Gel coat or paint?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
House of Kolor has some serious flake if that is what you are looking for. I really like using the automotive paints, but get your wallet out if you want a lot of flake or red. Find a good automotive paint supplier in your area, the guys at mine are an invaluable resource.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You guys should see the prices to paint Imron Reds.... $800 per gallon. Snow White is $150 per gallon.

I'm going to look at TCP global for my next vehicle project. My last custom paint job using PPG stuff cost me $2800 for supplies.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Miss Morgan was about $1500 in chroma base dupont, two stage urethane (complete system, primer, sealer, base paint, and clear). I wanted to use Imron, but my local guys talked me into the chroma base. The Chroma base is a lot more user friendly than Imron in terms of flow and application, but has also held up exceptionally well. (both DuPont products) I will have about 800 in Fuggly. Again complete system, but its cheaper because of the color and no metallics. I am also going with a single stage (no clear) Nason urethane. Nason is sort of the builder grade line for Dupont. It saved me a few dollars, and more than anything I am curious how it holds out. I used the Nason single stage acrylic enamel on my Mercury that is on Miss Morgan. I can't complain, it has held up well. The urethane should be a big step up form the acrylic, so we'll see. Bottom line for me is the automotive paints are expensive, but work extremely well as long as you use the correct products. I love gelcoat, but its a chore to both spray and sand and buff. For me the paint works great, but isn't as durable as gelcoat. Wood also has some recommendations on rustolum applications that are great and more cost effective, but no metallics. like a lot of things on here, there is no one size fits all, lol! :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have never sprayed any metal flake finishes...yet! But I have sprayed a lot of pearlescent paints. And the pearl finish was amazing to see. Most Vehicles today use pearlescent finishes. It kind of looks like a really small metal flake but has no flake in it. And you can easily make it look great. I like PPG Shop Line products and am using them for my boat finish. I believe I painted a car with PPG Shop Line paints for around $600 dollars for everything. Understand that red colors will be the more costly paints to buy. The only thing i will say with great certainty, use just one manufacturer's products. Don't mix them. In other words, If you go with PPG products, use all their products to get the correct finish. The are designed to work with each other. Don't mix one manufacture's primer and another's base coat and yet another's clear coat. That could be asking for problems and incompatibilities. If you go Rustoleum primers, then use their paints as well. JMHO

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys still working on my transom and going to be starting on my prepwork. I found a website paintforcars.com. seems like it has some good reviews just wanted to get your input. Prices seem really good. For my basecoat am I wanting acrylic urethane or enamel? Thanks again!

harleyman1975

Ensign
Just for you guys who are familiar with Pro automotive refinishing systems. Lessonal, Diamont, Glassruit, and Sikkens are all POLYESTER base coats and the base coats can be catylized for enhanced durability. Of course this is all bringing the cost of materials up over a grand/fifteen hundred (which is probably not what the DIY'rs) are looking for. (and people wonder why body work is so expensive)

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well as the day goes on I mean finding many mixed reviews correct that website. I may end up staying away from them. If anybody has used them please chime in

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also what kind of air compressor do I need to be looking for with out breaking the bank? I've found some really good priced ones that are 30 gallon? Would this work or do I need to think bigger? Will the size depend on the gun I buy? Or the other way around

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I got a Craftsman 60 gal.compressor off Craigslist 5 years ago for $250. She's shot a LOT of paint etc.. and she's still going strong.

harleyman1975

Ensign
CFM's is what you need. the 60 gal tank will give you initial volume but you need a pump that can keep up with what you are doing and at the pressure you are doing it at. We use a 2 stage pump in our facility. a 2 cyl single stage (MIGHT) keep up with your hvlp gun but it will be running non stop.