aluminum hull repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeMoe

Cadet
Attempting to restore a 18ft ss and new to the forum.Any suggestions on how to fix this?(bottom rear seam)A few of the rivet heads completely corroded away.

Attachments

• SAM_0576-1.jpg
    SAM_0576-1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2
  • SAM_0578-1.jpg
    SAM_0578-1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 3

Tnstratofam

Commander
Was this boat used in salt water? That looks like some naaty corrosion. You will need to sand down to bare aluminum and drill out the damaged rivets. Then you can replace them with new solid blind rivets.

Before you get to far into it though I would recommend you inspect the rest of the hull for corrosion because replacing a few damaged rivets is nothing when you have swiss cheese aluminum hiding behind paint.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard MoeMoe,

Yeah that's some corrosion alright. Have you gutted the boat yet? If not I urge you to start removing the decking to check the inner hull, seams and transom.

Have you found the Starcraft forum here yet? There's a ton of info and lots of SC restos.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats

fetch

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I do see some serious issues there. I too think you really need to inspect the entire hull before getting too involved. That isn't going to be an easy fix. You may even have to remove sections and replace with new material. JMHO

MoeMoe

Cadet
Thank you for replying guys,boat has been gutted,there is some pitting going on inside of the hull,nothing too deep or to extensive judging from what i have seen in these forums but we haven't removed outside paint tough,who knows what is lurking beneath,but it feels like opening a can of worms,but I thik this forum is going to help me decide wether to move forward with this project or cut my losses and scrap it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you for replying guys,boat has been gutted,there is some pitting going on inside of the hull,nothing too deep or to extensive judging from what i have seen in these forums but we haven't removed outside paint tough,who knows what is lurking beneath,but it feels like opening a can of worms,but I thik this forum is going to help me decide wether to move forward with this project or cut my losses and scrap it.

MoeMoe, sounds like a smart move. Remove the paint and see if there is anything else that looks suspect. If there is and it would cost too much to fix, scrap it. But you may be pleasently surprised as well and find out you have a basic sound hull. JMHO

jbcurt00

Staff member
Moe, no need to have started another topic, in the future, just ask a Mod to move a topic to the forum you think better suited for your topic.

Prevents reposting of pix and repeat discussions of stuff already posted or asked.

Lastly, if you start a new topic that is related to an existing topic, cross post links to those topics so anyone reading 1 topic can easily jump over to the relared topic, no matter which one they started reading, so if they're interested they can continue to follow along

Thanks

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.