Dillon Laker 14/16.5 Wooden Tunnel Hull Build/Mod Project

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
:lol: It was actually at the one in Corpus Christi, TX down by the big mall right off of South Padre Island Drive (or SPID to the locals). The closest Chili's to me is over an hour away, which is far enough to keep me from giving them a second chance to kill me. And I'm just fine with that.;)

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Very funny way of looking at it Mopar. I'm not a huge Chili's fan either. Not really a fan of any sit down fast food. If I had to pick I'd probably go with Applebee's.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
On a positive note, being allergic to jalapenos was what prevented me from taking the pepper spray certification class when I was working as a MP. To get certified you have to get sprayed with it directly in the face and then fight off a mock physical attack. Lucky me.:p

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
however that ten% just put you in the new tax bracket where as you used to pay 5 % tax now you pay 15% so ... yeah sorry :)

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Always room for one more. Welcome aboard. The project seems to have currently stalled out in the dry humor dock due to the weather though. We're supposed to finally get back above freezing on Friday, so I'm planning to try to get some more pieces glued onto the Port sponson then.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ehehe dry humor :) we liftin ya spirits man so you not so sad whilst being sick and not getting any work done:)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gmp440, have you thought about buying some foam sheets from Lowes or HD for your insulation in your tent? It comes in 1/2", 3/4" and even 1" sheets and not that expensive either. Line the walls with that and it would give insulation capabilities and well as some structural support. It eve comes with one side foil lined to reflect the heat back into the tent. Just a thought. :noidea: I actually used that to insulate the garage door on the work shop and It did make a pretty good difference.

My head sinus cold crap is easing off a little today. That is if I don't bend over to pick anything up. Then the head still throbs yet. But a lot better then a couple days ago. Hope you're feeling better as well.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've thought about it, buying insulation for the tent, but what ever money I use that doesn't make the boat float is just going to prolong the build. The plan is to just suck it up and deal with it, once the doc gets my meds straightened out. With it being Christmas this month, my planned budget for boat materials already took a back seat to some other stuff. So now I'm going to have to wait until I get paid next month before I can buy any more wood and ply for it. My B-day is in Feb, so I'll just make up for it then.;)

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I hear you on the budget. I'm staining and polying wood for a ledge in my garage for one of my jobs and my little space heater does nothing to keep the place warm. My budget is "use what you already have". Some day I will plumb in another zone but not today.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha, I totally understand the money issues. Ad this time of the year it gets even worst. So do what you have to, but don't force yourself to work in temps that are dangerous. JMHO

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
A boat budget is so hard to keep. More power to you. Then there is also the realisation like me that 1-2 years has now gone to 4 yrs. :embarassed: Gots to do what you have to do.
It all adds up but look at it this way .. you got a bunch a great new boat buddies, great ideas bacdk and forth and and you're insights to help the others on their merry rehabs.
The hardest part I found is looking out the window on a snow chilled day at the boat that is waiting to be finished. :faint2:
KC

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well the Laker is in a tent behind the barn, so it's impossible to see unless I go stand inside that tent. My wife's got an identical HF tent that she uses for keep the feed and hay in for the chickens. Her tent is set up in front of my south facing windows, so I can't see the tarp covered Rambler in the back of the pasture, unless I step outside. At least I've got all the pics in this thread here to remind me what I'm working on.:D

As far as the budget goes, I'm used to it coming and going (and going, and going and going...) so I just do the best I can with what I have. That's why I like to trade stuff for parts and materials as much as I can.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, it's Friday. My back is throbbing from all the precipitation (snow) that just moved in, the promised 33* temps turned out to only be in the mid 20's, and I've had a migraine since about 2am. Sorry guys, but it's not looking good for making any progress on the Laker today. :grumpy:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hang in there, its more about persistence......the turtle always beats the hare at this game. Hope you get to feeling better!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Something tells me you'll make up for it once you're feeling better. Don't sweat it, there is nothing you can do about back pain or sickness. Ride it out and cruise the forums.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm about 142 pages into jasoutside's War and Peace length build thread on his 22' SC Islander. I'm also simultaneously reading other build threads as I come across them in peoples sig lines. It helps keep my mind on boat building even if my body can't hack it right now. I may be down at the moment, but I'm definitely not out. :tea:

And I'm still waiting on my new meds from the VA to arrive. Apparently they are being sent to me via the slowest possible means of delivery.:facepalm::frusty:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Jas' threads are all great reading. The islander thread is the very first build I read. I have been reading a bunch of threads lately too. Mostly the Splash nominees. Some nice projects out there. Sorry to hear about the meds. It's never easy.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well on the bright side, one of the new meds showed up in today's mail. Good news...sort of. Unfortunately the doc didn't include any info on which of my current meds this new one is supposed to replace. And since it's Saturday, I can't get in touch with him or his nurse to ask either of them for clarification on the question of which meds he wants me to be taking until Monday.:mad: You just can't make this stuff up...:facepalm:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well on the bright side, one of the new meds showed up in today's mail. Good news...sort of. Unfortunately the doc didn't include any info on which of my current meds this new one is supposed to replace. And since it's Saturday, I can't get in touch with him or his nurse to ask either of them for clarification on the question of which meds he wants me to be taking until Monday.:mad: You just can't make this stuff up...:facepalm:

Have you tried to contact a pharmacist and ask them. The could tell you which med substitutes for another. :noidea: