Polishing aluminum

Bryonreid

Cadet
Hey everybody. Working on restoring and aluminum boat. I want to polish the hull and give it a matte finish. I do not want a high polish mirror finish. Any suggestions for methods/ products? Thanks for the time and the help!

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure that it would be possible to get a uniform look. No way I know for it not to be spotty looking with polish without bringing the metal all the way up.. Soda blasting might get the finish your looking for.. Scotchbrite is my go to when I'm looking for industrial on aluminum. Maybe others will chime in.....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Careful use of a scotchbrite pad, used in only 1 direction, can evenly create a matte finish once you get the aluminum buffed to an even sheen.

But it all has to be pretty close to the same sheen 1st, then gently remove the polished look.

Most matte metal finishes create the look of grain on the metal. Using a scotchbrite also does that.

If thats the look you're going for, I've seen it done, and done well.

Why matte?

What boat?

Pix?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
once done, use copious amounts of sharkhide or similar product as the aluminum will start to oxidize rapidly

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW that is a lot harder to accomplish then you think. Like stated previously, sanding, even with Scotchbrite pads, will never look uniform because you literally can't go all one direction. Either an acid wash or have it bead blasted is about as close to making it look matte or satin as you will get. Honestly would be easier to polish aluminum then matte finish it. And once you do get it matted, it will corrode very quickly because all aluminum has a corroded surface. And once you remove that surface finish, it will corrode again real quick. Post some pictures for us to see what you are dealing with. We could come up with better ideas. :noidea: