wax removal

MattCat

Cadet
This is my first post here and apologies offered if this is an oft asked question, but I could not find the answer in a search.

Also, as an intro (many forums DO appreciate the gesture), over the summer, I became a first time boat owner (40+ y.o. Marshall Sandpiper) - retirement present to my self
thumb.gif
. However, I am very familiar with this model having sailed my father's for many years. But HE always maintained it
joyous.png
. For those who may not know, the Sandpiper is a 15' Cape Cod cat boat and is all fiberglass construction, I believe only the transom and rudder are plywood cored.

I decided the interior beige was not to my liking and the paint was failing in places. I have stripped the seat tops and the floor in the cockpit. And have mostly sanded the remainder of the interior. I did NOT remove any contaminants before (my bad). I have a sneaky feeling, judging by how easily some paint came off the floor and seat tops, that the surface was not properly prepped before the first coat of paint

Request: Suggestions on making sure there are no contaminants, either from poor initial prep or from my sanding without dewaxing/degreasing. I do have access to a power washer AND if possible would prefer not to use the nasty solvents unless absolutely a must.

-thanks

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The biggest trick for degreasing for paint paint prep is not to let the degreaser dry on the surface, Wet rag in one hand wipe a small area, float the oils, and wipe off while still wet.I do alot of automotive paint, and while there are Low volatility degreaser/de-wax products out there now they don't work as well as the old school alcohol/h2o products. Fiberglass I like acetone.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could start with a typical dish detergent and go over everything. then move up to other solvent chemicals like Acetone, or Lacquer Thinner or something like those.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
TriSodiumPhosphate is an excellent de-greaser Pre-Wash followed by Acetone. It's important to use a Lot of Clean Rags so you don't Spread the contaminates.

MattCat

Cadet
Thanks all. I know there are many words written that Acetone is NOT a nasty chemical the will permeate the skin, but let's just say I'd rather err on the side of caution. That said, I'll prolly use it with a scrub pad (and plenty of clean rags) with my hands well protected and the use of my supplied air respirator. And since TSP and Dawn are oft recommended, I would hope that mixing them together in a bucket would prove very efficient.

Unless someone knows better. And yes, I am sure this would be judged as overkill.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Acetone IS nasty butt...If you wear latex gloves and a respirator mask, you'll be fine!!! Combining Dawn and TSP might be ok, but as stated, prolly over kill. Either one by itself would do the job nicely.;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think you would be okay with mixing Dawn and TSP, however I would use one or the other personally. But that is just me. However, I would NOT try introducing Acetone with that mix. I'd use Acetone all by itself if you are going that route. Mixing, even general household cleaners and chemicals, can cause some serious issues. Just be safe. JMHO

MattCat

Cadet
I think you would be okay with mixing Dawn and TSP, however I would use one or the other personally. But that is just me. However, I would NOT try introducing Acetone with that mix. I'd use Acetone all by itself if you are going that route. Mixing, even general household cleaners and chemicals, can cause some serious issues. Just be safe. JMHO

Thank-you gm for the cautionary advice. Rest assured it was NOT my intent to mix acetone with anything. I learned early in life some things may not mix with other things - like ammonia and chlorine bleach, (but they are great to pour down a varmint hole ;))

BTW, if anyone wants to know, TSP and non-ionic detergent (Dawn) are just two of the three cleaners mixed in water to prep-wash houses - bleach being the third.

Yes I am going for overkill on this one as long as no one can relate known detriments.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't stress over the cleaning method or the toxicity of the products. TSP and Dawn (I like TSP better) work fine. I rarely if ever use acetone on a large area, small cosmetic repairs sometimes, but on large repairs never. Acetone isn?t great for you, but any negative effects are from long term repeated exposure, not one time use in an open air location with gloves and a mask.

The original poor bond probably didn?t have much to do with contaminates, more likely poor prep (sanding) or incompatible products. Had you said this was the bilge of an old I/O then contamination would be a likely issue.

The bond is going to be more influenced by how well you can abrade the surface, if the surface is rough you can?t easily reach the low spots, and this will be the weak point. Sanding 100% of the surface of a roving finish is hard to do without removing too much of the roving itself.

MattCat

Cadet
<snip>
The original poor bond probably didn&#146;t have much to do with contaminates, more likely poor prep (sanding) or incompatible products. Had you said this was the bilge of an old I/O then contamination would be a likely issue.

The bond is going to be more influenced by how well you can abrade the surface, if the surface is rough you can&#146;t easily reach the low spots, and this will be the weak point. Sanding 100% of the surface of a roving finish is hard to do without removing too much of the roving itself.

Thanks ondarvr. and you just brought up the subject of my next question - but I'll start a new thread so this don't way OT.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Find a paint stripper that will remover the paint, might need a little help from a pressure washer, then use a wire brush to reach the bottom of the texture.

MattCat

Cadet
keep it in this thread, makes it much easier to follow

apologies from a noob. Other forums I've joined were oft debating if something like this were better to be spun off or to "evolve" into a new topic. My opinion was that it was easier for searchers to find what they were looking for if it were two threads.

BUT, I will happily go with the norm here.

If one of the mods or admins would like to merge the two threads, I'd welcome the decision.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
A mod can change the title of the thread so it reflects the overall project.