need all the help I can get.
I have watched quite a few of Frisco's YouTube videos and have learned a lot form them!
Great info in the amount of resin required as I had no idea what I would need and probably would have run short.
I try to grind fiberglass only outside if I can. If I have to do it in the shop, I have a 4" dust collection system that I use.
I dress like this when grinding fiberglass!
20161022_160435.jpg

Last edited:

jeff_nerdin

Cadet
Hey RC - It sounds like we're in the "same boat." My brother and I just purchased an only slightly larger (22') boat in similar condition and we're planning to do a similar overhaul. Perhaps we can share insights in as we go. I've learned a lot watching videos posted by Archbuilder and ArkansasTrav1. You can see a few videos attached to my post. I'll follow your progress. Good luck. - Jeff

Scott Danforth

Staff member
who ever did the hack job of a floor over did not do you any favors. the floor is always the last thing to rot after the stringers and transom.

RCNelson

Cadet
Hey RC - It sounds like we're in the "same boat." My brother and I just purchased an only slightly larger (22') boat in similar condition and we're planning to do a similar overhaul. Perhaps we can share insights in as we go. I've learned a lot watching videos posted by Archbuilder and ArkansasTrav1. You can see a few videos attached to my post. I'll follow your progress. Good luck. - Jeff

That sounds great Jeff. I am like my water soaked foam right now, just soaking up all the info I can on boat restorations. I am having a great time with doing it too. It goes a lot quicker than car restoration!

RCNelson

Cadet
who ever did the hack job of a floor over did not do you any favors. the floor is always the last thing to rot after the stringers and transom.

I agree Scott! Although his hack job is going to allow me to learn a whole bunch of new stuff and wind up with a good solid boat in the end.
Big problem now is, I have reached the transom and it doesn't look good. I was hoping I wouldn't have to tackle replace the transom, but I think I will have too. It is solid, but it is wet. I would like to try replacing it without removing the cap. Is that possible?
I have attached a pic of the stern, show the low spot in front of the transom. I would have to try to tuck a new transom behind it.

Bateau-Sunray-Cavalier-et-remorque (1).jpg

Last edited:

RCNelson

Cadet

The worst thing about his hack job was he used PL to attach the deck to the stringers. I had to cut the deck right next to each side of all three stringers with my circular saw to be able to remove the deck. Separating the deck from the PL was almost impossible, it was rip and break and tear.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you will need to undeck to get to the transom. while that alone seams daunting, it is actually easy. get a few people over for pizza and promise of beer when done. or use a dozen ratchet straps and the ceiling rafters and you can do it by yourself in about an hour

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
If you have watched FriscoBoater's vids, then you will be able to restore that boat like a pro. I remember my first restore and watched hours upon hours of his vids every night before tackling the project. Is that 50 horse electric shift?

Two cherry pickers work great for lifting the cap if needed

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You don't HAVE to decapitate her. There are other methods but...since you'll be doing a total restore I'd agree with Scott and prolly go ahead and take it off. It's not that bad.

RCNelson

Cadet
If you have watched FriscoBoater's vids, then you will be able to restore that boat like a pro. I remember my first restore and watched hours upon hours of his vids every night before tackling the project. Is that 50 horse electric shift?

Two cherry pickers work great for lifting the cap if needed

Thanks for the input STB. I have watched a bunch of Frisco's videos, along with a whole bunch of others. I don't think it's an electric shift. All I know is that is runs well, has 145 pounds compression on both cylinders and is a 1973 Evinrude Lark 50 HP number 50373R. I'm still learning about it. I know it has a remote control nearly as big as the boat, and uglier.

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nice boat, I'm also doing my first rebuild and am learning some new things and having a blast doing it. Removing the cap will make the transom replacement so much easier and its not hard to do, just remember to support the sides of the hull before lifting it. I did mine by myself and slid it forward to replace the transom then set it back on while I replace the stringers and floor because I don't have any place to set it. Be careful when lifting the cap and support it as much as you can so it doesn't crack. Also measure the angle of the transom so the cap fits right at the rear if it looks like it has distorted the fiberglass, especially at the splash well. When I cut the glass at the rear of the cap on my 15' the transom sagged backwards a little and I had to jig it to hold it forward when I tabbed it in, but my transom was completely shot...... just keep smiling.