Dillon Laker 14/16.5 Wooden Tunnel Hull Build/Mod Project

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
brrr, yer it got cold in winter here too, we got a frost 1 night... :chuncky: on the flipside we expect plenty of days over 45c (113f) in summer

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
hmm it got to like 62 last night I was freezing ma *** off :) why it was so cold I almost went and put a heating blanket in my bilge to keep the engine warm :)

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
:lol: we don't plug the block heaters in on our vehicles unless it's going to be under 0*F for an extended period of time. They'll be getting plugged in this week for sure. The highs during the summer usually are just in the 90's (F) around here. Most houses around here don't even have an air conditioner. Never would have been able to survive without one when I lived down south in MS, TX and PR though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The coldest I ever experienced was -35. But that was in Anchorage, Alaska, at Elmendorf Air Force Base. Had 7 feet of snow when I arrived and it only got worst from there after. :eek:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
my daughter was 5 and we had a cold snap and it was 28 outside my youngest daughter was like mom dads lying temp doesn't even go that low on a thermometer! rofl spoken like a true florida girl :)

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
gm280
​Coldest I've seen was -44 for almost a week straight when we lived on the ranch in Wisdom, MT. I had ice forming on the bedroom wall right behind the headboard for a while. And yes, I mean there was ice on the wall INSIDE the bedroom, not just what was on the outside of the building. :eek:

That ranch is sitting at 6300' above sea level in the middle of the Big Hole Valley, so the cold temps are always harsher there than what we see over here at my house which is only at 5K' ASL.

mickyryan
My wife is from Mississippi, but she's been a trooper dealing with the major climate change compared to what she was used to in the south. I can only imagine what your daughter would say if she was ever up this way and got to see snow in person. ​:smow:

As far as the temps this week go, if I can ever get feeling well enough to get out there, I'm going to try to see if I can get the tent warmed up enough, and for long enough, to glue that Sheer Clamp and Sponson Battens on the Port Sponson.

FWIW: I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. :grumpy: I don't do well just sitting around on my hands for very long. I get stir crazy after a bit and if I don't do SOMETHING, I tend to try doing stuff I know I shouldn't. My wife usually chews me out when I do stuff like that, but by the time she catches me, the damage is always already done.:facepalm::embarassed::der::wacko::nono:

Last edited:

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good thing my snowball throwing arm won't reach FL. I could just mail you a few and let you hand them out to the kids for Christmas.:D

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
hahaha
I think florida has laws against mailing hazardous materials :) dem snowballs has a msds sheet? :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam you beat me to it. Never eat yellow snow and don't ask me why I know that either. :facepalm:

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
hahaha
I think florida has laws against mailing hazardous materials :) dem snowballs has a msds sheet? :)
:D MSDS! Whazzat?:lol:

As far as yellow snow goes, that reminds me of a funny story. Me and my ex were hiking in the woods around the Lake Tahoe, NV area. She was getting cold and had to take a leak. I decided to do the same so I wandered off behind a tree to do my thing and give her a bit of privacy as well. After a very short while, I heard a bunch of screaming and hollering like something was killing her. I ran over to see what was the matter, only to find her in a very unflattering position. She had sat over a fallen tree like it was a seat letting her posterior hang over the other side. Well, while she was in the middle of answering natures call, she lost her grip and slipped backwards over the log. She landed her lady parts right in the cold (and wet) snow with her pants effectively hog tying her legs over the top of the log. I had to pull her up to help get her off the ground and the log, but not before a little well deserved ribbing took place. :loco:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:D MSDS! Whazzat?:lol:

As far as yellow snow goes, that reminds me of a funny story. Me and my ex were hiking in the woods around the Lake Tahoe, NV area. She was getting cold and had to take a leak. I decided to do the same so I wandered off behind a tree to do my thing and give her a bit of privacy as well. After a very short while, I heard a bunch of screaming and hollering like something was killing her. I ran over to see what was the matter, only to find her in a very unflattering position. She had sat over a fallen tree like it was a seat letting her posterior hang over the other side. Well, while she was in the middle of answering natures call, she lost her grip and slipped backwards over the log. She landed her lady parts right in the cold (and wet) snow with her pants effectively hog tying her legs over the top of the log. I had to pull her up to help get her off the ground and the log, but not before a little well deserved ribbing took place. :loco:

WOW, I almost thought you were going to say the log was full of ants there for a second. Certainly have to watch out for ants AND snakes laying up against logs in the woods around here. :eek:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Now that's funny stuff, lol. My mother told me a story when I was younger about using a poison ivy leaf as a piece of toilet paper while answering natures call.....I still cringe as I think about that....lol.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Now that's funny stuff, lol. My mother told me a story when I was younger about using a poison ivy leaf as a piece of toilet paper while answering natures call.....I still cringe as I think about that....lol.

OMG, if poison ivy or poison sumac or even poison oak are anywhere near me in the woods, I get it. And I get it seriously enough to almost need hospitalized. I can't even imagine what would happen if I use poison ivy for toilet paper. :faint2::boom:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I used to be allergic but this old guy had me take poisen ivy extract pills onces they were tiny white pills and I never ever got it again and I was one of those within a mile got it everywhere kinda people.
as far as wife story goes that was a classic I bet she was fit to be tied :) pissed off ya might say :)

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
No snakes in the winter up there, or insects for that matter. They all hide or hibernate when it get's that cold out.

For me it's jalapenos that get me bad. I found that out when I had a grumpy waitress serving us at Chili's one day. She didn't like fact that either she forgot to tell the cook I asked for my nachos without them, or the cook forgot and put them on anyway. When she brought them to the table and I saw the jalapeno slices all over it I asked her to have them remade without them. She gave me a dirty look before snatching them off the table and bringing them back to the kitchen. When she brought the plate of nachos back out without them they looked like the same to me and I asked he if they were. She said "No, the cook remade them!" in the snootiest tone I've ever heard from a waiter/waitress. I took one bite only to immediately discover that the nachos were doused with jalapeno juice. Before that, I just was never a fan of hot stuff, so I avoided hot stuff like that. However, it was at that exact moment that I found out I was allergic to them after I took that first bite. My face got all red and swollen and my throat almost completely closed up from the swelling to where I could barely breathe. That happened in the early 90's and I never went back to that Chili's after that. My ex wanted me to sue them, but I learned to loathe lawyers from prior experiences, so I just sucked it up and treated it as a lesson learned.

EDIT: Woo Hoo! I got promoted to first class! Now my iBoats rank matches what my Navy rank was when I retired. So now who do I ask about the pay raise?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gpm440, If you find out who does the pay raises, let me know. I have gone way over my intelligent level years ago. I was wondering what type retirement plan they have going on here at iboats? :noidea:

I have never heard of anybody allergic to jalapenos (ja lap in Os). Obviously the wife and I are not or we would be dead by now. :facepalm:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The pay raise is automatically added to your account. You now make ten percent more than you used to. Congrats. Why not go out and treat yourself to a nice Chili's dinner:laugh:
Chili's is an appropriate name for a restaurant up your way huh? lol