Abrading "rough-uneven" surface

MattCat

Cadet
The centerboard trunk in my Sandpiper (15' Marshall Cat) has an uneven "wavy" surface. It's not rough like an Thomas English Muffin with sharp peaks, nooks, & crannies, but rough with softer highs and lows as if the surface were laid on by hand and not troweled smooth.

Here are some pix of both sides

. CntBrdTrnk-Prt.jpg

CntrBrdTrnk-Star.jpg

The lower pic is after considerable sanding with 60 grit loaded onto my 1/2 sheet finish sander plus a lot of hand sanding. There are still some glossy low points.

The top pic was soon after I realized I need some suggestions as to how to abrade the low points to guarantee good adhesion.

As much as I would prefer a perfect smooth surface, I think that ship sailed long ago.

NO, I do not have access to a bead (or sand) blaster.

I do have course scrub pads, wire brushes (both hand and drill driven), sand paper, etc. I can always get some bronze wool. I could fetch some beach sand and impregnate a scrub pad with it. If anyone thinks those ideas would work.

Yes I could strip, and prolly should have at the beginning, but now my stubbornness is getting the better of me <grin> Also, I am not adverse to smoothing out the surface a tad.

I am open to all ideas, proved or theoretical.

And yes, I have considered sheathing the trunk in teak . . . . .

Attachments

• CntBrdTrnk-Prt.jpg
    CntBrdTrnk-Prt.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CntrBrdTrnk-Star.jpg
    CntrBrdTrnk-Star.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You should keep all this in the other thread, it makes it much easier to follow.