Sealing fiberglass hull deck

Blacklab

Cadet
I'm thinking of laying down a barrier coat on top of a well sanded fiberglass deck before using WOG's Majik paint technique (Roll and TIp). I was originally going to use Gluvit, but then figured why not use Rustoleum Tub and tile kit (2 part epoxy) for bathtubs. It has the added benefit of being about half the price of Gluvit and seems to cover more square footage. I even considered a fiberglass pool paint.....why not, it's certainly waterproof? Has anyone else done this with success or failure? Thanks in advance for your reply.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
When you say barrier coat, does this means that it is not the final coat and there is going to be a finish coat on top of it?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Deep:
I'm thinking of laying down a barrier coat on top of a well sanded fiberglass deck before using WOG's Majik paint technique (Roll and TIp)......

Did you lay a new deck and new fiberglass/polyester resin?

Or you sanded the existing (original) fiberglass? Which is likely gelcoat?

If its all new work, w no gelcoat final finish, sure an additional layer of protection, beneath an oil based enamel (w hardener) final finish might provide an additional layer of protection. It will also need to be sanded to prep it for WOGs enamel paint method.

If you've sanded gelcoat, and its mostly in good shape, I dont think you'll gain much extra protection coating over it before the WOG paint method. But it might give you additional confidence that its well sealed.....

Rusto 2 part epoxy tub system is rated for going over fiberglass tubs?

Interesting idea, got before pix?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If the deck is fresh laid fiberglass then the tub and tile kit should work just fine. It's formulated to adhere to procelin and fiberglass. Not sure about UV protection cuz it IS epoxy based and epoxy usually deteriorates in direct sunlight,

Blacklab

Cadet
Sorry, no pictures.

The entire topside was previously covered with what looked like "Stucco" (maybe Kiwi grip). I took it off because it looked terrible and I was concerned it might have been hiding old repairs. I managed to take it down to mostly gel coat with a few areas of roving showing through. I filled and faired back to smooth. One smalI section of the perimeter was cracked and has been cut out and a new piece glassed in and faired. I also found some very small areas of delamination, which have been injected through 1/16" drill holes with polyurethane Gorilla glue in a 1 -2 inch circumference. I figured barrier coating with a 2 part epoxy would just be cheap insurance against future water infiltration. I also plan on priming with Majik sandable primer before the alkyd oil based paint with hardener.

So glad to have this forum to read and inspire confidence. Thanks to all!

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/tub-and-tile-refreshing-kit