1972 Glastron Boat Project

MarioTwins

Seaman
Nice. How is the floor in that boat? Solid?

Lol mostly ? :p

It is a project I will tackle after I get the boat running

The floor seemed solid when I bought it. Only did a walk around test lol (I bough the boat not really know much. But learned lots after joining here)

The transom looks dry everywhere. And only looks painted on the inside. Can see the wood in the motor cutout and all looks good still

The floor has a soft spot right close to the motor cover. So I'm wondering if it is just a bad spot for water. Or if the floor was cutout and replaced in a section

Will have to pull up carpet to see.

I'm really hoping to not have to do major tear down. But like I said if it proves worth while. I will

The hull has been repaired before too which was a bummer.

I do want to get the boat off the trailer one day to wire wheel the trailer and re paint.

Maybe I'll be able to look into it then.

Will try to post when ever I do get stuff done to it though.

Thanks

Dave

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yeah, I was "hoping" too. But sadly hope turns to denial, denial to reality, reality to acceptance, and acceptance to the joy of a full restoration.....LOL!! Check out my link, you'll see what I mean!

MarioTwins

Seaman
What would cause it to backfire out carbs. Have had them burn off fuel after backfiring too

I don't want to mess with timing to to much since the PO said it did run as is

He did mention the valves may need adjusting. Could that cause it ?

Also these carbs. Do they require the filter be on to run. There's a jet right at the top ? Seems odd I've never seen this setup before

Thanks

Dave

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Carbs should be cleaned. Not sure if they have a filter in the carb housings at the fuel inlet. If not, you need an inline filter. You don't need a filter to run, but is highly recommended... Yes, timing can cause backfire... If the valves are way out of adjustment, the motor should sound noisy when running...... Valves should be able to be adjusted while running. I've adjusted them that way on a car...

I'm moving this to resto.....

MarioTwins

Seaman
I should of been more clear. I'm still new to the boat thing by filter I meant air filter (I guess spark aresstor ? See I'm learning :p )

The jet I'm talking about seems to be pointed straight up ?

I think I will pull carbs off and get them cleaned up
Maybe adjust valves before seeing if it'll start again

Thanks

Dave

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Exposed wood, anywhere on a Fiberglass boat is usually NOT a good thing. Especially in the Motor area. Tapping on the transom, stringers etc. Is NOT an adequate method to determine their structural integrity. Drilling core sample WILL tell you what's going on under the glass lamination. I would recommend a more thorough examination of all these components.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
First thing you need to do to the motor is a compression test. That will point us in the right direction to your backfire. This can be caused by a few different things and a compression test is step#1.

MarioTwins

Seaman
So i found some time today to get some work done on the boat
I started with a compression test as asked in the last post
Armed with my 2.00$ yard sale find compression tester i tested it.
results are from front to back (if that matters at this point)

I also rechecked my plug wires, they were all out by 1 spot so 90 degrees out.
explains my fires and backfires, so i set it properly splashed the carbs and

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...Boat/CD1F24D5-9D9D-488E-A57D-D564A5707A98.mp4

It lives (or is going to live lol)

I put the fuel line into a jug of fuel to see if it would stay running and it just pumps fuel out of the marked holes here stuck floats ?

So i pulled the carbs off for disassembly and cleaning i havent looked to see what carbs these are, wonder if kits are avalable ? Will open them up first to see what im dealing with.

The nuts were a bit of a pain to get to but all came off smooth. Carbs have been sprayed with liquid wrench and will hopefully come apart smooth

This is as far as i got today, maybe be able to go out again tonight to take carbs apart but well see

Thanks

Dave

Pusher

Lieutenant
A late welcome Dave

There's a few of us in Washimgton state across the broder from you.

Did you get the boat registered? If not you might find it helpful to go down there and ask "if" you were looking at a boat of that era without a title how should you approach the process. Ten you can head off any unforseen issues before it's too late.

MarioTwins

Seaman
Not much of an update carbs are still sitting on the workbench.

But heres a couple pictures of the repaired hull I mentioned before

The guy i meet with to sign the trailer over to me said this was how he bought it 10-15 years ago.
I will be looking to repair and repaint the bottom as there are a few other nicks and dings i want to fix too

What is recommended to paint a hull ive googled some with many different results but what is something someone here has done that wont cost a fortune ?

