flip boat over???? help!!!

luckytempo93

Cadet
i need to turn my boat over to redo the paint and check it out close for cracks. its a 23' cuddy. can i hang it by the front ring and the 2 rings on the transom by chain hoists and than roll it over. just want to make sure that the weight of the boat can be held by those points. i will support it once its upside down.

boatman37

Lieutenant
my opinion is that is a big boat to try something like this on. would be much easier and safer to put it on blocks and inspect and paint while laying on your back?

Ned L

Commander
It can be done, ..... However for what you want to do it is far more effort than it is worth., ......... Ditto with boatman37.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Wowy wowser, that big a boat is sure going to take some serious capable equipment to flip it over. I wouldn't go with some simple hoists and only at the eyes of the bow. I could see some custom made brackets that attach to both the bow and transom with greased up pivot points at both places and some careful help to assist in such an effort. Think how you would flip over a car. It isn't that simple when you realize that even a little mistake is a smashed hull or worst, a person getting seriously injured. Unless you can get some boat handling place to flip it over for you, I would forgo that option and work with it laying underneath. JMHO

tpenfield

Staff member
Very few boats can actually be lifted by the eyes. So, unless we are talking about a Grady-White, a Formula, or a few other top-shelf brands.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Agree with all the above. It can be done but it is a lot of work for what you need to do it for. There are some jobs that can't be done or it would be way easier to do if the boat is flipped. Painting the bottom is hardly one of them. I would just jack the boat from the keel on two different spots (transom and bow) and rest it on blocks, support the side by two boat jacks and paint the bottom of the hull. When your paint is cured/dried, remove the blocks and stands and paint the areas that was supported. No one will ever look that close except fish maybe.

Just to get an idea of what is involved and to give you some pointer if you still insist on turning it, take a look at this

and this (the wheels here are too small in my opinion)