Also found carb kits on e bay 35 bucks a piece, will open up carbs first to see before ordering,

Thanks

Dave

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
hmm if it was repaired 15 yrs ago id say its held up well :) look on youtube for home made sonic cleaner, I used a bucked with orbital sander attached to it hanging from a bungy cord, worked well carb came out clean.
compression is only low because it hasn't been ran awhile, I am betting it goes to 150 after 30 minutes on the water, spray a lil pb blaster in cylinders for good measure.
if I were you I would pull engine , drop oil pan and clean out the pan and the pickup I tore 3 engines down this year that era and all 3 had sludge from wate/gunk
build up so bad that the pickup was almost completely covered, the tops of the engines looked brand new too.
easy to yank a boat engine and reinstall but it would give ya piece of mind and increase longevity.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Nice boat , there is no better place on the net for boat information then here.

MarioTwins

Seaman
Tiny update for you guys today, not to much to write about as I didn't have much time to play lol

I got the carbs partially disassembled and was actually quite pleased with what i saw.
I was expecting total nasty varnish caked everywhere and have to deal with a stinky mess

Was not the case at all
The floats are in excellent shape, floats were my main concern I had a motorcycle a few years ago and 4 of 4 carbs the floats had holes in them
These ones are plastic and have no liquid inside... score

I have them in containers now with some kerosene soaking in some parts.

This last photo here, i asked earlier but will try again, I've never seen a setup like this the jet is pointed up ?
Do the air filers need to be on for the carbs to get fuel delivery proper ? Or will I be able to run this without air filters attached ?

Thanks

Dave

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
In board marine engine do not use air filters. They have flame arrestors mounted on each carb. See here http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/spinners1/Sea Ray 4/IMG_3180_zps66bb8a9a.jpg

They are required. It's the law, yes in Canada too. It prevents backfires from igniting fuel fumes and blowing up your boat. You can get flame arrestors on-line or at any marine supplier.

Glad to see that the engine fired up. The engine in my 1972 Sea Ray had been sitting for 10 years. It took a bit of work but it fired up and runs great. Of course I had to replace all the stuff hanging on the engine. But the block and head was fine.

Last edited:

MarioTwins

Seaman
Another minor update today.
I removed the oil cooler for now to simplify things a bit till i get her running better

Had to swap the threaded tube

I went to the hardware store and picked up a 1/2" NPT coupler

My plan for the time being is to run a rad (heater core) hose to the copper line direct from the impeller, i find this will be a lot easier for just tinkering at the moment

I was also wondering could I thread the marked holes in the photo bellow and thread in barbed fittings and just use rad hose to plum it all back in ?
Input on this would be appreciated

Still plugging away at the carbs will maybe reinstall them tomorrow and see if they function better (still haven't got carb kits) but things appear to be cleaning up ok

Thats all for today

Thanks

Dave

MarioTwins

Seaman
Found some time to work on it again today
So I reinstalled the carbs

Hooked up a waterline from impeller to the manifold (skipping oil cooler see question in post above)

I am leaning towards threading the in and out ports on the cooler and running barbed fittings with hose (seems way more solid of a setup)

Anyways it started up
(im not sure how to post video thumbnails so like all previous posts just links)
Here it is with a startup (dont mind my messy carport)

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...Boat/D075EFCA-5CFB-4D0E-BA86-813024EC8319.mp4

And a couple videos of just running
(juice container is the fuel cell lol)

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...Boat/F9917119-039C-430D-A25A-DE3226F1850D.mp4

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...Boat/3B7BE535-95CA-4B99-ACED-FA1ED416FC78.mp4

Anyways thats all for my weekend update.
I feel like it was fairly successful weekend. Not sure where im going next on the project so well see there.

Thanks

Dave

MarioTwins

Seaman
I'm going to start looking into the wiring next. I'm not sure how to wire in the alternator has 2-3 connections on it. Also looks like there's a voltage regulator that's gotta get wired in some how ?
I will try and get pics of the alternator and the reg with wires for some input :p
I'm looking at doing all new wiring but we'll see if some is salvageable

Also looking for opinions on my oil cooler idea ?

Thanks. Will try to get the pics up tonight

Dave

MarioTwins

Seaman
Got a few photos
Hopefully you guys can help me out.
I know nothing when it comes to wiring here so

Here is the backside of the alternator

Here is the regulator

It 3 wires coming out of it

Im wondering how to get this all wired in correctly ?

Thanks

Dave